Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 147 **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Goodshape wrote: »
    So we should forgo all hope for even half-intelligent sci-fi because explosions put more bums in seats? That is, if nothing else, a pity. We're not exactly short of explosive action movies at the box office as it is.

Well its just my perception of it, but, yes...unfortunately so. The aim of this reboot is to introduce Trek to new fans, while still providing a little something for fans of the established canon. The first movie set about stamping out pre conceived notions, & established a completely new time line.

If things go well for Trek, who might see it on tv again at some stage, but I'd guess it'll never be like Trek as we knew it. It might be as good, it might even be better, it might yet be dreadful, but a change of direction was sorely needed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Goodshape wrote: »
    So we should forgo all hope for even half-intelligent sci-fi because explosions put more bums in seats? That is, if nothing else, a pity. We're not exactly short of explosive action movies at the box office as it is.

Anyway, I just hope it's enjoyable at least. And I'm sure it will be. Plus, who knows what will happen next. Maybe a change of pace now that JJ is away doing Star Wars.

Still no name for Cumberbatch's character? Maybe it's just not important? Seemed a bit conspicuous by it's absence in the trailer though.

People who have seen 30 mins have been blown away by it so far. Cumberbatches villain is
    John Harrison..for now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

FutureGuy wrote: »
    People who have seen 30 mins have been blown away by it so far. Cumberbatches villain is
    John Harrison..for now

Good to hear. I was a bit underwhelmed by what I saw in front of The Hobbit – but I don't think that counts for much. Was only 10 minutes or so and felt like the story was yet to start.

And I'm not buying that
    John Harrison
    name :). JJ likes a mystery... I'm betting there's more to it than that. And it does have me a bit excited to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

2a8veeO.jpg

Check out behind the low clearance sign, on the distribution node thingie.
    "bit.ly/WyJV4F"

Brings you to a poster on the official website.

And also, she's hot so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Srianadh

I see the Scottish Nationalists are going mental because the Union Jack (featuring the cross of St. Andrew) features in the trailer. Some people need to get out more! Still cannot wait for this to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Srianadh wrote: »
    I see the Scottish Nationalists are going mental because the Union Jack (featuring the cross of St. Andrew) features in the trailer. Some people need to get out more! Still cannot wait for this to come out.

I suppose they think there's no point voting in the referendum now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Looks like I'll have a spare ticket for the press screening of Into Darkness - any, er, press types that got left off the list might want to pm me.

Beware, it's on at 10.30 am IMAX Dublin next Tuesday May 7th - so be sure you can attend.

Edit - ticket has been allocated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

ads20101 wrote: »
    I suppose they think there's no point voting in the referendum now.

Or that it's an alternative future/universe.

So, in some Star Trek universe Alex Sammond will be made King of Scotland, invade Ireland and retire to Kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Anyone else think its weird that Into Darkness is being released on the 9th here and not until the 17th in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think it's a bit of a box office ploy.

Piracy internationally is a lot bigger than it is in the states. Their thinking behind it could be to get the international viewers through the door first as there is less risk of the stateside people watching a pirated cam version.

Or they could just be messing about. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Or they'd just invert the trend and half of America will download it. Apparently we're better cinema goers so maybe that's the reasoning though I'm not going to complain either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Lindelof doing a spot of pre-release trolling. :pac:
    Source
    I don't want to give away too much in terms of what surprises the movie has to offer. But I do think what's cool about Trek is it's not scifi fantasy. We view it as hardcore scifi. So you want there to be some sort of technological explanation behind everything. And one of the things that J.J. has been really interested in is to explain and show how the Enterprise works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Goldstein wrote: »
    Lindelof doing a spot of pre-release trolling. :pac:
    Source
    I don't want to give away too much in terms of what surprises the movie has to offer. But I do think what's cool about Trek is it's not scifi fantasy. We view it as hardcore scifi. So you want there to be some sort of technological explanation behind everything. And one of the things that J.J. has been really interested in is to explain and show how the Enterprise works.

Lindelol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So... anybody planning to head to this in costume?

Achilles wrote: »
    So... anybody planning to head to this in costume?

Yep, I'm going in costume as a middle aged male in circa early 21st clothing :D

I'll be in the UK for it so don't have the luggage space for full Klingon garb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll be in the UK for it so don't have the luggage space for full Klingon garb.

Pahtak!

*spits in digust

Heading to the 7:30pm showing with herself (also in costume) in screen 4 in Cineworld on Thursday May 9th. I can't be dealing with any of this 3D rubbish.

Come and say hi if you see us! :-)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pahtak!

*spits in digust

If you were ANY other Category Moderator, I would kill you where you stand.

would love to go in costume, but my friends would actually never speak to me again.

I cant wait, went on a bit of a TNG movie binge on sunday :)

SarahBM wrote: »
    would love to go in costume, but my friends would actually never speak to me again.

I cant wait, went on a bit of a TNG movie binge on sunday :)

You need to stop being friends with people like that then. :-)

• Advertisement

Im very annoyed that the Savoy have no times up for the Friday yet. The Light House are having a Star Trek party but I cant go. Ive already committed my self that evening. there are not enough hours in the day or days in the wk. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems like it's getting some great reviews. Though lens flares are back with a vengeance apparently.

Tons of very positive reviews already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

This film is down as 12A. Would it be suitable for a 10 year old girl?

Knine wrote: »

I can't see the harm to be honest with you.

I hope so as she wants to see it!

I'd say she will be perfectly fine :)

I'd say she will be perfectly fine :)

Yeah I bet she can't wait to trek out the film... huurrrrr hurrr...

Achilles wrote: »
    Yeah I bet she can't wait to trek out the film... huurrrrr hurrr...

It just so happens that her mammy is also a Star Trek time so no time like now for an introduction :-)

• Advertisement

It just so happens that her mammy is also a Star Trek time so no time like now for an introduction :-)

Happy days, need to school her on The Next Generation at least though!

Advertisement