Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with Publishing Agent Tomorrow

Options
  • 07-10-2012 6:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to post again to ask a couple of questions. I posted some info about a possible book that I am writing here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056769486

Basically, I sent a synopsis of the book to a Publishing Agent and they phoned me back. I spoke to him for about 15 minutes and at the end of the conversation he suggested we meet up and discuss the options. In terms of the book, he said the fact that the story is so unique would suggest that it would be picked up by a publisher. I am due to meet him in Dublin tomorrow morning.

I have no experience with this before but I've read that usually the turnaround time for responses from agents/publishers is usually months so I'm hoping the fact that he got back so quick is positive. I've also read though that having an agent interested in an idea doesn't guarantee getting a publisher either.

He has told me about some of the publishers that he worked with in the past but just wondering what else I should be asking him in out initial meeting?

Thanks in advance.

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I would ask about his background, particularly his experience as an agent. Who else does he represent? What deals has he got for them? What sort of client is he looking for? What is the biggest deal he had done?

Is he a member of the society of agents? (Check his listing in the Writer and Artist's yearbook, see if there's a SoA asterisk against his name)

Ask about his rates, for Irish, European, American and World rights. What about e-publishers and e-rights? Does the contract cover this book only, or is it a contract which commits your future books to him? In the event of a disagreement, what does it take to break the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

So how did the meeting go?

Advertisement