Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

More to the point, are the posts of the poster in question contributing in any way to meaningful discussion? Or are they going to continue to be allowed to soapbox and post nonsense endlessly?

There were a couple of posters here a couple of years ago who delighted in tying threads here up in knots by making it all about them and their posting style, etc. etc. the effect of which was to prevent any useful discussion on those threads in this forum. Trolling for Jebus I used to call it... doing the lord's work by effectively silencing the good posters here.

I don't know if they got permanently banned or got fed up after a few slaps on the wrist, but moderator action was taken and they don't post on here now.

This is the issue in a nutshell!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How many threads have there been about a-la-carte Catholics? People who reject their accurate label (be it atheist, agnostic, deist etc.) for a cosy one. If they are wrong then why is it ok for someone to reject their accurate label of liar because it might offend them?

Well, I wouldn't call them liars, just in denial :)

Different entirely from someone stating they never said X when posts where they said X are easily found.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So you are happy as a mod to let them continue to do this?
    Posters in A+A can post as they wish within the forum rules - and so far, nobody's recently complained within the boundaries of the written forum rules regarding anybody else's posting style in this thread.
    You seem to have created a logical paradox, thereby making "liar" some kind of hypothetical label that can't ever be applied to anyone.
    Nope, there's no paradox at all. A person can accurately admit that they are a liar if they say that they have knowingly mislead somebody in respect of something. It seems a little unfair to me to extend, in the general case anyway, the idea that a deceit in one domain implies general deceit everywhere.
    If the person is a liar, then what meaningful discussion can you have with them?
    Depends on the breadth of the domain(s) in which they practice their lies, and whether one trusts that the self-confessed liar won't be knowingly misleading elsewhere - for example, a man having an affair might lie to his significant other about everything related to that affair, but be truthful to everybody else about everything else. Is that man a liar? With respect to the affair, yes, but generally? I'd have said not, though I'm sure his SO - on finding out - might disagree.
    More to the point, are the posts of the poster in question contributing in any way to meaningful discussion? Or are they going to continue to be allowed to soapbox and post nonsense endlessly?
    Soapboxing certainly is against the forum rules, however no forum poster has yet complained about it, so you will understand that your friendly moderators cannot action a report which has not been made.

People have, however, reported posts as "lies", but as I've pointed out here - quite adequately, thank you - this claim can never be found to be true, as your friendly moderators do not have full read-access to the intentions of the complained-about poster and I'm assuming - reasonably, I hope, - that end_of_the_road is not going to announce that he/she was fully aware that his/her posts were misleading when he/she posted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's not like end of the road hasn't been asked repeatedly to explain the discrepancy in his two apparent positions.
    But rather that address it directly, he dodged the issue and ignored it completely for pages. And all the while also rambled on about how we were ignoring stuff and how that no one on his side said anything that was untrue. And also repeatedly stating that abortion WAS murder directly contradicting his earlier stance.
    And now, after finally acknowledging this post exists, he offers a lame obviously untrue excuse. No explanation why he claimed what he did. No clarification of his true position.

I'm not sure, given his forte for dodging difficult points, why he should have the benefit of doubt.

But if we assume he does, then to explain all of his actions we have to assume a level of incompetence, ignorance and stupidity that is far far more insulting than calling him a liar.

It's either those explanations or that his position is so flexible and detached from reality that he can believe that abortion is murder and that he never claimed that at the same time. At this point, then there is no functional distinction between it and deliberate deceit.

If you have another explanation for it robindch, we'd all like to see it. Cause end certainly isn't going to provide one.
    But you can bet that when this blows over he'll be right back accusing us of lying and ignoring points.

King Mob wrote: »
    No clarification of his true position.
    That's common with religious posters, many of whom seem to have spent little time figuring out their beliefs on different topics, or trying to stitch them together into a coherent whole. So nothing out of the ordinary there.

Anyway, as above, soapboxing is a cardable offence so perhaps somebody could report a few instances of that? Your friendly moderators don't read every word of every post - especially of posters who excite less and tedium more.

thanks!

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    That's common with religious posters, many of whom seem to have spent little time figuring out their beliefs on different topics, or trying to stitch them together into a coherent whole. So nothing out of the ordinary there.
    It's not so common that they would clearly, directly and repeatedly state their position, then later say that they in fact never said that was their position.

The fact is it's pretty obvious that there's lying going on.
    If theres a better explanation for it, I'd like to know.

Maybe end of the road should stop doing what he's repeatedly accused us of and directly address this discrepancy in his position.
    Or failing that, maybe stop whining when he thinks someone is sticking their head in the sand.
    Or failing that, don't claim that his side never misrepresented (/lied about/ what ever label is acceptable) something, as that is evidently not true. And especially not true in his case. Doing otherwise would unarguably be a lie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyway, as above, soapboxing is a cardable offence so perhaps somebody could report a few instances of that? Your friendly moderators don't read every word of every post - especially of posters who excite less and tedium more.

thanks!

Thing is, end of the road has previously stated that they are not religious.

Personally I don't believe this one bit, bit apparently they don't lie so it must be true. Just like they never claimed abortion is murder of any kind.

Fake news and all that, maybe they are secretly trump? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Posters in A+A can post as they wish within the forum rules - and so far, nobody's recently complained within the boundaries of the written forum rules regarding anybody else's posting style in this thread.

I'm sorry bit this is just absolute nonsense. Are you saying that you are not aware of his posts? that you are powerless to act unless a post is reported to you? since when has this been the rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Well, I wouldn't call them liars, just in denial :)

Different entirely from someone stating they never said X when posts where they said X are easily found.

My point there wasn't that a-la-carte catholics are liars, just that in this forum many have made the point that people should use the appropriate label for their actions and beliefs. If it goes for a-la-carte catholics, who should self-label as christian/deist/atheist or whatever is accurate regardless of that makes them happy, then it should equally go for someone who is lying, regardless of wether that makes them happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Nope, there's no paradox at all. A person can accurately admit that they are a liar if they say that they have knowingly mislead somebody in respect of something. It seems a little unfair to me to extend, in the general case anyway, the idea that a deceit in one domain implies general deceit everywhere.

Yes, but you can't know if they are accurately admitting that they are lying without knowledge of what's in their head (which is impossible). They could be lying about how they lied. How many politicians have said something, had it put to them they said that very thing and then try to weasel out of it by claiming they were taken out of context?
    It's not that if someone lies once they will absolutely always lie, it's that if we are never supposed to label them "liar" without full knowledge of their mind, then we can never label them "honest" either.
    Depends on the breadth of the domain(s) in which they practice their lies, and whether one trusts that the self-confessed liar won't be knowingly misleading elsewhere - for example, a man having an affair might lie to his significant other about everything related to that affair, but be truthful to everybody else about everything else. Is that man a liar? With respect to the affair, yes, but generally? I'd have said not, though I'm sure his SO - on finding out - might disagree.

As I said above, if we shouldn't use "liar" because of a lack of perfect knowledge of their mind, then we can't use "honest" either.
    Purely in terms of forums like boards, if a person is willing to blatantly lie in one subject, it is hard to believe they wouldn't lie in any other. It's harder to believe they wont continue to lie in the same subject. Which makes constructive discussion essentially impossible.
    Soapboxing certainly is against the forum rules, however no forum poster has yet complained about it, so you will understand that your friendly moderators cannot action a report which has not been made.

People have, however, reported posts as "lies", but as I've pointed out here - quite adequately, thank you - this claim can never be found to be true, as your friendly moderators do not have full read-access to the intentions of the complained-about poster and I'm assuming - reasonably, I hope, - that end_of_the_road is not going to announce that he/she was fully aware that his/her posts were misleading when he/she posted them.

Couldn't someone replace "lies" in your last paragraph with "soapboxing" and make the same point though? "I'm not soapboxing, it's that no-one else has made a counter that requires more than hand waving away". You can't know that they don't believe that in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Isn't trolling also against the rules of the forums? Yet isn't.... like lying..... trolling also a presumption to know the mind and intention of the person being infracted for it? After all trolling is defined as things like DELIBERATELY posting emotional or inflammatory messages in order to incite an emotional (usually angry) response from the targets. How can we infract anyone for trolling when to do so ALSO means we have to know their mind and intentions?

It would seem to me that what is being proposed here would not only remove many words like "liar" and "honest" from the lexicon of words we can meaningfully use, but it would make quite a lot of moderator action untenable under many of the rules.

What certainly does make constructive discussion impossible is not just the lying however. A user who ignores openly (and later claims to have replied to posts that were demonstrably not replied to) posts and points and comments directed at them........ waits some days........ and then jumps in to reply to posts and comments directed at someone else.......... is precluding constructive discussion from the outset by not actually engaging in any.

Rather than constructive discussion, what the user is creating is a form of guerrilla warfare discourse where they refuse to engage upfront, but occasionally pop up out of the swamp to take pot shots before disappearing again and running away. And to compound this the "pot shots" appear to mainly consist of claims to having had rebutted arguments before that they do not appear to have actually rebutted. And then running away when asked to either A) link to where they actually did that or B) present the arguments anew.

I am all ears to have it explained to me how constructive discussion is to be attained therefore with someone who A) Claims to have said things no one can find them having said B) Claims NOT to have said things people can post multiple examples of them having said C) runs away from any attempt to discuss anything with them D) Jumps in to take, and then retreat from, pot shots at discussions others people are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Surely moderators can act on their own initiative. The traffic in this forum is not so high that obvious breaches of the rules can go overlooked. In any case I'm not going to un-ignore a poster simply to report their posts...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Surely moderators can act on their own initiative.
    Yes, moderators can certainly take action to try to restore any decline in the standard of discussion - as I did above.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, moderators can certainly take action to try to restore any decline in the standard of discussion - as I did above.

So you decided to do that by censuring the people calling out the lies rather than the lies themselves? You somehow dont see any issue with a poster repeatedly lying, sorry "misrepresenting", on a thread. This just gets worse. You need to start digging up.

Isn't trolling also against the rules of the forums? Yet isn't.... like lying..... trolling also a presumption to know the mind and intention of the person being infracted for it?
    A good point and the same rule generally applies. Historically, the line I've stuck to is that regular posters should avoid making accusations of trollery against other posters, but a moderator can say that certain posts are tantamount to trolling, or declare some post equivalent to trolling for the purposes of admin action, and take whatever action is deemed necessary to deal with it (eg, see here, here and here).
    ....... wrote: »
    You gave an instruction that people were not to call out lying, rather than address the issues the poster is causing.
    The original note is here and does not instruct anybody to do anything. On the contrary, it points out that use of the word "lie" implies a knowledge of a poster's intentions which no other poster could have and cannot therefore be sustained. The post also provides a different word which can be used in much the same situations while keeping the temperature down. FWIW, history suggests that once people start introducing accusations of dishonesty to a discussion, the discussion usually goes off the rails quite quickly.
    I am all ears to have it explained to me how constructive discussion is to be attained therefore with someone who A) Claims to have said things no one can find them having said B) Claims NOT to have said things people can post multiple examples of them having said C) runs away from any attempt to discuss anything with them D) Jumps in to take, and then retreat from, pot shots at discussions others people are having.
    Typically here in A+A, the mods don't micromanage debates - that means that if somebody makes some evidential claim which they then fail to backup, it's up to the person actively engaged in the discussion to point that out and to hold them to it.

The mods have on rare occasions - and in response to a carefully reported post (involving a link to a claim by poster A, a link to a subsequent request for evidence by poster B, a link to some subsequent avoiding tactics by poster A) - taken to task posters who are reluctant or unable to provide evidence for some claim they've made. Mods don't do this with every post and every poster without a report as the mod would be left micromanaging discussions and that's not what this forum is for, nor what the mods want to do. However, if somebody can make a proper report in the suggested format, then yes, it'll be actioned within the terms of the forum charter. There are other reasons why moderators avoid micromanaging discussions which relate to the use and the abuse of the dispute resolution procedure.

As an aside, it might be useful to add something to the charter in relation to this kind of behaviour as troll-like behaviour certainly has taken place over the years from a number of posters and, IMHO, it's not covered adequately in the existing charter.

Well you can "say" it but according to you you can not SAY it. As in you have no way, without knowing the mind of any user, to indict them of trolling for the same reasons you declare no one here can call someone out for lying.

I however do not think language works that way in demanding 100% accuracy and knowledge. If it walks, looks and quacks like a duck then I will call it a duck.

This 100% knowledge requirement before using a label is as unworkable as it is ridiculous. I can not call anyone or anything by any label as I do not have 100% knowledge, and never can, that the label fits. I can not call a liar a liar, a man a man, a dog a dog, a car a car, a lake a lake or anything else as I have not 100% knowledge that the label is accurate at any time. And I am certainly not likely to ask a person for a peek into their underwear, or their blood work, to ascertain if they are genetically or genitalia-ly one sex or the other before I point at someone and say "him/her over there".

Hell the "liar" in question can not even be called by his username really as we have no idea it is even the same person every time. It could in fact be 30 different people that are logging in in shift work under the one user name. A situation which would certainly be congruent with the user never seeming to remember what they said, did not say, or is in the process of talking to at any given time.

Nah I never require 100% knowledge before using a label in any other situation. I do not think therefore I am likely to require it of myself in one random situation. Language, as I said, simply does not work that way. Nor, thankfully, should it.

FWIW though, history suggests that once people start introducing dishonesty to a discussion, the discussion usually goes off the rails quite quickly. :)

But if the current situation and conversation is highlighting to you possible reforms and improvements to the charter, then I can certainly feel that the point of my original post above has been achieved.

It'll be addressed when somebody goes to the bother of pulling up a few posts which clearly indicate the problem - my post from a short while ago says what needs to happen. So far, people have made allegations, but haven't backed any of them up with links to posts which clearly demonstrate the issue.

Alternatively, if nobody's going to go to the bother of pulling together some posts which clearly show the issue, then I'll certainly read back through the thread and see what can be done to connect the claims with the posts, but past history suggests that this might not be done quickly.

The forum's help would certainly be appreciated.

• Advertisement

I am replying to this separately as I think there is potentially some utility in separating the off thread topic part of my reply from the on topic part. But it is relevant to what you just said which I will make clear WHILE pushing the thread back on topic. Hopefully this is helpful in a few ways therefore! As you say in the post just above this one..... some actual links might help. I will work on that. But as you say yourself.... it will not be quick. But my approach will be to scroll back through all the posts from myself on this thread where I replied to that user. As it will anchor the search area quite well.
    The mods have on rare occasions - and in response to a carefully reported post (involving a link to a claim by poster A, a link to a subsequent request for evidence by poster B, a link to some subsequent avoiding tactics by poster A) - taken to task posters who are reluctant or unable to provide evidence for some claim they've made.

The crux of my pro choice position comes down to my sentience based approach to ethics and morality. There are pro choice people who adamantly voted "yes" in the referendum who agree with my pro-choice position but massively disagree with my basis for it.

Wanting a "yes" vote however they did not want to argue against me at the time. Maybe now we have the win in the referendum, they might be more inclined to.

However few people offered a rebuttal to my position and EOTR is an example of one who asserted one, but ran away when asked to back it up. EOTR then on multiple occasions later dodged that position again. Then started to later claim to have actually addressed it. Refusing however to A) Explain what was in the content of that or B) link to where it actually happened. So I think this fits perfectly with what you wrote above about the three steps calling attention to such dodging should take in that A) Claims were made B) MULTIPLE requests in MULTIPLE posts were made to support that claim and C) by either ignoring it, or claiming without evidence or citation to have already addressed it, the user has engaged in ongoing "subsequent avoiding tactics".

The crux of the users rebuttal to my sentience based position is simple (simplistic actually). It is the assertion that a non-sentient entity, that has in no way developed sentience, but has the potential to has the right to become sentient. And due to that we have no right to intentionally prevent it, such as through abortion, from occurring.

The user is 100% right. If a non sentient entity has the right to become sentient, then my position on abortion is 100% wrong and needs to be reversed immediately. Which I would do without apology, embarrassment, hesitation or reservation.

The problem is the user in question has not defended or supported the claim. Merely asserted it. And I have requested MULTIPLE times that the user do so. Either by directly asking them to OR by building analogies and thought experiments which I have asked them direct questions about.

The users response to this has been one of the following:

1) Entirely ignore the posts with the direct or indirect questions about the assertion.
    2) Claim to have already answered it / to already have supported the assertion with reason and argument
    3) Screech "irrelevant" at any thought experiment or analogy used to attempt to glean further discourse on the matter.

The users response to this has NOT been one of the following:

1) Actually provide an answer to requests for clarification or clarity.
    2) Provide a SHRED of argument, evidence, data or reasoning to support the outright and unfounded assertion that an entity with the potential to become a sentient agent, despite not in ANY way currently being one, has the right to become one.

As such my conclusion at this time is:

1) My position is sound that there is no reason at this time to afford a 10 week old fetus such a right
    2) That the user fits PERFECTLY with your algorithm above of having made a claim, been requested to support that claim, engaged in multiple and ongoing avoidance tactics of that claim.

My entire conclusion on the abortion debate, which people on the no side and some on the yes side take issue with but currently without any foundation I am aware of, is that there is no basis to afford rights, or moral and ethical concern, to an entity that is not sentient, has never been sentient, and is a significant period of time away from ever potentially being sentient. And there is even LESS reason to afford it such things to the detriment of the rights, freedoms, well being and choices of the only actual sentient agent in the equation. The pregnant woman.

And "oooo look its tongue flaps when you play it music and that makes me and a couple of people think it looks like it is trying to speak" is certainly not such a reason.

and here).

This is exactly what end of the road is doing.

I however do not think language works that way in demanding 100% accuracy and knowledge. If it walks, looks and quacks like a duck then I will call it a duck.
    And thus far, everybody's complaining that there's a duck on the loose, but as of yet, nobody's done the grunt work and pointed out where the walking, looking and quacking is taking place.

Except the ones that have, including me just above. And including the people who quoted the user claiming not to have called abortion murder, and then quoting multiple places where the user in fact did. To which the user then REPEATED the claim never to have done so and AVOIDED multiple and many posts asking for clarification on whether the user CURRENTLY thinks it is or not.

I mean if that is not pointing out the duck and its quacking and waddling, I honestly do not know what is.

But sure I guess we do not know 100% if they did it, it might be all in our mind. Or your mind. In fact we do not k now 100% that any mind except yours exists at all. Everything outside your consciousness, including the users of this forum could be a product solely of your mind. Or in fact, a contrived show populated by AI because the rest of society wanted to give you a job to do so in a kind of Truman Style Fashion they constructed an AI forum of nobodies and asked you to moderate it. :)

And sure as the theists around here tell us all the time, we can not prove 100% god does not exist. Guess the burden of proof is on us to prove it doesn't exist, and we should all be theists now :p

EDIT: There are multiple precedents from other areas of the forum with the user in question however. Moderators on other areas of the forum noticed that many users were demanding an answer to a particular question and the user in question was refusing to do so. So in each case the moderator (I can find the post where the mod did it if you want me to, might take some time) realised the only way to allow meaningful conversation to continue, and the thread not to descend into the very mess we have here........... he had to give the user in question a simple choice. Either address the question or do not post on the thread again.

The user, acknowledging I guess that they could not back up their position, chose of their own volition to simply not post on the thread again.

And thus far, everybody's complaining that there's a duck on the loose, but as of yet, nobody's done the grunt work and pointed out where the walking, looking and quacking is taking place.

end of the road posted here that he never said that abortion is murder.
    3 posts later, robarmstrong posted this list of his 12 previous posts where he clearly did. end of the road never admitted his mistake or tried to defend himself in that thread.

end of the road repeated the claim they never said abortion was murder in this thread (here, about two weeks after robarmstrong's list) and has continued to maintain that despite robarmstrong's contradictory posts which have been repeatedly reminded to him and without addressing them. (The closest and possibly only attempt was to recently wave them away as out of context, but as ohnonotgmail showed, that was not the case at all).

To quote nozzferrahhtoo:
    Claiming not to have used the term "murder" on a forum where people have multiple times quoted multi posts of them having used the term "Murder" crosses a line in lying for me though. Lying when people might buy the lie is one thing. Lying while metaphorically standing beside the truth in black and white clearly readable text though? Thats just treating the audience like the gullible non thinking idiots one apparently thinks they are.

You might be able to get a constructive discussion from the first kind of liar, assuming they admit their wrong doing once you can prove it. The second one, who lie regardless of conclusive evidence being presented for all to see? What useful discussion can you have with who will never address a contradiction, no matter how conclusive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In my own head I now refer to end of the road as the Trump generation,
    The type of person that outright gives false info, is called out on it but flat out refuses to acknowledge their lie by dodging any question.

Its a pretty pathetic mindset to have

end of the road posted here that he never said that abortion is murder.
    3 posts later, robarmstrong posted this list of his 12 previous posts where he clearly did. end of the road never admitted his mistake or tried to defend himself in that thread.
    In the post you quote, end-of-the-road does not deny making a claim that "abortion is murder", but does deny making a different claim that he/she has "never said that all abortion is murder":
    i know i and most no voters on here have never said all abortion is murder.
    I've gone through each of roboarmstrong's list and I can't find any post in which end claims that "all abortion is murder", though perhaps four or five of them are sufficiently poorly-phrased that they do not exclude that interpretation, or could be read so as to imply that end's belief may reasonable be assumed to be that all abortion is murder. In this case, there was no "mistake" for end-of-the-road to admit to, and no case to defend himself/herself against, since end never stated what you claim he/she stated.
    end of the road repeated the claim they never said abortion was murder in this thread (here
    In that post, Cabaal says that neither the no-side nor end used the term "murder" and end claimed otherwise. End's claim is demonstrably false as roboarmstrong has shown, though the fact that end immediately contradicted himself/herself on the next line ("we don't as it wasn't false.") suggests a possibility that end may have been careless in the first line of the reply. End also claimed that the no-side were "truthful and factual" during the campaign, another patently false claim which saw me making a rare foray into this thread to disprove (here and here).
    The closest and possibly only attempt was to recently wave them away as out of context, but as ohnonotgmail showed, that was not the case at all
    ohnonotgmail asked end to justify a post and so far as I can see, end ignored the request. It would have been better for end to address the question and ideally, answer it.

Summary - on the sole basis of your post, you have misrepresented end-of-the-road once, end-of-the-road has made three false claims, each of of which has been rebutted adequately and so far as I can see, end-of-the-road has not repeated any of the false claims, so it seems fair to assume that end-of-the-road has accepted the rebuttals. And end-of-the-road has ignored one reasonable question (was it repeated?) On the basis of what's here, I'm afraid that I don't see that this requires any major moderator intervention, though I would suggest that both sides could do better than to concern themselves with the use of a single emotive term "murder", since it does not make for a peaceful or worthwhile discussion. If anybody wishes to dispute this decision, please feel free to take it to dispute resolution. If somebody wishes to report other posts for violations of the forum charter, please do so and they'll be reviewed - note that a report will be more likely to be actioned if it contains a clear violation of the forum charter.

The final general claim which nozzferrahhtoo and others have made about end-of-the-road being a generally annoying poster? Well, I wouldn't disagree with that, but it's not specifically against the forum charter either and as in a post the other day, it may well be worth tightening up some of the charter text to make it a little clearer that the A+A is for discussion more based upon evidence and reason and less upon the use of emotive rhetoric. Though again, I have to say that your friendly moderators have little wish to step in and micromanage a discussion in the same fashion as I have done in this post - it takes ages and there are more productive uses of everybody's time.

As regards the moderation of this thread, over the last few weeks, I've stepped in to correct a misrepresentation here, and have made four requests or implied requests to tone down language here, here, here and here - usually, this thread moves along well without that kind of moderator intervention and those kind of requests to tone down language.

Thanking youze.

• Advertisement

And the fact that posts have been deleted that clearly show the lies. [...] Are we in the business of rewriting history now on boards.ie?
    On rereading the posts while transferring them to the feedback forum, I now see this post in which you claim that posts have been deleted which materially alter the discussion.

I'm not sure what posts you're referring to since the abortion discussion thread registers only four deleted posts since the 24th of July - two deleted by end-of-the-road, both of which contain denials of wrongdoing and neither of which contains useful content; one deleted by me which was a duplicate of a post by uptherebels; and a post of mine which I deleted as a duplicate.

Could you say exactly what you mean about deleted posts which "clearly show the lies"?

Advertisement