Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There is nothing wrong with saying "Ann Coulter is a person whose death I will celebrate." She is an absolutely hateful person.
    I've little doubt she deserves every bit of dislike she arouses. Nonetheless, I feel it's a little un-A+A to phrase one's disgust at a fellow human as bluntly as that. A little more subtlety might have had a few more people showing up for the dance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She's not exactly a 'group hug' person based on her own words. She doesn't like people like me (or the majority of us here) so I don't have to like her. I'm not much of a humanist, more of a nihilist. Lots of people are ****s after all - religious or not. We can discourage ***tish behavour by speaking out against it, being nice will, on its own, achieve shag all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

[...] being nice will, on its own, achieve shag all [...]
    It's best to maintain the moral high ground over somebody whose empty days are filled with attempts to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

robindch wrote: »
    I've little doubt she deserves every bit of dislike she arouses. Nonetheless, I feel it's a little un-A+A to phrase one's disgust at a fellow human as bluntly as that. A little more subtlety might have had a few more people showing up for the dance :)

Those were my honest feelings about her. I think she's a vile waste of a human being, whose only ambition is to spread her poison of bigotry.

Those were my honest feelings about her.
    They may well be, but it's still best to tone some things down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Aenaes wrote: »
    Ann Coulter's representatives may sue for monetary compensation.

Mohammad's representatives may do other things but not that.

Money rules. :P

Under what basis could they sue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It may be me, but were there a number of posts deleted?

Yeah, it was me. Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

She's not exactly a 'group hug' person based on her own words. She doesn't like people like me (or the majority of us here) so I don't have to like her. I'm not much of a humanist, more of a nihilist. Lots of people are ****s after all - religious or not. We can discourage ***tish behavour by speaking out against it, being nice will, on its own, achieve shag all.

Is you celebrating the death of Anne Coulter any better than someone else celebrating the deaths of, e.g., gays or atheists? If you don't have to like Anne Coulter, then on what possible grounds can you object to or complain about her not liking you?

Your defence of your own position effectively sets Anne Coulter up as your moral benchmark. You're not so much a "treat others as you would wish them to treat you" person as a "treat others as they do treat you" person. An eye for an eye, and all that. How very Old Testament of you! ;)

Or, to put it more succinctly, you say "speaking out against it", others will say "engaging in the same ***tish behavour". You see the problem?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Is you celebrating the death of Anne Coulter any better than someone else celebrating the deaths of, e.g., gays or atheists?

Take that up with the person who said it.
    I said there was nothing wrong with the poster expressing their opinion, they were not advocating violence or anything.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

It's not my phrasing though. Did you see the post immediately above yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Is it just me or do we have 2 threads which have gone off and converged into the same discussion just on 2 fronts?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The mod team have mentioned it internally and we're a lazy auld bunch.

Until a definitive decision is made just consider one thread with spin up and the other with spin down. If that doesn't make sense then then think about it in terms of threads not taken. Diverged in a yellow wood, sorry you cannot travel both you decide to explore one thread in your mind before deciding to take the one less travelled on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Turtwig wrote: »
    The mod team have mentioned it internally and we're a lazy auld bunch.

Until a definitive decision is made just consider one thread with spin up and the other with spin down. If that doesn't make sense then then think about it in terms of threads not taken. Diverged in a yellow wood, sorry you cannot travel both you decide to explore one thread in your mind before deciding to take the one less travelled on.

Said the Traveler.
    Knocking on the moonlight door.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I agree. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Just out of curiosity, when did we get all the extra mods?
    I thought we only had four; Dades, Rob, Turt and Asiaprod, who isn't around much anymore. I know Scofflaw was category mod but where did all the others spring from?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

legspin wrote: »
    I thought we only had four; Dades, Rob, Turt and Asiaprod, who isn't around much anymore. I know Scofflaw was category mod but where did all the others spring from?

I think it's a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The official answer is that they become cat mods. The unofficial answer is they gave us biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

legspin wrote: »

A bug since the category reshuffle. All the CMods names are now lumped in with the mods names. Same on pretty much every forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ This.

The devs are trying to iron out this wrinkle and others at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Cula bula. Like I said, just curious.
    Thank you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This has just been bothering me the last few days,

Can we rename the cat this forum is in?
    As we know it currently states " Religion & Spirituality" but Atheism isn't a religion and certainly for me its not Spiritual. This makes it misleading for people.

Could the cat be perhaos renamed Non-Religion/Religion & Spirituality,
    I feel this is fair and balanced, and as we know from some very vocal Catholics lately....balance is important ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aren't atheism and agnosticism defined by their relationship to religion and spirituality?

Atheist related stuff always falls into similar categories when searching for podcasts, blogs etc. I really don't believe people are mislead, or have difficulty finding the forum.

Dades wrote: »
    Aren't atheism and agnosticism defined by their relationship to religion and spirituality?

Atheist related stuff always falls into similar categories when searching for podcasts, blogs etc. I really don't believe people are mislead, or have difficulty finding the forum.

Would a "Silence Appreciation" forum be a sub-category of the Music forum though?

The 'problem' is that by definition it does not fit in the category it is assigned, but it is most aptly associated with the category as the complement of it.

complement.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dades wrote: »

I wasn't suggesting people are having trouble locating the forum,
    However, now that you say it including "non-religion or non-belief / religion & spirituality" would I believe make it clear what the cat covers.

The cat title is slightly misleading in that in allows religious people to reenforce their belief that atheism is a type of religion or belief system, this is damaging and we've seen in this forum and other sites that many religious people incorrectly believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the other hand it is first in the cat and therefore the most important. You never know it might catch someone on their way down to religion.

looksee wrote: »
    On the other hand it is first in the cat and therefore the most important. You never know it might catch someone on their way down to religion.

Thats true,
    But I just think changing the cat to something like
    "Non-belief, Religion & Spirituality" properly describes the forums in the cat,

Atheism obviously has "links" to religion in that its the opposite of a faith so its good its with the other forums, but i just feel the current cat name is misleading for the Atheist part of this forum.

This was discussed fairly recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I didn't know we had a cat.

• Advertisement

More than one. The mods herd them, apparently.

Advertisement