Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ae86_lad

was thinking on buying one of the saorview box's for now as i dont wanna change my tv yet. which one is best
    i have a aeriel and boosterbox in the attic, i bought a 50 euro freeview box in the uk about 6 years ago and its worked 100% up till now but has also stopped working. any reason for that. i thought id still get the uk signal

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pow230

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I want to know if I buy a TV from a website like Amazon / Pixmania or other online (non Irish) website, will the digital tuner in it be compatable to pick up Saorview? The TV i have in mind is a Samsung UE22ES5400. It's on the list of approved models on the saorview website but has WXXU after the model name. I don't think it makes a difference but want to be sure before I spend €300 on the TV. I don't know the difference between saorview in Ireland and Freeview in the UK and wonder do they have seperate requirements.

Thanks,
    KP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭squonk

You need to check the specs of the TV and make sure that it's DVB-T2 compatable. If you're buying from the UK it will be freeview compatable but they use MPEG2 encoding for their terrestrial service, we use MPEG4. DVB-T2 uses MPEG4 for HD but is backward compatable with MPEG4 SD so you should be OK then but, like I said, check the specs beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

squonk wrote: »
    You need to check the specs of the TV and make sure that it's DVB-T2 compatable.

The LG xxLK450 & many other Saorview certified sets are standard Freeview DVB-T only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 veidhleadoir

I bought the Digihome brand set top box. Working fine after several attempts of installing it! Walker, Nordmende and Digihome are the brands available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

what channels should the saorview box give?

is it just rte,tv3 and tg4 or what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We should have spent the money advertising saroview on giving free set top boxes to OAP's instead so granny could tell everyone about it.

http://lmgtfy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 veidhleadoir

Plus 3e, rte news now, rte+1,radio stations, Radio 1, RnaG, 2Fm, Radio 1 Extra, Rte Junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

Hi, I'm living in an apartment in Stepaside Dublin and I was looking to get Saorview but I'm not allow to have an Aerial outside on the balcony.

Can I use this saorview box and internal aerial. Would it work I'm wondering.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/sv9135-aerial.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/dvb63.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hi, I'm living in an apartment in Stepaside Dublin and I was looking to get Saorview but I'm not allow to have an Aerial outside on the balcony.

Can I use this saorview box and internal aerial. Would it work I'm wondering.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/sv9135-aerial.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/dvb63.html
    Yes that box will work. Check around as the Akura/Laurus/Walker/Nordmende Saorview Approved boxes are all the same (three buttons on left) and you'll save at least a tenner elsewhere.

The aerial is snake oil.

If the balcony is facing Three Rock or Kippure then you could easily put an aerial up inside the balcony so it's not visible to the outside world. Much better than trying to boost a signal on the other side of a wall. Windows are also good.

Does anyone know where you can get a set top yagi in Dublin , I picked up one years ago and it's grand same size as that all in one yoke but doesn't need power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Hi folks,

I live in south Belfast, and since switchover have been receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn in Louth with no problems.

Unfortunately, since the launch of RTE 1 HD and RTE1 +1, I have begun encountering issues with momentary "freezing" of the picture. Luckily I'm still receiving RTE1's SD output on another channel, and it's coming through fine, along with the rest of the Saorview service.

I am using a Walker WP12DTB-R Receiver, connected to a 10 year old vertically polarised ‘Group C/D’ aerial erected on the roof of my family home, complete with mast-head amplifier.

Could anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? I'd be grateful for any advice anyone has.

Many Thanks!

Advertisement