Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad, What do you miss the most.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Grandeeod wrote: »
    We have Irish butter, cheese, bacon and sausages out here, but the bread lets it all down! I even have Spanish/English people asking me to bring some back when I visit Ireland.

I do laugh at my sister in England, there is some stuff here in America that she can't get in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Everything actually, I live in the UK these days so it's very, very similar to Ireland and I get back to Ireland a lot but it's not home. It's funny, growing up I always wanted to live somewhere other than Ireland but now I've done it I miss home an awful lot. Strange the way your mind works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimjam1878

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    Apart from family and friends what do you miss most since living abroad?

I missed batch loaf and tayto crisp sambos.

And of course a big mug of lyons tea.

More of a King fan myself. Nothing beats the batch bread, king crisps and a nice bit of cheese!! If you're still looking Bojangles there's a place in Sydney called Taste Ireland. Think they deliver all over Oz though, they sorted my fix! Seen Tayto in some of the convenience stores too! We're taking over out here!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I'm in Sydney, I don't miss any food as for example Tayo Crisps are rubbish. All I miss is GMT:D I can't stand this time zone, the premiership starts here at 2am sunday and champions league is on 6:45am. No matter how long i'm here I won't get used to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I have another one. I miss the complete absence of mosquitoes/tos in Ireland, what horrible little critters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I miss the football probably the most, the open fire on a cold winters eve too. Oh and of course a decent pint of guiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm in Sydney, I don't miss any food as for example Tayo Crisps are rubbish. All I miss is GMT:D I can't stand this time zone, the premiership starts here at 2am sunday and champions league is on 6:45am. No matter how long i'm here I won't get used to that.

Jesus H ... Could you not just record it :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I really miss watching/going to the GAA matches on a Sunday. Also really miss going for long walks with my dogs and not meeting another person...that doesnt really happen in Sydney! And Superquinn sausages, havnt found anything similar over here yet

statina wrote: »
    I really miss watching/going to the GAA matches on a Sunday. Also really miss going for long walks with my dogs and not meeting another person...that doesnt really happen in Sydney! And Superquinn sausages, havnt found anything similar over here yet

Gah ... why did you have to mention that ... just got some savage craving now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the efficency of the Irish public service!! I've been given apartment as part of my job, and am supposed to get a furniture allowance, but there's two different guys dealing with each and they're having a tiff and won't talk to each other. And I can't contact the second lad directly! So have a lovely big apartment, and no furniture to put in it!! And that's just the beginning of the madness!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barkingmadlolly

I miss the air, you know when you stand outside and there is a certain smell and the way the breeze hits your face, its not the same anywhere else in the world. And soda bread, everything else I can get posted but I crave bread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres a number of bread mixes that you can bring back with you the next time you are home.
    heres the white soda bread and brown soda bread mixes
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=odlums-soda-bread-mixes

theres other mixes they do too in fancier packaging and smaller portions
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=odlums-quick-range

The wife uses them and the results are spot on. She reckons its very easy to mix/ bake so everyones a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I miss Christmas at home. It never feels likes Christmas here.

I also miss Taytos, Kilmeaden cheddar cheese and white pudding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Used to miss king crisps when i lived abroad, now Im back home and can't stand them anymore, don't think I've eaten a packet since i got back a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Hills, mountains... scenery. I do love the Netherlands but we drive north-south frequently and it's so very, very dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I ate whole packet of chocolate digestives yesterday when I found a store (here in Seattle) that sells them. Today i felt a little ill...

Because americans dont have Tea time they miss out on a whole genre of foods like cakes and biscuits etc.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A friend sent me a Cadbury's selection box. Well, it was for the kids but for the sake of their teeth I had to confiscate some :P Never realised how much I missed the Flake and Crunchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

lived abroad for 8 years, i loved getting parcels of lyons or barrys tea, and taytos, i used to ration the taytos to spread them out over a couple of weeks ! :D

silja wrote: »
    Never realised how much I missed the Flake and Crunchies.

Crunchies. yum...

Golden goodness. And you can feel your teeth being eaten away by the sugar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I have another one. I miss the complete absence of mosquitoes/tos in Ireland, what horrible little critters.

If only that was true!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175110

I guess you've been lucky enough to avoid them to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

For anyone who's missing home, keep an eye on this page for the best of upmarket Ireland! It's not a commercial page so mods be kind!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Premium-Paddy/478226025552431

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Family and friends. Small talk and banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

For anyone in the U.S we use www.foodireland.com or www.tommymoloneys.com. we have world market stocks lots. The local Harris Teeter or Bi-Lo has lots of English/Irish brand favourites. I have even bought Dubliner cheese in Aldi.
    Anything else comes in jiffy bags Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Apart from family and friends, I miss the Atlantic, the wonderful scenery, Irish people and the craic and the fact that wherever I live or how long I will live there, there's nowhere else in the world that will ever be home.

...oh, and proper Irish pork sausages ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I miss most of what others have mentioned here along with a few other things:

1) Sport. With the exception of the Aussie Open Tennis I don't like the sport down here and I'm a sports fanatic. I just cant get into it. And all my favourite sport is on at obscure hours.

2) Travel. I miss Ireland's proximity to the rest of Europe, North Africa, Middle East and North America. You can go to an endless amount of places for a weekend, each one offering a different culture and climate, and for cheap airfares. Here you pay a fortune to fly to somewhere which offers nothing different to the city you are living in! Travel abroad and you need to eat into that annual leave fairly quickly, and pay a significant sum of money, and spend a good 12+ hours on a plane each way. The isolation is a killer after awhile.

3) Culture. I miss Irish culture, history, traditions, customs. Australia doesn't have any sort of real culture, history or picturesque architecture. It's sort of a collection of numerous cultures combined in the one area, but with no real identity of it's own. I miss being part of a culture which is unique.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    1) Sport. With the exception of the Aussie Open Tennis I don't like the sport down here and I'm a sports fanatic. I just cant get into it. And all my favourite sport is on at obscure hours.

Twenty years in the USA and I still only have a basic understanding of "american football". EUgh.

At least in the last five years soccer has been growing massively in popularity. And we get most epl matches every weekend.

Baseball is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Baseball is fun.
    Oh I can't watch that. I would fall asleep watching a game. I watch hockey. Other than that the one sport I watch here are ones from home.

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Oh I can't watch that. I would fall asleep watching a game. I watch hockey. Other than that the one sport I watch here are ones from home.

I think a lot of Americans can't watch it either .. hence why they have to get slaugtered drunk to enjoy a game :D

I think a lot of Americans can't watch it either .. hence why they have to get slaugtered drunk to enjoy a game :D

Ha ha ha.

Watching american sports is more about how much you can consume during the match.

Fully 75% of the lead up shows to the superbowl this weekend are about food it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Sense of humour is a big thing. I just do not find Italian comedy all that funny. Oh and Guinness

Advertisement