Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture Resistant Road Tyres

Options
  • 04-10-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Bought a new road bike about 3 weeks ago, everything going well except the amount of punctures I have gotten since. I bought 2 tubes with the bike and a puncture repair kit, at the moment I have two patches left in the repair kit and no spare tubes!!!

Currently my bike has Continental Ultra Sport tyres 700x23C. I'm looking to get a more puncture resistant tyres for the bike so I can commute to work without any punctures, I don't mind fixing a puncture but just not every second day!

I was wondering what would be the best puncture resistant tyre (with a good side wall too) to get that wont effect the general speed of the bike.

I was looking at Schwalbe Durano Plus, Continental GatorSkins or Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Tyre on Wiggle.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

tonkpills wrote: »
    Bought a new road bike about 3 weeks ago, everything going well except the amount of punctures I have gotten since. I bought 2 tubes with the bike and a puncture repair kit, at the moment I have two patches left in the repair kit and no spare tubes!!!

Currently my bike has Continental Ultra Sport tyres 700x23C. I'm looking to get a more puncture resistant tyres for the bike so I can commute to work without any punctures, I don't mind fixing a puncture but just not every second day!

I was wondering what would be the best puncture resistant tyre (with a good side wall too) to get that wont effect the general speed of the bike.

I was looking at Schwalbe Durano Plus, Continental GatorSkins or Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Tyre on Wiggle.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I just fit Schwalbe Marathons to my Hybrid commuter, they are supposed to be bullet proof. But at 600g a tyre I wouldnt fit them to my road bike. I use Continental GP4000s tyres on the road bike and find they have a great mix of grip and puncture resistance. The Gatorskins are supposed to have excellent puncture protection but grip in the wet is not great.
    I did over 5000km on a set of Conti 4 Seasons with only 2 punctures but again wet grip was poor.
    I think a lot of people who suffer multiple punctures are those most likely to cycle in the crud i.e. the rubbish that is pushed to the side of the road by cars and trucks.
    Spend a minute after each spin to inspect your tyres for foreign objects, remove any bits of glass etc before they have a chance to get to the tube.
    Inflate your tyres to at least 100psi to avoid pinch punctures, more if you are heavier than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

I use gp4000s all the time. But I think i should try something else as I find they cut very easily, but I do ride on poor 'roads' a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bought a pair of Marathon Plus just three weeks ago and they added a ton to the weight of my MTB, I ended up removing them and placing them on a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Panasonic Ribmo or Continental Sport Contacts - happy with both. The Panasonic's are probably a bit heavier than the Conti's, but last longer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seve65 wrote: »
    I use gp4000s all the time. But I think i should try something else as I find they cut very easily, but I do ride on poor 'roads' a lot.
    What if they do cut though? Presumably you are talking small slits, perhaps a couple of mm long? I get them all the time. They don't result in any more punctures though (assuming you check for and remove any foreign objects harboured within - particularly small pieces of glass)

GP4000s give a great combination of grip and puncture resistance. Gatorskins give more puncture resistance, but less grip. Nowadays I go with the GP4000s all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

As macnab said, are you sure you're not getting pinch flats due to underinflation (characterised by two holes at the side of the tube where the tube has been pinched against the rim)?

I wouldn't pay those high Wiggle prices, see this thread for my link to cheap Conti GPs (and sy's link to even cheaper ones:)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i have the conti ribmo pretty good but just a rip in the sidewall last week:mad:
    poxy roads.the marathon plus are good but as said very heavy the conti gater is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Beasty wrote: »
    What if they do cut though? Presumably you are talking small slits, perhaps a couple of mm long? I get them all the time. They don't result in any more punctures though (assuming you check for and remove any foreign objects harboured within - particularly small pieces of glass)

GP4000s give a great combination of grip and puncture resistance. Gatorskins give more puncture resistance, but less grip. Nowadays I go with the GP4000s all the time

yes, but up to 0.5cm, so can stretch open a bit at that size so dont exactly give you a cosy feeling about the future of the tyres, and that makes it a bit too easy for the larger foreign bodies to get in. Have to admit I am not that diligent about clearing out the little blighters and they have been the cause of all my punctures, as to whether it takes 1,2, 3 etc rides for them to actually get through the inner layer, I couldnt say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Bontrager XXX Race http://bontrager.com/model/07014 I've never had trouble with them. I'm on my second pair. I had less than five punctures on them in three years. Great tires. The new pair I just bought are a bit more grippy than the previous model. The key is TPI. 290tpi. It's difficult for anything to get through, yet they are light as a feather.

I've thought of trying some of those mentioned by others here, but I had such a good experience, I just went with what I felt comfortable with. The kevlar tires were just too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Schwalbe Lugano Puncture Protected on my bike, done approx 600km on them so far with no punctures so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Get the Hardshell Gatorskins. They are a bit more expensive than the regular but I have yet to have a puncture on one (assuming you take Beastys advice and remove foreign objects regularly). I dont find them too slippy in the wet. I think that the difference in grip between any 23c tyre inflated to 100psi is minimal..

Advertisement