Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Game and Comic Art Exhibition, Ideas Needed

Options
  • 01-10-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Pretty much as it says on the tin.

I've got a solo art show coming up at the end of November, the subject matter is retro games and comic book art (and other geeky stuff).

I've got 20+ pieces ready to go, but i need about 25 more I'd say just to fill out the space.

So, the question i pose to my fellow retonerds, what should i paint/sculpt to go on show?

I mainly work in Inks, Oils and Acrylic on canvas and board, and sculpt using super sculpy in miniature form, resin casting, Airbrushing. It can be anything you would like to see that's VG related. Be it characters, weapons, Items, iconic scenes. Anything.

No weblinks yet as the completed canvases are being photo'd at the moment for the website, which is up but not public yet.Also there will be free booze at the opening, and you're more than welcome to come along. I'm hoping to get some TV's in and some wonderswan/vectrex/snes/MD action going on inside too for folks to have something to do.

So please help a fellow retro gamer out and shout up some ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A large black/dark tones canvas with the Vectrex's Minestorm on it would be cool.

A Sonic the Hedgehog trainer could be cool, all worn out.

A Missile Command installation, with lines of wire, painted, to represent the missile tracks and balloons to represent the defensive explosions, plus the game itself running to explain the meaning of the piece.

A walkthrough, Star Wars trench, in a darkened space, with the edges painted with luminous paint, illuminated with a UV lamp to give it that arcade glow.

A life size model of the opening scene in The Hobbit on the Spectrum.

You could also do a couple of Resident Evil type doors, with old reclaimed wooden doors, complete with zombie fingers and such curling around the lip.

There's a few that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just get a load of square canvases and paint them single blocks of colour.

If anyone questions you, just tell them they're giant pixels.

If they question you even more, just yell out -

'Mondrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' (Like in Rocky)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just make sure the following covers feature:

MarvelUS-05.jpg

250px-Iron_Man_128.jpg

Galvatron%2BCover%2B07.jpg

BatKJ_1_90.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Minestorm is in

Pixelart is in

Killing joke is already done

I have a starscream is in the works. Already sketched out. There may be some soundwave.

I need gaming stuff now about 20 pieces. At least 50% of the requests on here will be painted up. I got a few ideas for sculptures so I've room for one or two more sculpts. So let's hear them.

I need some old school stuff. Snes mega drive era at the latest. Bring it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

588567_40333_front.jpg

:D

Seriously though:

secret-of-mana.jpg

The Mana Tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Needs more Boulder Dash

boulderDashWallpaper.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Gotta do something Street Fighter. I guess Ryu Dragon punching is the most iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well since its topical at the moment, I hope theres somthing with Dredd in there.

Maybe have little macs fighting outfit framed, gloves, shorts and a black vest with Major Circuit champion plaque on it

Get yourself a toy axe and paint it golden and cut it and mount it to a canvas to it looks like it was put through a wall or something like that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

A little different from ciders suggestion , but wireframe graphics with real wires?
    Perspex box, limited viewing angle , a lot of catgut and the wireframe 3d graphics of Star Wars or Battlezone done in sculpted , painted wire?
    C64 era loading screen?
    Sculpted Dobkeratops from R-type?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Passenger

A giant Pac-man, and Mrs. Pac-man for that matter could be easily carved from foam with hot wire! or just have a bow people can play with gender roles! That's Interactive Art!

• Advertisement

Some mario question mark boxes hanging (on invisible wires) in the middle of the air?

mario-question-mark-block.png

Or some pipes, along with piranha plants coming out of them?

200px-Classic_piranha_plant.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Passenger

Some mario question mark boxes hanging (on invisible wires) in the middle of the air?

FTW!!!:)

The boxes were going to be there anyway. Pirahna plants in pots outside on the way in.

The space isn't big enough to do full scale replicas, well at least not what i would like to do with them.

SF will most definitely make an appearance, as will MK

Dredd, He's doable, and he might sell in the current climate so yeah he's in.

I've knocked up a small boulderdash piece for the sake of completeness.

I already have a painting of Dobkeratops.

Knight's Lore currently being worked on, only a small one though

Should bead art be included in your opinions?

There will be pacman sculptures.

I'd love to do the mana tree as a centre-piece to the whole thing, It'd look really cool, but it would take up most of my time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've no reasonable ideas to hand, but I'd love to come along to this. Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Any pics of your work for use to drool over??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Some Tri-Force goodness?

Triforce_Crest.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would love to see a Lucky Hit board, something like this

http://i27.tinypic.com/ta0x08.jpg

but with much better artwork of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Make Vivi!

vivi_firaga_by_deviantart2009-d328f53.jpg

Could put the health packs from Quake around the place too :D

Q1%20health-boxes.jpg?1323306923

Just to reference the roots of boards indirectly

I'm getting photos taken this week of the newer stuff, so the website should be up and running with a few bits in the next few days.

Spent most of yesterday making a life size 8-bit master sword and Life size Piranha plants.

If i get the time I'll make Vivi. It's about 12-14 hours of sculpting at least, and around the same in painting. Hopefully it's doable, I may even be able to cast a few up as kits.

I plan on doing a tri-force. Just waiting for gold leaf to arrive.

Keep the ideas coming, there's some pretty good stuff popping up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Do you have any details yet on location, dates, entrance cost, how long it will run for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Something Doom related too should be in there, maybe a pic of a double barrel shotgun firing at a hell demon thingy from the first perspective?

Outrun too! Ya gotta have a Ferrari Testarossa blasting along a sunny highway.

ss-doom.jpg

44198510_outrun416.jpg

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you have any details yet on location, dates, entrance cost, how long it will run for?

Location will be here: http://www.supafastbuilding.com/

It's on great strand street, runs parallel to the liffey quays, behind the morrison hotel.

Entrance cost, will be a very expensive Zero Euro. All the pieces will be on sale on the days. Beers and wine will be provided by me, and I'm trying to organise some cakes too.

Dates will be either 23rd to 25th of November, or 30th of November to 2nd of December. Opening on the Friday at around 7:30pm. There will only be a weekend of it i'm afraid as financial constraints won't allow me to run it any longer.

How could I forget Doom. He's in.

There will definitely be some final fantasy stuff too

I always had it in my mind that I'd like to say I bought art, this could be my chance!

If finances allow of course.....looking forward to going to see this! will drag herself aswell :)

RedXIV wrote: »
    I always had it in my mind that I'd like to say I bought art, this could be my chance!

If finances allow of course.....looking forward to going to see this! will drag herself aswell :)

I can guarantee finances will allow. I'm not going to price people out. The majority will be around 25-30 quid, some above, some below, but bring whatever you can spare and you will leave with something nice.

So does she enjoy red or white?

Prices will be put on the programme but i'm very into haggling.

Also i'm doing a shout out for people who are good at wiring???

PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'll definitely take a trip up on the Sunday of the weekend its on!

Wood wrote: »
    I can guarantee finances will allow. I'm not going to price people out. The majority will be around 25-30 quid, some above, some below, but bring whatever you can spare and you will leave with something nice.

So does she enjoy red or white?

Prices will be put on the programme but i'm very into haggling.

Also i'm doing a shout out for people who are good at wiring???

PM for details.

Am actually stupidly excited about this now.

She likes white but more importantly, she likes Mario, Sonic and Final Fantasy.

Out of curiousity, is this something you're doing full time? do you do sculptures to order etc?

I've been sculpting and painting for years, I'm a civil servant who works part time in a nerdy toy soldier and board game store. I'm just a big nerd who happens to be alright at art. So I'm hoping this exhibition will be a big retrogasm for everyone that comes.

I do commisioned pieces to order, I work mainly in clay and 2 part epoxy putty.

I should have confirmation today on dates and times, i have to check out the availability of a decent sound system to play theme tunes on for the night.

Gold leaf arrived, it's triforce time. Then it's drinking time. I'll be in Bruxelles from about 4pm if anyone wants to have a drink and talk about video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

A Boulder Dash piece you say:D

Im in

Think we should have a beers when this is on :D

Here's a little sample of what's going to be on show. There should be about 40-50 pieces. Everything is going pretty well. I'm a little ahead of schedule with a lot so I should have a lot of time to do some extra bits.

oneartplease008.jpg

oneartplease004.jpg

oneartplease002.jpg

oneartplease001.jpg

oneartplease007.jpg

oneartplease0061.jpg

oneartplease003.jpg

• Advertisement

Hey Wood,

Do you mind these images being shared? Just want to send the medEvil one to my brother who's a big fan :)

Advertisement