Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman World Championship 13/10/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

For every other competitor Lance=media interest=dollars.

Was interesting to see how quickly the WTC and triathlete media got into bed with him despite the huge cloud hanging over him at the time. Good to see he was finally proved to be a cheating doper before he could wreck another sport.

As for Macca, I'd say Crowie is still hurting from 2010. I expect him to beat him this time around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Just realised it is on Oct 13th - Doh! - mod request required...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Do we have a list of Irish racing there this year? The ones i know of are,
    Dolan, Martin, Ryan, Muldoon, Cummins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Do we have a list of Irish racing there this year? The ones i know of are,
    Dolan, Martin, Ryan, Muldoon, Cummins.

Bored in work so here you go...

1198 Rob Cummins M40-44
    1662 Liam Dolan M30-34
    1385 Neil Feerick M35-39
    1991 Kate Lahart F25-29
    1308 Owen Martin M35-39
    995 James Mc Laughlin M40-44
    1034 Matt Molloy M40-44
    1371 Martin Muldoon M35-39
    1715 Michael O'Brien M30-34
    2094 Sharon O'Hara F18-24
    814 Alan Ryan M45-49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Link to TI article on Irish competitors: http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Macanri wrote: »
    Link to TI article on Irish competitors: http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1016

Only on some of them, looks like Tri Ireland dont know who some of them are along with me judging from Courdelions list of who is racing.

catweazle wrote: »
    Only on some of them, looks like Tri Ireland dont know who some of them are along with me judging from Courdelions list of who is racing.

I've checked with Detective Inspector Google on the three not mentioned in the TI artice, but marked as being Irish on the Kona start list...

Neil Feerick - Posssibly American.
    Kate Lahart - has a few tri results in Ireland inc 3rd in 2011 BoE
    James Mclaughlin - represented Ireland in 2006 AG worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Was just looking at photos that Owen has posted on FB of himself and Martin Muldoon doing intervals in the Energy lab yesterday. Have nothing but admiration for these guys. In perfect physical shape....zero excess body fat ...one cannot but be impressed. They get the training done, a trip to Kona to compete against the best is their reward and they loving every minute of it. Mucho respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

+1

Spotted those photos this morning alright. Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Was just looking at photos that Owen has posted on FB of himself and Martin Muldoon doing intervals in the Energy lab yesterday. Have nothing but admiration for these guys. In perfect physical shape....zero excess body fat ...one cannot but be impressed. They get the training done, a trip to Kona to compete against the best is their reward and they loving every minute of it. Mucho respect.

How are the kids?
    How is the job going? Still working savage hours?

Take away the kids, the wife the long hours. Seem that difficult now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    How are the kids?

There are plenty of athletes out there in a similar situation that don't have the heart, guts or desire to qualify for Kona. Irrespective of ones personal circumstances, I think qualifying is a great achievement. It is even more admirable if you manage it whilst juggling family life and a busy job.

pgibbo wrote: »
    There are plenty of athletes out there in a similar situation that don't have the heart, guts or desire to qualify for Kona. Irrespective of ones personal circumstances, I think qualifying is a great achievement. It is even more admirable if you manage it whilst juggling family life and a busy job.

Yes of course. However before we all beat ourselves up about not being sub nine Ironmen - some of us just don't have the professional and family lives that could ever allow this regardless of heart, guts or desire.

I have the utmost respect for what everyone is doing in kona(well most). However I am pretty sure that if changed a few things about peoples lifes - well they wouldn't be there.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes of course. However before we all beat ourselves up about not being sub nine Ironmen - some of us just don't have the professional and family lives that could ever allow this regardless of heart, guts or desire.

I have the utmost respect for what everyone is doing in kona(well most). However I am pretty sure that if changed a few things about peoples lifes - well they wouldn't be there.
    Our own local boy wonder seems to have the same lifestyle as the rest of us, with maybe a slightly more understanding family being the only concession I might give him. He is the oldest of the bunch, but still earned his place on merit and hard work. I think the key thing you said is desire. That above all is what gets you there. Everything else is negotiable.

As the saying goes, if your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle. We all could do feckin fantastic if it wasnt for x, y or z.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I think fair balls to them. I often think "oh if only i could train full time" but i dont think i could actually manage it! It takes fair dedication to keep running down the body like that

How are the kids?

Who knows what they are dealing with in their lives outside of IM?

There are guys and gals going to Kona with much tougher scenarios wrt family, job and other issues - but as others have said, they have the desire to get it done.

Izoard wrote: »
    Who knows what they are dealing with in their lives outside of IM?

There are guys and gals going to Kona with much tougher scenarios wrt family, job and other issues - but as others have said, they have the desire to get it done.

I dont agree. Can you give me some examples?

I dont agree. Can you give me some examples?

Don't agree with what?

As another poster has mentioned, one of the Irish contingent (neither of OM or MM) has qualified and is juggling kids, wife, job etc...

There are no extra prizes for AGers with kids/tough job etc... At the end of the day it is a hobby - some people can devote more time/money etc., to it than others.

But either way, to qualify, you need the desire and discipline to make sacrifices in other aspects of your life, irrespective of what that life is comprised of.

Don't agree with what?

As another poster has mentioned, one of the Irish contingent (neither of OM or MM) has qualified and is juggling kids, wife, job etc...

There are no extra prizes for AGers with kids/tough job etc... At the end of the day it is a hobby - some people can devote more time/money etc., to it than others.

But either way, to qualify, you need the desire and discipline to make sacrifices in other aspects of your life, irrespective of what that life is comprised of.

All I meant was one shouldn't diminish one's own accomplishments by comparing them to those that are in different circumstances. If you did your *honest* best, you did your honest best.

You may say I am biased but I think this year is his year, this year Dolan will be #1 Irish AGer.

Don't agree with what?

Am merely stating the obvious that a person will get their much quicker without commitments than a person with commitments.

• Advertisement

You may say I am biased but I think this year is his year, this year Dolan will be #1 Irish AGer.

Damn brave statement. Laying it down!!!! :D Lets talk times..will any Irish Ager go close to breaking the Kona 9 hr barrier!!! Think M Molloy went 913 last yr!!
    Dolan,Martin,Muldoon,Molloy.....there cant be much between them!

Am merely stating the obvious that a person will get their much quicker without commitments than a person with commitments.

I get the point you are making, but don't necessarily agree.

From my own perspective, when I had loads of time and no commitments, I spent most of it in the pub or generally doing not very much.

With 4 kids and a job that has me out of Ireland most of the time, I can manage to not fully disgrace myself in an IM situation.

The less time you have, the more you can get done....

I get the point you are making, but don't necessarily agree.

From my own perspective, when I had loads of time and no commitments, I spent most of it in the pub or generally doing not very much.

With 4 kids and a job that has me out of Ireland most of the time, I can manage to not fully disgrace myself in an IM situation.

The less time you have, the more you can get done....

Ah but i bet u were not doing triathlon when u were single and in the pub....i started triathlon aug 07 when i was 33 any my wife was 7 mths pregnant. I can only dream of the recovery i could have got in (sleep..naps..more sleep...more naps) if i had of started this when i was 23 :). Gone off topic now..apologies op. Lets get back on Kona..7 days to go

Judging from his bike and run at Lost Sheep which would have been in a heavy block of IM specific work i would have to agree. I believe his swim has improved as well which should help with quicker "legal" pace lines on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kennedy_adrian

I've checked with Detective Inspector Google on the three not mentioned in the TI artice, but marked as being Irish on the Kona start list...

Neil Feerick - Posssibly American.
    Kate Lahart - has a few tri results in Ireland inc 3rd in 2011 BoE
    James Mclaughlin - represented Ireland in 2006 AG worlds

Neil Feerick is Irish. From a village called Milltown, about 8 miles north of Tuam in Galway. He's been living in America for probably 15 years or so. Not sure which nationality he's declaring for on Sat in Kona.

Neil Feerick is Irish. From a village called Milltown, about 8 miles north of Tuam in Galway. He's been living in America for probably 15 years or so. Not sure which nationality he's declaring for on Sat in Kona.

He's on the start list as Irish. Only results I could see we're from US races which is why I thought he was possibly American. Good to know though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Probably a good footballer so as well, plenty of Feericks on that Milltown team over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

regardless of external factors not giving us the time to train to qualify, how much of it is down to physical ability, or do we assume that anyone who trains correctly and give it their all will qualify (providing things go right on the day)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Macca's latest thoughts on Lance

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/10/features/maccas-musings-the-lance-factor_63639

I'm not sure why he is so apologetic about a 41 year old unrepentant dope cheat has-been. Time to move on...

Ironman dodged a bullet when Lance got banned before he could damage the credibility of the sport too much.

Advertisement