Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    Not a little harsh, perhaps...?
    Given jank's history of posting things like that -- sorry, nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    Given jank's history of posting things like that -- sorry, nope.

If anything, you were being charitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cabaal wrote: »
    I really got to say this type of mindset is pretty damn insulting to this whole situation...

But Jank, go right ahead, try make light of the situation this country is in. Sure its just people ranting
    :rolleyes:

I am not making light of any situation. I was responding directly to a good point made by Gordon regarding peoples opinions being formed by their own personal experiences and in a wider context their environment. I just offered my 2 cents and it was not meant to be a sly dig at anyone or anything. Seriously, you guys need to calm down a bit and take people at their word.

I think my comment on the nature of Irish people is fairly accurate. This is a serious issue of course but unfortunately we do not do 'serious' very well. Hence the general reaction we see now. I wish it was not the case, I wish we were a more serious people but ...

If I wasn't aware of your history of posting a continuous stream of "ah, yer all just bloody begrudgers" comments, I'd be quite annoyed at this kind of trivializing note too.

Again, I am not trivialising anything, I was responding directly to a good point made by Gordon. Do I need to have some paragraph stating my feelings regarding this topic in every single post where I am calling for the truth to come out of the mother and baby homes? Do I need to say this every. single. time. I. post. over. and. over. So that I do not have someone jumping down my throat for instating things I am not insinuating?

As it is, well, Cabaal's rolling eyes kind of sum up my feelings - can't you post anything worth reading? Can't you change your tune for just one topic?

Post anything? How about my own personal experience in this very thread where I revealed that I was born in a mother and baby home (where I was later mocked for, great modding there!). Why do you take such joy in belittling someone else's opinion?

jank wrote: »
    So that I do not have someone jumping down my throat for instating things I am not insinuating?
    In this post, you insinuated that "most people on this forum" "perpetuate a certain narrative" ("negative"), possibly "judgmental, insecure and insincere" and that, as a nation, we're the "Brazil in World Cups at giving out". In one form or another, you've said the same thing time and time again - a comment free of any evidence which tars most or all people here in the forum and the entire country too, not only with an unpleasant negativity but also with being a pack of disconsolate begrudgers for the sake of disconsolate begrudgery.

And I'm tired of being tarred in this fashion, as others seem to be too. Why can't you post without making nasty comments about your fellow posters and without making equally nasty comments about the country?
    How about my own personal experience in this very thread where I revealed that I was born in a mother and baby home (where I was later mocked for, great modding there!).
    A post which made a positive contribution and which fifteen thanks, including one from me.

You were not "mocked" that I can immediately see, though I did pick you up on your un-evidinced comment that "Today people don't want to hear any of the good news" - more of the same "yer all just begrudgers" posting tone which is what I am specifically asking you to stop - this continuous refrain adds nothing to your posts and does nothing but annoy people.

• Advertisement

In this post, you insinuated that "most people on this forum" "perpetuate a certain narrative" ("negative"), possibly "judgmental, insecure and insincere" and that, as a nation, we're the "Brazil in World Cups at giving out".

That is some nice editing in fairness which of course reading like that presents a certain agenda from my part. However, you have to read the entire post to get context. For example I did not say that "Most people on this forum, perpetuate a certain negative attitude..."

What I did say was "Most people on this forum are Irish and have a certain mindset (not wholly positive) when it comes to Ireland, its history, society and culture. It then helps perpetuate a certain narrative about the country that tends to feed into a negative feedback loop about the place"

Some what different to what you posted above. At least quote me in full if you want to argue points I made, not snippets that you then edit into sentences to present a different picture of what I actually said.
    In one form or another, you've said the same thing time and time again - a comment free of any evidence which tars most or all people here in the forum and the entire country too, not only with an unpleasant negativity but also with being a pack of disconsolate begrudgers for the sake of disconsolate begrudgery.

You mentioned the term begrudery a few times, yet when did I ever use that word on this forum? Again if you are going to accuse me of something at least quote me on things I actually said.
    And I'm tired of being tarred in this fashion, as others seem to be too. Why can't you post without making nasty comments about your fellow posters and without making equally nasty comments about the country?

I am not directing those comment to anyone in particular, it was a general comment about Irish society which of course people are free to disagree with but I feel that you are using ad-hominon attacks against me rather than refuting the key points I am making.

A post which made a positive contribution and which fifteen thanks, including one from me.

You were not "mocked" that I can immediately see, though I did pick you up on your un-evidinced comment that "Today people don't want to hear any of the good news" - more of the same "yer all just begrudgers" posting tone which is what I am specifically asking you to stop - this continuous refrain adds nothing to your posts and does nothing but annoy people.

Well a poster did mock me for being lucky not to be raped, a comment you had no issue with but I make a general comment on Irish society, well can't have that now can we.

Regarding the "Hearing the good news.." comment I did clarify this with this post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90701130&postcount=984

A post you thanked and presumably accepted and moved on. So again, clearly I do write posts worth reading, only when I write something you disagree with you come out all guns blazing with statements like "can't you post anything worth reading?" That is pretty strong language which I feel makes any contribution I make unwanted and your continuous paternal judgement on my posts is in my opinion borderline bullying.

You mentioned the term begrudery a few times, yet when did I ever use that word on this forum?
    I'm really at a loss to explain this in any more precise detail, so let me be as clear as I can.

I, and so far as I can see, most other posters here, are tired of you making grand, un-evidinced sweeping statements in which you demean the motives of people who are upset about one issue or another. Most, though not all, of your posts also tend to be content free. When you post something worth reading, as you did about your experiences in the M+B home, you can post with the best of the forum posters, for which I thank you.

However, if you can't stop the continual fist-waving that occupies most of the rest of your posts -- an activity which I interpret as borderline trolling -- then I, or one or other of the moderators, will take action against you to stop it. You have been warned about this repeatedly in the past, not so far as I recall by a string of private messages, but also by virtue of the collection of 35 cards that you've picked up here in A+A and elsewhere for similar content-vacuity.

If you feel that this is unfair, then please take the issue to the feedback forum where your complaint will be reviewed by senior site administrators.

You can consider this a formal warning of an impending forum ban if your posting style does not improve.

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just wondering, how is the exchange (between jank and others) that was moved here today, forum feedback? Would it not have been better that there was either an on-thread warning or PM exchange?

I personally don't think that singling out individual posters (even if they have dug their own hole) in this thread is the way to do things.

Then again, maybe I'm just being a grump due to this fecking heat >.<

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

SW wrote: »
    Just wondering, how is the exchange (between jank and others) that was moved here today, forum feedback? Would it not have been better that there was either an on-thread warning or PM exchange?
    Might be the alchohol talking but I think we need a sniping super-thread. Move all they hissy posts from all over in there. Put manners on the whole lot of ye so it would.
    :pac:

I'm really at a loss to explain this in any more precise detail, so let me be as clear as I can.

You have mentioned many times where I have made sweeping statements about other posters here where I have called them begrudgers, blah, blah, blah.., yet have never as far as I can see used that specific term or another terms like it. I think it is fair to ask why are you implying that I use this term when in fact I have not.
    I, and so far as I can see, most other posters here, are tired of you making grand, un-evidinced sweeping statements in which you demean the motives of people who are upset about one issue or another.

Where am I demeaning the motives of people in that reply to Gordon?? :confused: It was a general observation I made regarding Irish people, not designed to be some side dig at any group or people in particular. You do know that I am also Irish? If there is problem or a disagreement with the points I made then by all means refute them but if you think I have some agenda then you are seeing ghosts I am afraid.
    Most, though not all, of your posts also tend to be content free. When you post something worth reading, as you did about your experiences in the M+B home, you can post with the best of the forum posters, for which I thank you.

Yes, so clearly I do post things worth reading so why did you say "can't you post anything worth reading? Can't you change your tune for just one topic?"
    when clearly its not the case.
    You can consider this a formal warning of an impending forum ban if your posting style does not improve.

What was wrong with that post I replied to Gordon and how did that reflect my style? It was actually just an honest opinion and I did not have any secret ax to grind at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You have mentioned many times where I have made sweeping statements about other posters here where I have called them begrudgers, blah, blah, blah.., yet have never as far as I can see used that specific term or another terms like it. I think it is fair to ask why are you implying that I use this term when in fact I have not.

In description of tone and intent its all too accurate...."fist waving" also works. "permanently angry" too. A very small sample...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90567063&postcount=243

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90485937&postcount=96

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89572479&postcount=100

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88862600&postcount=1449

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87599681&postcount=110

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87912393&postcount=42

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88721785&postcount=1230

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88894192&postcount=1267

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88759470&postcount=593

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88896113&postcount=17

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89312465&postcount=77

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89572664&postcount=103

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89572620&postcount=175

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90484685&postcount=86

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90540709&postcount=193

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90679354&postcount=561

Clearly have time on your hands Nodin to carry out such a 'meticulous' search, so I am left wondering why you have to chime in on this conversation.

You have mentioned many times where I have made sweeping statements about other posters [...]
    Nodin has provided a small sample of your angry output. There are many more examples which you can find by checking back through the 45 cards and bans you've received over the last six or so years, from 16 or so moderators other than me. If you still can't accept that you're obstreperous, then all I can do is suggest you contact a friend or some family and show them some of this output and ask them to comment.

Regardless, you have received your final moderator warning and you will receive a week's ban for your next intemperate, fist-waving, nose-thumbing or obnoxious post. If you are unhappy with this warning, then please open a thread on the feedback forum.