Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Fjord Swim Galway....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

missed this today unfortunately, how did things go? one of the lads said it was cold on a scale he's never witnessed in a swim race before :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm starting to get some feeling back in my feet now :) It was really really cold.... quite the shock jumping off the boat :eek: but I've nothing to compare it to so can't say it was the coldest swim ever.
    My swim was atrocious. The soup was made it all ok again. I'll do better next time ;)

littlebug wrote: »
    I'm starting to get some feeling back in my feet now :) It was really really cold.... quite the shock jumping off the boat :eek: but I've nothing to compare it to so can't say it was the coldest swim ever.
    My swim was atrocious. The soup was made it all ok again. I'll do better next time ;)

don't feel bad, the lads that said it was freezing are all hardened sea swimmers. well done on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fearless100

freezing , bloody freezing........ great race

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well, it was well organised, only gripe I have was when I was first few to jump off boat, you were in water over 5/8mins or could of been longer actually before all swimmers were off boat and at starting line...only two swimmers could launch off boat at a time, because of health and safety.

It was freezing, but that soon went once you did few lengths to warm up before start. You had the sun in your eyes, so could of been difficult for some, I went off course a little but kayakers got me back on track. The worst bit of cold had to be about 600meters from end, the temp of water changed drastically, it got baltic and I even felt the cold as my feet and hands were numb. Heard this is from other rivers going into the fjord near finish. You could taste the fresh water near the end.

Haven't a clue were I came....

It's a long way for a swim. Thought it was a bit of a cop out for the 750meter swim, as a young swimmer did it in 9mins. But suppose no rules to say that experienced swimmers need not apply.

The fastest time for the 2k was 26min 30seconds I think, Kevin Thornton got 2nd and not far behind winner, think it was very close...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

Good race alright, though the cold was a killer! A lot of people travelled long distances to do it but anyone who'd travel for that should definitely have a look at this race for next summer;
    http://warriorofthesea.wix.com/wots#!home/mainPage
    It's a well run race, fantastic setting and the water is warmer!

results up here
    my prediction of thornton winning was close but no cigar :-)
    in the ladies, english just off the podium :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

mad m wrote: »
    I'll put Gabriel Byrne down as first over 50 in.....

Gabby was in just before me, 18th 31 minutes. He was the first 50 plus home alright but didn't get the prize strangely. It was a well organised event overall. But if you're giving out cash prizes you wanna make sure you get the results right.
    It was my first wet suit swim and just as we'll cos it was freezing. Serious head pain for the first few minutes. But the wet suit did its job if a bit restricting. My feet were very numb afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

#### me that was cold! At least the jump of the boat. After that, the body was fine, only it took me more than five minutes, before I could keep my face in the water and begin to swim a bit properly. Even my teeth hurt a bit, but then I learned to close my mouth fully - not that essential when swimming in a pool.
    The sun was strange, I had to pull my head up few times, it felt like I was bumping into somebody ahead. The first 500 meters or so was torture, the second was grand, the third just got me into pace and I overtook most of the people in the last quarter, when I felt the best. And when I didn't feel my feet ;)
    I left everybody go at the start, so I begun as the very last. I am not used to bumping into people or being touched. Even so, being on a boat, with so many people dressed in rubber was a bit strange experience :D Thanks to lazy start and not being able to keep my face in the water, I was one of the last, but surprisingly, still time under 42 minutes, something very unexpected. I thought I'll be glad to get under 50, considering that surfing wetsuit.
    Next year, apart from proper training, will need wetsuit, that is for swimming and not for surfing, and regular swimming in cold water, so I can get used to those temperatures.
    The organisation was good, but it could be improved next year. I might drop a line to the organisers.
    Overall, I am glad I did that, even with the head splitting cold. I hope to make it better next time.
    Well done to everybody who dared the new event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Took this with my camera phone at finish, before wave two started.

• Advertisement
Advertisement