Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Life Book - Advice

Options
  • 01-10-2012 5:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am just looking for some advice. I have a pretty unique story to tell. I dont want to go into too many details but basically there is a genetic fault in my family, it wiped out my dads family, 8 out of 11 kids died and now I have to go through a course of Genetic Testing over the next 12 months to find out if I have inherited the faulty gene, there is a 50/50 chance so I compare it to a roll of a roulette wheel.

I have started to write a book, it is mainly about my experiences now but also about growing up with my Dad and his family being so ill (he died when I was 16) but I'm not sure of the process or how I should approach publishers or agents.

In addition to this, a TV Production company working with RTE has show an interest in doing a 1 hour documentary about my story, this would also include the process over the next 12 months. I am meeting with the Production company for the second time next week, would the fact that there will also be a TV programme make a difference to publishers? I have never written a book before but I have worked in media for years.

Any advice would be appreciated, sorry if I went into too much details but I wanted to give you an idea of what it's all about.

Thanks

R.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From your post, what jumps out is the course of tests over the next twelve months and, if you'll forgive the morbidity of this, a diary style book of your own experiences, with details of your family history and a layman-friendly insight into the disease is what's most likely to appeal to readers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

From your post, what jumps out is the course of tests over the next twelve months and, if you'll forgive the morbidity of this, a diary style book of your own experiences, with details of your family history and a layman-friendly insight into the disease is what's most likely to appeal to readers.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I agree, I have started to keep a diary. I am going through different emotions, there is sadness but positivity. Do you think the fact that there will be a TV Programme make it more attractive to a publisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I would imagine you'd have to make a conscious effort to find a lot of positives in your story,(ie: happy memories) too,not only to make it attractive to publishers,but to prospective readers?
    Otherwise it might have the potential to be a very depressing read?

Best of luck.

msthe80s wrote: »
    I would imagine you'd have to make a conscious effort to find a lot of positives in your story,(ie: happy memories) too,not only to make it attractive to publishers,but to prospective readers?
    Otherwise it might have the potential to be a very depressing read?

Best of luck.

Yes, I totally agree. This was one of my concerns too. As I mentioned, there is alot of positivity in the story too. One of the things that I have had to do in my life is remain positive in the most difficult circumstances.

Just to update you on this, I got a call today from a publishing agent today after sending him a synopsis of the book. He was familiar with the TV Production company that I have been dealing with and thinks the story is very unique. I am meeting with him next week to discuss it further. This is happening quicker than I thought so I am pretty happy. Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement