Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried I'll hurt my girlfriend in my sleep

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this or thinks it's something I should take very seriously.
    I have always talked in my sleep, more a grumble with some words being clear but never very loudly and in the last 2 or 3 months I have taken it to a new level with laughing and talking loudly. Myself and herself used to have great crack with it, she'd ask me questions while I do it and tell me in the morning what she asked me and my response, never anything that made sense to either of us.
    Quite recently I had woken myself up after quite a violent dream where I was punching and kicking very aggressively. My girlfriend was on holiday at the time which I think is very lucky as I'm certain what woke me up was me physically throwing a punch.
    Just this evening she said, last night I sat up while asleep and started talking very aggressively and was actually scared for her own safety.
    My big, major fear now is I might hurt her physically while I'm asleep.
    She just laughed it off and thinks it's nothing but I'm terrified I'll harm her, I'm a big enough lad to do serious damage.
    I'm not an aggressive person and have never hit another person intentionally but I'm afraid the lady I want to marry someday will be the receiver of my first one ever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gogomum

Twin beds maybe? Especially if you're afraid of hurting her. A lot of couples sleep in separate beds and move them together when they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

gogomum wrote: »
    Twin beds maybe? Especially if you're afraid of hurting her. A lot of couples sleep in separate beds and move them together when they need to.

She thinks I'm being daft. Think it was from stress, not done anything weird in my sleep since I posted that. Well except yapping on about my dreams while I'm dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

i am going true the same thing have you ever seen a gp for it, my gf wants me to get help for this as she is very worried i will put her in hospital some night!!!

No sorry it has stopped with me. A friend told me there is a sleep clinic in blackrock, thats where they suggested I try.
    Let me know if you do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Whats your routine before going to bed ?

Are you watching tv or playing games etc up until the time you go to bed ?

Reading is often cited as a good way for you to clear your head before fallign asleep.

Are you under much stress ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

I've been on the other side of this my partner has on occasion lashed out in his sleep. Usually it's nothing too bad just an elbow or a kick but a few times he's swung his arm out and connected. I've never been seriously hurt just mad as hell because he's interrupted my sleep. He has no recollection of it in the mornings!

Over the years I've sort of developed a sixth sense about when it's going to happen and I tend to wake up and get myself out of the way. It doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to but if he was stressed over anything he's more likely to have an uneasy sleep and lash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

i am going to really hurt my o/h one of these nights ,she has got boxed and kicked like real hard off me and she is now 6 months pregnant!!!

i also have sex in my sleep which may sound funny but its true , i could be fast asleep and next thing i roll over to the o/h and having sex with out even known whats going on until i wake up to find myself in the middle of intercourse!! i have said these to my gp and he just laughed,so were do you go from there.

fartman wrote: »
    i am going to really hurt my o/h one of these nights ,she has got boxed and kicked like real hard off me and she is now 6 months pregnant!!!

i also have sex in my sleep which may sound funny but its true , i could be fast asleep and next thing i roll over to the o/h and having sex with out even known whats going on until i wake up to find myself in the middle of intercourse!! i have said these to my gp and he just laughed,so were do you go from there.

If you're GP seriously laughed at something like that I suggest you put a phone call in to the hse about him.
    There is a sleep clinic in blackrock, that would be my next step if I were you. Until then perhaps sleep in different beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Ive kicked my girlfriend in my sleep once or twice and woke up once to find I had her in a headlock, not squeezing but the headlock position. I wouldnt be a violent person either but we just put it down to dreams, I dont do it on purpose..........

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

I think we might be sleep-twins! I always talk in my sleep, and even reply to conversations (whether I'm making sense or not). I have been told that I sit up on occasion and look around the room (FREAK!)

I've thrown a lot of punches in my sleep! And do it quite regularly! I've been told that I actually "swing" most nights. I found that if you sleep on your side facing the other person's back you don't get the "swing space" if you get me? Maybe sleep on your side with one arm under your gf's head and the other on her hip?

Out of interest do you grind your teeth in your sleep? I'm told I do it quite loudly.

Be interested to see if this helps you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement