Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who believes in Bigfoot?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well it's not "paranormal" or supernatural, so it's in a different realm to ghosts and goblins and is plausible for sure. Hence why it's more suitable to this forum than Paranormal!

But yeah I tend to believe it's more of a psychocultural phenomenon than anything. Given all of the alleged sightings, often by hunters and the like, it's implausible that no specimen would be found by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

With so many American's out hunting every year,if Bigfoot did exist you'd think at least one would have been shot?? I liked the "Finding Bigfoot" programmes,plenty of eye witness's,but even the experts never got one on camera.

The thing with finding bigfoot they had loads of evidence, they choose not to show it for money the longer they keep the programme going more money they get.

funny the guys name though matt moneymeker.
    theres a guy too on youtube squashmaster he goes by was on the show and they said that what he saw was a person when you can clearly see it wasnt ill try to get the link up to show you. hope it works for me hes the most legit videos ive seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dave! wrote: »
    Well it's not "paranormal" or supernatural, so it's in a different realm to ghosts and goblins and is plausible for sure. Hence why it's more suitable to this forum than Paranormal!

True, in its mythical form its really only a large ape. If it were proved real, it'd still be only a large ape. Bad term on my part

hollster2 wrote: »
    The thing with finding bigfoot they had loads of evidence, they choose not to show it for money the longer they keep the programme going more money they get.

funny the guys name though matt moneymeker.
    theres a guy too on youtube squashmaster he goes by was on the show and they said that what he saw was a person when you can clearly see it wasnt ill try to get the link up to show you. hope it works for me hes the most legit videos ive seen!

Would it not work the other way around, if you can 100% prove there's a Bigfoot creature out there surely investors would be rolling the money in to cash in on exposing it to the world?

Also re the video, I find it hard to believe someone would go to the trouble of going Bigfoot hunting & not bring proper camera equipment? The fps of that video is suspiciously low. They never went up to the tree afterwards either, how do we know it wasn't someone dressed up & the tree was weakened beforehand...allowing someone to push/pull it over?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Would it not work the other way around, if you can 100% prove there's a Bigfoot creature out there surely investors would be rolling the money in to cash in on exposing it to the world?

these guys on youtube have been all told there videos are rubbish by this tv show and loads have refused to appear on it, I still think its money money for them but i totally understand your point.

Also re the video, I find it hard to believe someone would go to the trouble of going Bigfoot hunting & not bring proper camera equipment? The fps of that video is suspiciously low. They never went up to the tree afterwards either, how do we know it wasn't someone dressed up & the tree was weakened beforehand...allowing someone to push/pull it over?

He has proper camera now if you go on youtube you can see all his videos

I understand people think it could be suit, you never know it could have been because of so many hoax videos he has so mant pitures videos up audio why would he go to so much trouble to hoax all these videos!

suppose though people wont believe until proper evidence or its on the news!

• Advertisement

why would he go to so much trouble to hoax all these videos!

Thats what hoaxers do, thats the kick for them. Look at crop circles, some absolutely savage time & effort gone into some of them & for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

He has proper camera now if you go on youtube you can see all his videos

I've looked at a few of them, the footage doesn't seem to be any better tbh... but he does seem to slow down and smooth the videos, which doesn't help.
    A lot of what he seems to be pointing out as sasquaches just seems to be unclear dark/light patches.

I know this guy just seems legit then the idiots that dress up in suits! you should check him out!

I believe there real maybe just too much into the hype of it all

ill show you another video from someone else brilliant video stills of pictures he took!

I've looked at a few of them, the footage doesn't seem to be any better tbh... but he does seem to slow down and smooth the videos, which doesn't help.
    A lot of what he seems to be pointing out as sasquaches just seems to be unclear dark/light patches.

I understand your point, blobsquatches hopefully soon someone can show us all THAT THERE REAL!

ill show you another video from someone else brilliant video stills of pictures he took!

Its funny how the suit they recreated to show what the 'confiscated' video showed looks very close to the one in the video. Also re the scale & size comparisons, all that came into my head was the old Ted adage, "These cows are small, but the ones out there...are far away"

Still nothing there that would convince me :(

• Advertisement

Its funny how the suit they recreated to show what the 'confiscated' video showed looks very close to the one in the video. Also re the scale & size comparisons, all that came into my head was the old Ted adage, "These cows are small, but the ones out there...are far away"

Still nothing there that would convince me :(

the pictures are real the recreation of the video is fake because that was confiscated, everyone has an opinion maybe im just gullable tryin to convince my partner too, lol well suppose until ppl see hard evidence!

the pictures are real the recreation of the video is fake because that was confiscated, everyone has an opinion maybe im just gullable tryin to convince my partner too, lol well suppose until ppl see hard evidence!

Yeah no I know the pics are allegedly real, what I'm saying is its noticeable to me how close the recreation in the video is to to the image in the pictures. If they can make it look somewhat real in a video, surely its not without reason they could make convincing fakes for the pics too.

Your dead right, you have your opinion & your entitled to it. I'm not out to try and change your opinion, I just enjoy the debate is all :)

Yeah no I know the pics are allegedly real, what I'm saying is its noticeable to me how close the recreation in the video is to to the image in the pictures. If they can make it look somewhat real in a video, surely its not without reason they could make convincing fakes for the pics too.

Your dead right, you have your opinion & your entitled to it. I'm not out to try and change your opinion, I just enjoy the debate is all :)

yeah me too! suppose though too those ghullie suits hunters have can be mistaken for a bigfoot well nvr know till someone finds gr8 evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

I very much doubt it exists tbh... Any evidence presented so far, that I've ever seen anyway, could easily be faked imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I believe! Some forests in north America are mahooooosive, and I think the Sasquatch are very small in numbers, and afraid of humans, and also intelligent enough to hide when they feel threatened.

So if the population is so small, how did they not inbreed themselves into non-viability long before now?

And even ignoring the issue of inbreeding causing genetic problems, the generally accepted range for minimum viable population is between 500 and 1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

maybe they're longlived creatures, maybe they live underground, maybe they're just visiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

So if the population is so small, how did they not inbreed themselves into non-viability long before now?

And even ignoring the issue of inbreeding causing genetic problems, the generally accepted range for minimum viable population is between 500 and 1,000.

Generally I agree with the above. There is one way they could deal with this, by capturing humans and interbreeding with them. Far fetched, as is the idea of Big Foot itself, but it would offer a way out of this conundrum.

maninasia wrote: »
    Generally I agree with the above. There is one way they could deal with this, by capturing humans and interbreeding with them. Far fetched, as is the idea of Big Foot itself, but it would offer a way out of this conundrum.

One of the hallmarks of being a seperate species is generally the inability to breed with members of another, significantly different species, species, and can only happen imperfectly when breeding is possible (e.g. horse donkey crossbreeds mules and jinnys are sterile and cannot themselves breed).

Given the reported differences between humans and bigfoot (yeti, etc.) I would have to say that any members of such a species would be significantly different from modern humans, probably along the levels of the human/chimpanzee divide. Capturing humans for breeding purposes is in all probability non-viable.

Ah but is Big Foot, if it exists, really such a different species from humans? It is in fact more likely that if the species exists it is a member of the homo genus, many of which were proven to exist until relatively recently and interbred with modern humans.

Never mind the Neandethals, how about an interesting example only discovered just a few years ago. Three homo species probably lived within 65kms of each other at the same time and also probably interbred. The history of human evolution is far more complex than the present example of Homo Sapiens suggests.
    Genetic analysis of the finger bone has since indicated that it was a remnant of
    a previously unknown hominin, distinct from both early modern humans and
    Neanderthals — the heavily muscled Homo species that cohabited with
    Homo sapiens in the region from 50,000 to 30,000 years ago. Early modern
    humans, the results suggested, shared parts of Eurasia not only with
    Neanderthals but a totally different human-like creature, and all three
    probably came into contact (the finger bone was found within 65 miles of known
    Neanderthal and modern human sites).
    "I speculate that we may discover that it is an oversimplification to talk
    about particular exodus events from Africa," says Pääbo. "There might have
    instead been a continuous gene flow and migration."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1974903,00.html#ixzz2MhQCOLcw

What's interesting about the Denisovians is that they have been proven to exist from genetic sequencing of DNA from a finger bone and almost no fossil remains exist.

So, what's to say that the Denisovians or some other Homo species didn't exist in N.America too and hadn't crossed the ice bridge from Asia 10,000s of years ago? It's always a possibility. Did they go extinct already if they existed in N.America. Most likely. But who knows whats out there in the woods :).

maninasia wrote: »
    Ah but is Big Foot, if it exists, really such a different species from humans? It is in fact more likely that if the species exists it is a member of the homo genus, many of which were proven to exist until relatively recently and interbred with modern humans.

We don't know, but given the differences between human physiology and what little has been "reported"* of bigfoot physiology, it is reasonable to state that there is a greater than 99% probability that the two species (if bigfoot exists) will not be close enough genetically to interbreed^.

* I fail to see how a few shaky cam recordings of very bad quality amount to evidence, therefore the quote marks.

^ This is the think I hate the most about the Star Trex series, how different species from across the galaxy can interbreed. It is exacerbated in the excerable "Dear Doctor", where we've got two species on the same planet who are incompatible genetically.

• Advertisement

Personally I think most or perhaps all of Big Foot sightings are bears. But MAYBE in the past another Homo species existed in North America at the same time as the Native Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

ye do know bigfoot isnt real ya

a fella admitted that footage was a hoax

DonR8 wrote: »
    ye do know bigfoot isnt real ya

a fella admitted that footage was a hoax

Unless you've proof the phenomenon isn't real, you can't make statements like that. If you're cynical/skeptical about it like myself, feel free to make your points...but sweeping statements like the above don't help the discussion.

Unless you've proof the phenomenon isn't real, you can't make statements like that. If you're cynical/skeptical about it like myself, feel free to make your points...but sweeping statements like the above don't help the discussion.

wasnt there a full documentary made a few years back with the two guys that made the video, and they admitted that it was all fake

The video was dodgy alright. But there are a lot more stories about big foot than just one video.

wasnt there a full documentary made a few years back with the two guys that made the video, and they admitted that it was all fake

I think you're thinking of the alien autopsy, which was done in Camden back in the '90's.

While bigfoot is pretty implausible given the circumstances, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Is that the 'famed' video we all know? I think that has been admitted as being a fake yes...however there's a ton of other sightings/reportings/videos/pics apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

there was yes, i seen it a while back and they(the same two guys) attempted to recreate the pictures/film. But they couldn't lol

it was quite an interesting one, it's probably on youtube somewere. If i come across it again i'll post it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

It was never admitted to being fake. Patterson is dead, Gimlin is alive and continues to back up its authenticity. I believe one of Pattersons children said it was fake as they were sick of having their name attached to it.

Advertisement