Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which new tyre??

Options
  • 02-10-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I got my first puncture on Sunday afternoon. I went to repair/replace the tube this evening. After inspecting the tyre i noticed it has a cut in it that goes right through. A tread is sticking out the outside of the tyre. The cut is about 3mm long.

Do i need a new tyre? If so what ones would you recommend?

I do about 100k a week on a road bike but hope to add to that in new year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

panaracer ribmo.
    schwalbe durano.
    schwalbe marathons
    continental gatorskins.

all tyres for commuting with a decent puncture protection systems. What type of bike have you? Is it a road bike?

your tyre - i suppose you could try and glue it but your best bet it to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

kingoffifa wrote: »
    panaracer ribmo.
    schwalbe durano.
    schwalbe marathons
    continental gatorskins.

all tyres for commuting with a decent puncture protection systems. What type of bike have you? Is it a road bike?

your tyre - i suppose you could try and glue it but your best bet it to replace it.

I've a fugi newest 3.0 road bike
    I was looking at victoria. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

100k a week deserves the best as decribed. However as described in previous threas depends on your wheels regarding easy fitting and puncture repair.
    Good look. Dont understand why tyre manufactures dont have oversize for deep rims same as pesto long valves on inner tubes, or is it the LBS´s dont stock same?

Just ordered 2 vittoria rubino tyres from crc.
    Anyone use these?
    They got good reviews on crc and seemed good value at €15 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Panarace Pasela. Super tyre, light enough with decent puncture protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

digdeep wrote: »
    Anyone use these?

Don't like them, I found they had very poor grip on wet roads (I was on 700x23's)

Yeah looks like they will be going back (700x23c). What do you use for this time of year or for wet conditions? Thanks Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah looks like they will be going back (700x23c). What do you use for this time of year or for wet conditions? Thanks Lapierre

I use Conti GP4000 all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

The Conti GP4000(s) is probably the best tyre available in terms of the compromise of grip, puncture resistance and weight. The cheapest you'll get them is about €27-28 each from Rose or Bike Discount (plus €8-9 shipping)

BD are doing a very good deal on 24c folding version of the Grand Prix for €17. This has same levels of grip as GP4000s as it has same black chili compound, slightly worse (but still very good) puncture resistance and very slightly heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I use Panasonic panaracer evos all year round. Fast, grippy even in the wet, good puncture resistant even with the slits that develop. Japanese. Love em. Hi-ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

BD are doing a very good deal on 24c folding version of the Grand Prix for €17. This has same levels of grip as GP4000s as it has same black chili compound, slightly worse (but still very good) puncture resistance and very slightly heavier.

I use 24c Grand Prixs on the training bike and really like them! Thanks for the heads-up Paul, I'll be ordering a couple of pairs for "stock" at that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Anyone use these?

I've had then on the bike for over a year and have done the rok and rebel tour on them with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭cassette50

C3PO wrote: »
    I use 24c Grand Prixs on the training bike and really like them! Thanks for the heads-up Paul, I'll be ordering a couple of pairs for "stock" at that price!

Can these tyres take a 23c tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kk2012

i have 2 brand new Vittoria diamante pro radiale iii (700x24) still in the box if anyone wants them cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

The Conti GP4000(s) is probably the best tyre available in terms of the compromise of grip, puncture resistance and weight. The cheapest you'll get them is about €27-28 each from Rose or Bike Discount (plus €8-9 shipping)

Bought some (Grand Prix 24c) recently on Bike 24 for €14.99. Not often that you can beat Paul Kiernan on the best prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

sy wrote: »
    Bought some (Grand Prix 24c) recently on Bike 24 for €14.99. Not often that you can beat Paul Kiernan on the best prices :)
    Well, I'll be damned! Shame on me for missing that:o. That is a good deal though, shame about the tenner shipping:(.

Advertisement