Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Saw another motorists "educating" a cyclist this morning. Bit of a bizarre one. I was going through the Phoenix Park, stopped at the crossing at the castleknock roundabout. A cyclist was coming through from the Ordnance survey direction, heading towards the ashtown gate. As he cycled on, a car slowed down coming against him on the opposite side of the road, the driver rolled his window down, and yelled "you should be using the fcucking cycle lane" - there is a cycle lane on the opposite side of the road. The cyclist was going the opposite direction to the car and had absolutely zero impact on the (obviously crazy) motorists progress.

As I headed down the park, I glanced over at the motorist, now stuck in traffic, who seemed to be happy enough sitting in the 3km queue of traffic that stretched from just before the Aras to Park Gate Street.

To top off the idiocy, that cycle lane goes in the opposite direction to the cyclist's travel (https://goo.gl/maps/Bug342GqxJ52).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

buffalo wrote: »
    To top off the idiocy, that cycle lane goes in the opposite direction to the cyclist's travel (https://goo.gl/maps/Bug342GqxJ52).

Ah, but the motorists was obviously 'held up' by a cyclist at some point. Wonder did he get out and berate the few hundred cars that lined his path towards Park Gate Street? Some crazies out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And there's nearly always someone jogging in it. Even in the streetview there's someone in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, she's just walking, not even jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Weepsie wrote: »
    And there's nearly always someone jogging in it. Even in the streetview there's someone in it.

not far from where a poor cyclist was killed by a jogger in the cycle lane wearing headphones only about a year ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not the info i had, so best not to speculate on that unless it's proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Saw another motorists "educating" a cyclist this morning. Bit of a bizarre one. I was going through the Phoenix Park, stopped at the crossing at the castleknock roundabout. A cyclist was coming through from the Ordnance survey direction, heading towards the ashtown gate. As he cycled on, a car slowed down coming against him on the opposite side of the road, the driver rolled his window down, and yelled "you should be using the fcucking cycle lane" - there is a cycle lane on the opposite side of the road. The cyclist was going the opposite direction to the car and had absolutely zero impact on the (obviously crazy) motorists progress.

As I headed down the park, I glanced over at the motorist, now stuck in traffic, who seemed to be happy enough sitting in the 3km queue of traffic that stretched from just before the Aras to Park Gate Street.

Jaysus. ive been reading all the comments about motorists having a pop at US poor cyclist, whether its trying to run us off roads, complaining that we don't pay road tax , buzzing or clipping us at speed, or as mentioned above trying to educate US about cycle lane use. Ive been cycling, racing, couriering, commuting for over 31 years now. Ive lost friends to road bike accidents and ive had friends that killed others in bike accidents. If a motorist trys to educate me it is usually met with a "go f*$k youself" if they endanger my life in any way they will be met with aggression and a spd cleat to the side door of a car or a rear window will be put in with the help of a sparkplug. now I Know im gona get a huge backlash for saying this as the PC brigade wont agree but im sick of people in metal boxes trying to kill or educate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tomred13 wrote: »
    the PC brigade

I'm sorry, but that's an automatic
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Speaking as a lieutenant-colonel of the PC Brigade, I have never seen damage to someone's car as a good way of persuading them that their advice is not needed. Strategy, not tactics, that man.

Commuters are the worst bunch of bastards. Punctured this morning on the canal, and not one offer of help or check to see if I knew what I was doing.

I take it all back! Got two thank yous from fellow cyclists on the towpath this morning for singling out to let them pass more easily, normally there's none.

Also, yesterday evening I was waiting on Stephen's Green east to head onto Earlsfort Terrace. It's a terribly laid out junction imo, which led one cyclist who was heading straight to wait in the middle of the left turn lane. There was a green for left turning traffic, so when a 46A rolled up behind him, it had to stop. Fair play to the driver, he didn't blast the horn.

Instead, he waited patiently. The reaction from the cyclist when he realised a bus was sitting right behind him was the funniest thing I've seen all week. If a double-decker bus can sneak up behind you, maybe your music's too loud?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's not the bike it's the Antipodes effect. Your legs want to be upside down.

I reckon it's actually the Coriolis Effect. His body still thinks it's in the southern hemisphere and wants to go left, but the northern hemisphere bike wants to go right. Just like divers coming up slowly to avoid the bends, he should have stopped off at the Equator for a few days to avoid the sudden change... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Also, yesterday evening I was waiting on Stephen's Green east to head onto Earlsfort Terrace. It's a terribly laid out junction imo, which led one cyclist who was heading straight to wait in the middle of the left turn lane.

How exactly is that junction supposed to work? I got stuck there for a number of sequences one day and had to get off and walk to get to Earlsfort Terrace. I don't go that way normally so maybe I missed something vital?

check_six wrote: »
    How exactly is that junction supposed to work? I got stuck there for a number of sequences one day and had to get off and walk to get to Earlsfort Terrace. I don't go that way normally so maybe I missed something vital?

In my experience (though I don't travel that way often), you need a bus to trigger the Green<->Terrace lights, or a certain type of bike right on the sensors.

I can't fathom why there's no advanced stop box for cyclists going straight ahead. Instead you're encouraged up the right of the left-turn lane, and even into the ASB there.

The absence of a left-turn cycle lane is maybe supposed to encourage people to take the lane? Or is that giving the road painters/planners too much credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Stephen's Green East to Earlsfort Terrace is on my regular route and is an almighty PITA. The straight-ahead bike lane has no sensors, and it's nigh-on impossible to set off the sensors in the straight-ahead bus lane unless you're a bus (or an illegal car).

As a result, it is the only red light in the city that I regularly break - I'll roll through slowly and cautiously on pedestrian green after pedestrians have cleared, unless a vehicle has turned up to trigger the sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

dreamerb wrote: »
    Stephen's Green East to Earlsfort Terrace is on my regular route and is an almighty PITA. The straight-ahead bike lane has no sensors, and it's nigh-on impossible to set off the sensors in the straight-ahead bus lane unless you're a bus (or an illegal car).

As a result, it is the only red light in the city that I regularly break - I'll roll through slowly and cautiously on pedestrian green after pedestrians have cleared, unless a vehicle has turned up to trigger the sensor.

I usually get off and go and press the pedestrian lights button and cross when they change, then remount. So kludgy!

To private drivers, good Friday is not a bank holiday, stay out of the bus lane. Tossers.

I've also seen quite a few drivers on phones today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

To private drivers, good Friday is not a bank holiday, stay out of the bus lane. Tossers.

I've also seen quite a few drivers on phones today

Well obviously if you'd been wearing your #hivis and helmet they wouldn't be!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming home last night, on my track bike so pretty limited in regards speed but I had overtaken a few people (and also been overtaken by others).

The first 1/3 of the trip was punctuated by a guy who, at every light, would roll past to the top of the queue in his luminous yellow jacket, leading to a few minutes of waiting for a safe space to overtake and then happening over and over again. Finally he stopped doing this after the 4th red light. There was another guy on a fixed gear who looked around in disbelief the third time it happened.

Anyway, coming upto Shankilll, there is a slight hill and I overtook a few people and one guy attempted to tag on and follow me, he caught me in Shankhill itself, traffic is busy and you have to be cautious but then coming upto the roundabout just after the village, he overtakes on my right, giving it his all, as I cross the yield line onto the roundabout, swings across me, and then attempts to undertake the 145 that I had slowed down for, because, you know, it is a ****ing bus, it is ahead of me and it is a god damned single lane roundabout. The bus comes off with him on the inside and he thankfully hopped up on the pavement as it happened or he would be dead. FFS, the incredible stupidity of it all. He then meets me at a light in Bray where he sounds like he is about to vomit up a lung. I decided to ignore him in case I felt the need to point out his stupidity.

Then this morning, a guy on a green bike, turning right onto the N11, has a green light, waits for traffic to clear and proceeds safely, some idiot on a slip road with a flashing amber, who has just looked at him, jumps forward as he is in front of the bonnet. When the cyclist looks at him, he throws his hands up and says "It's alright"?????????? Are you mental, do you not realise your stupidity, he then switches lanes on the turn to almost hit a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Plastik

Sounds about right for daily commuting on the N11!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming home last night, on my track bike so pretty limited in regards speed but I had overtaken a few people (and also been overtaken by others).

The first 1/3 of the trip was punctuated by a guy who, at every light, would roll past to the top of the queue in his luminous yellow jacket, leading to a few minutes of waiting for a safe space to overtake and then happening over and over again. Finally he stopped doing this after the 4th red light. There was another guy on a fixed gear who looked around in disbelief the third time it happened.

Anyway, coming upto Shankilll, there is a slight hill and I overtook a few people and one guy attempted to tag on and follow me, he caught me in Shankhill itself, traffic is busy and you have to be cautious but then coming upto the roundabout just after the village, he overtakes on my right, giving it his all, as I cross the yield line onto the roundabout, swings across me, and then attempts to undertake the 145 that I had slowed down for, because, you know, it is a ****ing bus, it is ahead of me and it is a god damned single lane roundabout. The bus comes off with him on the inside and he thankfully hopped up on the pavement as it happened or he would be dead. FFS, the incredible stupidity of it all. He then meets me at a light in Bray where he sounds like he is about to vomit up a lung. I decided to ignore him in case I felt the need to point out his stupidity.

Then this morning, a guy on a green bike, turning right onto the N11, has a green light, waits for traffic to clear and proceeds safely, some idiot on a slip road with a flashing amber, who has just looked at him, jumps forward as he is in front of the bonnet. When the cyclist looks at him, he throws his hands up and says "It's alright"?????????? Are you mental, do you not realise your stupidity, he then switches lanes on the turn to almost hit a taxi.
    cycled the N11 just once, numpties, muppets, tossers in abundance in cars, buses, vans, walking, on motorbikes and cycling, I think they opened the gates of the iniversity for the numpties, muppets, tossers and let them loose on SCD for the day, you know like work experience, before bringing them all back in for more studies!

• Advertisement

There was a story today that "they" (I don't know who they are) want to add another lane to the N11.

The amount poured into building roads and then realising they are not fit for purpose or at capacity straight away and over spent on crap public transport could have paid for a world class public transport service and cycle infrastructure which should have the knock on effect of reducing traffic numbers and making driving more pleasant too

what is it with irish drivers increasingly being unable to actually figure out where to stop at traffic lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

There was a story today that "they" (I don't know who they are) want to add another lane to the N11.

The amount poured into building roads and then realising they are not fit for purpose or at capacity straight away and over spent on crap public transport could have paid for a world class public transport service and cycle infrastructure which should have the knock on effect of reducing traffic numbers and making driving more pleasant too

To be fair the N11 has been around in roughly the same form for quite a long time, it was hardly found not fit for purpose straight away. In fact it's been a while since I've used it regularly (it really is dreadful for bikes what with the bad cycle path and the vigilante training Dublin Bus must give in Donnybrook garage) but it doesn't really seem like it urgently needs an extra lane. Seems like it's standard to good for motorised vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

what is it with irish drivers increasingly being unable to actually figure out where to stop at traffic lights?

Driving here has turned into an impatient, hurried and all together frustrating affair, certainly in urban areas. It's borne out in the driving styles that are now almost a default on the roads.

The creeping at traffic lights is definitely something that's on the "up". Last night, I had a taxi draw along side me at a red light - before it went green, he's crept through the bike advance box, over the pedestrian crossing and was now sitting in the middle of the junction. What's particularly funny is when people do this, then misjudge the light sequence - so in the expectation of a green, it's coming the other way - so you now have cars trying to get through the junction, or blocking a pedestrian crossing and having people walk around the front of the car.

Sorry, apparently it's the M11. And apparently too it's just a rehashed story from 6 months ago quoting a Transport Infrastructure Ireland report. I don't know why I bother clicking on links to the journal when a little digging shows it's stolen or rehashed from somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I saw a taxi a few weeks back stop at the red lights, creep through the pedestrian crossing, around the corner, and through the pedestrian lights there too.

phoned trafficwatch several times to report it, never got through

The creeping at traffic lights is definitely something that's on the "up". Last night, I had a taxi draw along side me at a red light - before it went green, he's crept through the bike advance box, over the pedestrian crossing and was now sitting in the middle of the junction.
    yeah, it was seeing something similar which prompted my comment.
    bring on autonomous vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,495 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

yeah, it was seeing something similar which prompted my comment.
    bring on autonomous vehicles.

In many jurisdictions vehicles can turn left (or right in the US for example) through a pedestrian green man if there is no one crossing... it becomes a zebra crossing for them.
    One assumes autonomous vehicles in those jurisdictions will have to cope with it, and ones in this jurisdiction know not to do it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Driving here has turned into an impatient, hurried and all together frustrating affair, certainly in urban areas. It's borne out in the driving styles that are now almost a default on the roads.

The creeping at traffic lights is definitely something that's on the "up". Last night, I had a taxi draw along side me at a red light - before it went green, he's crept through the bike advance box, over the pedestrian crossing and was now sitting in the middle of the junction. What's particularly funny is when people do this, then misjudge the light sequence - so in the expectation of a green, it's coming the other way - so you now have cars trying to get through the junction, or blocking a pedestrian crossing and having people walk around the front of the car.
    ...or preventing a bus from turning if they’re at the York Road/Clarence St junction in Dun Laoghaire, in which case it's fun to watch them try to wriggle back or sideways to get out of the way :pac:

(Never mind that they're potentially shooting themselves in the foot by abandoning the sensor grid*)
    *Caveat: May contain placebo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I lived in Sydney 20 years ago and at every junction they had cameras to get cars breaking red lights. Its a no brainer to implement here, it would eventually be revenue positive, it would immediately inprove policing, safety and behaviour. Why isn't it done in more countries?

Advertisement