Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I want to live forever.

• 07-10-2012 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Ok so I am young...but at a point in my life when i see what an unhealthy lifestyle has done to my family members.

It restricts you.

I want somthing else.

I am naturally skinny so for years i never really paid much attention to what i ate (mostly junk).

That changed about two years ago and I focused on pretty much eating healthily.

I exercise (running dance , some bodyweight workouts) about 5 times a week. I am trying to add weights soon.

I was just wondering. If you had no other reason but your health and longevity how would you live?

Say it was not about weightloss say you had nothing to lose and it is not about muscle gain or vanity.

It is simply enough to keep you strong and as fit as possible.

What would your life look like?

What would your diet be? What would your exercise regime be?

Just curious:o

And maybe i will get some ideas:-)

How would you get as fit and healthy as possible with the goal of maintaining this for as long as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Diet wise, you want to be eating what our ancestors ate. That means leafy green things, and lots of them. You can have meat once or twice a week, no problem.

As for living forever, it is possible, but there are a few problems associated with biological ageing. Mainly, there's no cure. Although it's possible to engineer negligible senescence (aka ageing) and even repair the effects of ageing damage, most people believe getting old is part of life. Hopefully, we'll get to a stage where the technology to repair ageing comes along. The speed at which it improves should eventually outrun the rate of human ageing altogether. Hey, presto, eternal youth, or at least blocks of it. You could always decide to declare your innings at any point.

Every human renews every cell they're made of every 7 years. In 7 years, the cells that make up you will have disappeared and their places will have been taken by copies. The human body is rather good at this copying, but it can't get all that copying right on the nail every time. Estimates vary, on how many trillion cells there are in a typical human but it's statistically impossible to avoid a few typos in DNA here and there. This is where the problems start to creep in over the years. As they stack up, things stop working as they used to. Same with any machine, biological or otherwise.

For more on the basics, try www.sens.org. Aubrey DeGrey has been working on this question for a while now. A lot of what I know about it comes from his book, ending ageing. The shorter versions are viewable as Ted talks. To be clear, we're talking about extensive periods of youth here, not any sort of Tithonous type scenario. A lot of people mix those up. If your 20s could last 50 years, would you complain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

As for living forever, it is possible,

yeahhhhhhhhh..... in interesting thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Ok so I am young...but at a point in my life when i see what an unhealthy lifestyle has done to my family members.

It restricts you.

I want somthing else.

I am naturally skinny so for years i never really paid much attention to what i ate (mostly junk).

That changed about two years ago and I focused on pretty much eating healthily.

I exercise (running dance , some bodyweight workouts) about 5 times a week. I am trying to add weights soon.

I was just wondering. If you had no other reason but your health and longevity how would you live?

Say it was not about weightloss say you had nothing to lose and it is not about muscle gain or vanity.

It is simply enough to keep you strong and as fit as possible.

What would your life look like?

What would your diet be? What would your exercise regime be?

Just curious:o

And maybe i will get some ideas:-)

How would you get as fit and healthy as possible with the goal of maintaining this for as long as possible?

I don't really make the distinction you are making.

Being overweight is unhealthy.
    Being weak is not being strong.
    Muscle gain helps one to be stronger.
    And being happy with ones body and how one feels is healthy.

The only person I want to impress is myself and my wife.
    I'm not exactly the most vain person in the world, but vanity is a great reason to train.
    If someone looks in the mirror and feels good about how they look, that is healthy in my mind.

So I'd train how I train now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

A good few years back I remember hearing someone that worked in the medical field saying that although people are living for longer, peoples quality of life still declines at the same rate so people are sicker for longer.
    Obviously that was just 1 persons opinion but it does raise the question would you really want to live forever when managing an ever increasing list of ailments would be something to expect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

The light that burns twice as bright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

.......Is rated to a higher Wattage.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

A good few years back I remember hearing someone that worked in the medical field saying that although people are living for longer, peoples quality of life still declines at the same rate so people are sicker for longer.
    Obviously that was just 1 persons opinion but it does raise the question would you really want to live forever when managing an ever increasing list of ailments would be something to expect?

This is exactly the sort of Tithonous error I was hoping to avoid. Accumulating decrepitude is the very thing that can be alleviated. However long your allotted time is, none of it ought to be spent in a nursing home. Better to live your 80 years in a body aged 25.

A classic car can be kept going indefinitely if parts and repairs are performed in conjunction with proper maintenance. Human bodies are biological machines. We know how to fix mechanical machines to the point where they are as good as new. Biological machines are a bit more difficult because we don't completely understand them yet. When we do however, repair will become viable. Internal human repair mechanisms do a reasonably good job at fixing problems, but it's up to us to do the final polish and tidy up of the mess from the repair job at the end.

In the meantime, check out resveratrol. Good stuff if you can get it.

Advertisement