Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First three days...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Wildo, thanks grindle!

Got the bits in the post today, thanks grindle.

tried the preoxidised SS mesh with a coil of the wire twice, although I had plenty of juice in there, I reckon both times I got a hot spot on the coil near the mesh and then it stopped firing, the wire broke itself off just beneath the coil and it lost it's connection.

in my enthusiasm, I'm now down a tank in work, so I need to nurse this kanger T2 through the rest of the day...some more careful examination and rebuilding needed later at home I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Thats the problem with SS mesh..it's a pig to get it right without hot spots near the positive terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You only got it today? That's about a week!
    Maybe small letters disagree with postean's bags, sorry.

The legs from the coil to the battery end have to be very straight and tight, but without kinking the wick. One thing that helps is having the legs doubled and twisted tightly up to the coil, as that'll concentrate the heat there...
    After that it's about balance and shape.

If you get frustrated, just use cotton pad instead of the SS, or take a tiny amount of the cotton and roll it very lightly around the SS where the coil goes.
    Voila, all the wicking of SS, very little of the drawbacks of cotton (extreeeeeemely thin layer!), and zero hotspots.

grindle wrote: »
    You only got it today? That's about a week!
    Maybe small letters disagree with postean's bags, sorry.

Aye, wasn't in a rush and hardly your fault, no apologies necessary m8, thanks for sending them on.
    grindle wrote: »
    The legs from the coil to the battery end have to be very straight and tight, but without kinking the wick. One thing that helps is having the legs doubled and twisted tightly up to the coil, as that'll concentrate the heat there...
    After that it's about balance and shape.

If you get frustrated, just use cotton pad instead of the SS, or take a tiny amount of the cotton and roll it very lightly around the SS where the coil goes.
    Voila, all the wicking of SS, very little of the drawbacks of cotton (extreeeeeemely thin layer!), and zero hotspots.

Will grab a pack of cotton pads on the way home and try those suggestions. I think heating up the wire beforehand might help things.

• Advertisement

First one done with cotton pad and 4 turns in the coil, looped the 'legs' over on themselves and twisted them up...

...works very well, maybe it's the satisfaction of knowing I put it together myself, but I actually think it's better all round.

going to vape the rest of the few drops of eden I put in there and try the SS mesh in the same way...

ok, this whole thing is a bit hit and miss, eh? :P

an hour later, three attempts and no joy. the second try worked for about 1 minute and then started burning. Each time, I seemed to get one wrap of the four actually 'firing' (glowing) when testing with a couple of drops. other premade heads seem to have all 5 or 6 wraps in their coils glowing okay.

Must be doing something fundamental wrong here...going to try another cotton pad one to make sure I didn't totally fluke the first one, (which broke when I took it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Well, there's no way to bodge a cotton pad wick besides having the positive & negative legs touching off eachother, or the positive touching the tube's wall.

With SS you've got a material that's pretty much designed for heat-transference and conductivity, so if there's a weak link it'll show straight away.
    Having one coil lit up could either mean that that coil's not making sufficient contact with the wick, or that it's a smidge too close to another coil.
    Seriously, 1/10 of a mm might be all it needs to be tweaked for a perfectly even glow to show. I've tipped coils slightly apart to a level my eyes couldn't detect - but then the coils glowed evenly, so something happened.

Aye, the second cotton pad wick and coil works just as well as the first... can't see it glowing or anything, just a load of vapour, which I can only assume is a good thing. I'm going to fill up the tank, bring it to work tomorrow and call the evening a win overall.

I'll give the SS mesh another go after the patience meter refills, that should be sometime next week...

Appreciate all the pointers and help.

Advertisement