Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobBridge

Options
  • 26-09-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am currently doing research on people participating in the JobBridge scheme as a dissertation/ thesis and will be conducting interviews/ questionnaires around October/ November.

If anybody who is either participating or has participated in the scheme is interested in discussing their personal experience of the scheme feel free to PM me.

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

Went for an interview for one today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I think u will get enough info on a separate Jobbridge thread. Secondly u will see enough stories on Scambridge.org. Personally after dealing with some employers and going for a few interviews I think it is a complete and utter joke (except unfortunately it ain't funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 workerlass

under jobbridge scheme can you claim FIS or any form of costs towards childcare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

I'm on one, will finish in a few weeks. You can ask me questions if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Plenty of evidence here which is the Jobbridge thread mentioned earlier.

Also on Scambridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Plenty of evidence here which is the Jobbridge thread mentioned earlier.

Also on Scambridge.

OP, you might be better off listening to people who did a decent one, not people with an agenda against it for their own personal petty reasons or who never did one or who were foolish enough to do a stupid one!

Good luck with your study. It would be interesting if you could post some of your results here after it is all wrapped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

There is a lot of negative press out there. Personally job bridge got me started in an industry I have always want to work in. I got the start the rest is up to me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,805 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A bunch of off-topic and/or impolite posts deleted.

Please make sure your posts are polite. As a general rule,

"X your ideas are idiotic" is acceptable

"X, you are an idiot" is NOT acceptable.

I don't know about the other mods (yet), but I'm getting rather sick of the way some people cannot tolerate others having different opinions. It doesn't lead to productive discussion, or real assistance to people looking for jobs, information or advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Thanks for that. I honestly think it was just one guy spoiling it for the others. Basically as someone said in the last thread, if jobbridge leads to real skills and advances somebody then I for one am all for it. I would start in the morning if I could find something.

Basically the scheme is being big-time abused as enough threads are showing. It is getting ridiculous at this stage. Even worse is that the employers are taking the P**s out of someone like me who is out of work. I have in the recent past being asked to interview etc and the employers have not got back to me or 4 weeks later get back to me when the person they tried has not worked out (not so naive now). I have replied in no certain fashion to it.

I made €400 cash in hand 2 weeks ago doing some part-time work which was only a few hours. Therefore to do this in some meanial job where there is no job at the end and is for the sake of working would take 8 weeks. Sorry it does not at all make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

micromary wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I honestly think it was just one guy spoiling it for the others. Basically as someone said in the last thread, if jobbridge leads to real skills and advances somebody then I for one am all for it. I would start in the morning if I could find something.

Basically the scheme is being big-time abused as enough threads are showing. It is getting ridiculous at this stage. Even worse is that the employers are taking the P**s out of someone like me who is out of work. I have in the recent past being asked to interview etc and the employers have not got back to me or 4 weeks later get back to me when the person they tried has not worked out (not so naive now). I have replied in no certain fashion to it.

I made €400 cash in hand 2 weeks ago doing some part-time work which was only a few hours. Therefore to do this in some meanial job where there is no job at the end and is for the sake of working would take 8 weeks. Sorry it does not at all make sense to me.

I replied to your earlier post and then blanked it, just before the mod deleted all the posts, because I'm fed up with this crap.

I just want to say that the above post disgusts me on multiple levels.

Not to mention the staggering irony!! Someone else can explain it to you.

As I said, I'm fed up so I'll find other fora to interest me. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

My local county council laid me and 400 other temporary staff off 3 years ago, but have instead hired shed loads of jobridge slaves to do our work! Are they getting trained, sure, but we were qualified and trained so what's the bloody point! Labour/FG should be hunted to the sea!

(The council now pay my UK boss more than my weeks wages to get me for 1 days work, instead of the 6 days I used to do. Great little country)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can people please leave the keyboard warrior crap at the door; no more warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smartd

yore wrote: »
    Good luck with your study. It would be interesting if you could post some of your results here after it is all wrapped up!

Thanks everyone for the replies and it would be great if you know of anybody who would be interested in taking the survey both good and bad experiences!

And I'll keep this thread updated with my findings early next year.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you need people for your survey, I would be more than happy to take part.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

i have been on jobbridge you can ask me about what my experience was like if you want. i think it's a very important issue and i would be very interested to see some serious research done. Unfortunately my experience was not positive but if some people do get jobs out of it, that's great. I think the scheme was a good idea but it needs a serious overhaul to prevent abuse and prevent people working for nine months for free and then getting no work at the end of it even if they do a good job.

i would agree with micromary that one poster was ruining the other thread about jobbridge for everyone else and has also brought his trollish tendencies to this thread in response to another poster, and basically suggested you only interview the happy interns. This person has stated that he actually works and lives in another country so imo he's hardly in a position to comment on the implications of this scheme, compared to those who have done an internship or are or are unemployed and looking for work but finding that there are more internships out there than paying jobs. Hopefully he will actually go post somewhere else but he said that before and he's still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

sligoface wrote: »
    This person has stated that he actually works and lives in another country so imo he's hardly in a position to comment on the implications of this scheme, compared to those who have done an internship or are or are unemployed and looking for work but finding that there are more internships out there than paying jobs.

I haven't read their posts, but I think this is unfair. Its entirely possible he had to leave his country to find work because of schemes like Jobbridge and therefore has every right to criticise it.

The OP will post results of the survey, but they are only results of people like you. They don't show the negative results of these schemes which are people like me who was laid off to make way for unpaid staff, or people who had to emigrate as the last paying jobs were changed to unpaid slavery. You will see survey after survey praising it, but if someone did a proper study of the whole scheme it would show its one of the worst things the country could have done when 15% of the population were unemployed and 1 person every 5 minutes is leaving their homeland!

sligoface wrote: »
    i would agree with micromary that one poster was ruining the other thread about jobbridge for everyone else and has also brought his trollish tendencies to this thread in response to another poster, and basically suggested you only interview the happy interns. This person has stated that he actually works and lives in another country so imo he's hardly in a position to comment on the implications of this scheme, compared to those who have done an internship or are or are unemployed and looking for work but finding that there are more internships out there than paying jobs. Hopefully he will actually go post somewhere else but he said that before and he's still at it.

Enough of this.

micromary banned for a week for continuing to drag this off topic.

Please cut out all the sniping and report any posts you have a problem with. Feel free to PM me if you want, but keep this on topic from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

nacimroc wrote: »
    I haven't read their posts, but I think this is unfair. Its entirely possible he had to leave his country to find work because of schemes like Jobbridge and therefore has every right to criticise it.

The OP will post results of the survey, but they are only results of people like you. They don't show the negative results of these schemes which are people like me who was laid off to make way for unpaid staff, or people who had to emigrate as the last paying jobs were changed to unpaid slavery. You will see survey after survey praising it, but if someone did a proper study of the whole scheme it would show its one of the worst things the country could have done when 15% of the population were unemployed and 1 person every 5 minutes is leaving their homeland!

sorry nacimroc, perhaps i didn't word my post clearly or maybe you misread it, because I completely agree with you about the jobbridge scheme being the worst idea ever for an unemployment crises and I am dead-set against it. I was just trying to be balanced by saying 'if some people get jobs out of it, that's great', because I've researched and found the figures that have been released suggest most do not. Like yourself I am very concerned about interns replacing paid workers. We've all seen the internships advertised for menial jobs that don't require nine months training and offer little learning and that obviously could and should be a job for someone on the dole and should not be an internship, for example working in a shop or being a waiter/waitress. There is clearly something wrong when you do a search for work on the FAS website and the results show there are more internships being advertised than paying jobs. It seems like any employer who wants to can take advantage of this scheme to get staff for free, and that puts the unemployed and employed alike in a very difficult position.

I actually took an internship that sounded promising, but I ended up leaving halfway through because I was not being trained, was just a skivvy for one person, and was pretty much told straight out that it was not going to turn into a paid position at the end of it, that I would just be replaced by another intern (which is against the rules, actually). After two weeks I was left on my own to do a mountain of work while my mentor went off to do a course for three days a week each week. And then some days I did nothing but stuff envelopes for hours on end.

Apologies mod for mentioning the other poster in my last post, tbh i was a bit frustrated when the other jobbridge thread was closed because i really feel that the effects of the jobbridge scheme on the unemployed and also people in employment who are now competing with unpaid interns for work is a very important issue, and judging by the size of the previous thread a lot of other people wanted to discuss the implications of the scheme as well. But I understand why that ended up being closed and realize that I shouldn't have brought the same type of crap that derailed that thread into this one as well. I should have stayed on topic and just posted what my internship experience was like, as the OP requested. I've tried to do that with this post and clear up what I meant to say, and I hope I did that appropriately this time, also I hope I didn't get micromary banned because of what I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

I'm amazed at the negative experiences people have had with Jobbridge. I started mine nearly 9 months ago (I finish next week) and I have really enjoyed it. My boss offered training relevant to the job but since I had already had the relevant knowledge- I declined. I gained plenty of experience throughout the internship and to an extent have been given free reign. I also enquired recently if he would think of keeping me on in an official capacity after the internship finishes and he said yes and is starting me on a 3 day week with an opportunity to increase my hours further down the line. I just don't want potential applicants to think that every jobbridge experience is a negative one, because mine certainly hasn't been.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

I have met a lot of people who have had negative experiences with jobbrige,most companies cynically use it for free labour,and thats the bottom line of it.

It sucks up what could have been a paid job advertised,it robs jobs from the community,it is a job blocker.

It tends to target those who are vunerable and unemployed and consign them to a lifetime of poverty and unemployment.

It is a scheme that badly needs safety guards in place..To prevent this job blocking from happening,but by the very nature of the scheme its hard to acheive..

Thats just my own experiences from it,and others i have met,im not speaking for you jenn1984 or Mrs O Bumble,im sure there are some people who were glad of it,but there are a lot who are not glad of being used and thrown away like a used paper bag at the end of the scheme and on to the next free labour worker..

Its just so sad to see the schemes being abused like this..You have to admit there is abuse..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 superheymaker

Hello I recently started a jobBridge two weeks ago in Cork. It is a assistant managers role but since I have started I spend 40 hours a week scrubing floors and cleaning. Every night I come home I am so tired from lifting and dragging stock all day that I go right to bed and do it all over again the next day. My social life is right out the window because I have no energy to do anything. I get two days off a week but ever back to back so I spend the day I have off doing nothing I cant go home (Waterford) because Im working the next day and I can't go to the pub as I would be hungover the next day in work. Paddys day is coming up and my boss says its the company's busiest day so I must work but it says that anyone on jobbridge has the right to a public holiday, but my boss says if I want manager experience I must work it. Its like im only the assistant manager when it suits the boss and im back to cleaning when im not. I don't know what to do?? Also are we meant to work weekends??? I cant find any information on this???

Every night? You are working 40 hours per week. I think you are over reacting RE the work.

When I was on job bridge we got public holidays off..

I wish I was over reacting mate

During summer vacation from school and college I worked in a processing factory. 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week with the odd saturday thrown in for giggles. That was tough and I like you was too tired to do most things after work..

Seems a little odd you have the same experience working 40 hours per week as an assistant manager.

You should get advice from your local office. The last thing you want is to piss them off and as a result of that get a bad reference. If that happens your internship will be a waste of your time.

Hey I done the same with past jobs but gone are the days off working those hours on my knees for me, Im getting older now. Im 36 now and we have a 16year old on work experience with us every Wednesday and we are doing the same work. If I was doing the same work and hours but getting paid like a normal job I would have no complaints but I really feel like im being used here. Its not what I signed up for. Thanks anyway for your help.

Advertisement