Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Exercising

Options
  • 23-09-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey Guys,

I'm 27 years old and weight about 68kg. At the moment I'm trying to tone up the tummy as I have a bit of loose skin from when I lost weight some years ago. Not a whole lot but enough to make me want to do it.

Apart from trying to tone up, I have been running for almost two years, both for Leisure and Competitive.

For the last two months my training and workout schedule has been as follows:

Monday: Gym, 25 mins on cross trainer or Treadmill, Stretches, 80 Sit ups, 80 crunches on the weights machine, 10 - 15 mins doing some weights such as curls etc, 10 mins on the pulley, 10 mins on shoulders, 10 mins on legs,

Tuesday: 5-7km run in the morning before work plus Gym in the Evening as above.

Wednesday: 5-7km run in the morning or the evening.

Thursday: Gym as above

Friday 5-7km run in the morning plus Gym in the evening as above.

Saturday 10-15km run

Sunday REST or an occasional cycle or small run

Since I started Gym along with my running, I feel great and I do feel like my tummy is getting harder, I am very strict on my diet 95% of the time with fresh fruit veg etc, water.

My question is, Am I doing too much, and is it ok to have the odd off day when I just feel like eating all around me???? lol...

Cheers......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Change up your ab work, planks, reverse curls, Pilates 100s, slow bicycles, you'll see much more comprehensive results then just doing a tonne of crunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

What height are you? What sort of pace do you do your runs at? I personally would be inclined to substitute some of them with some higher intensity work or interval training.

I would also be looking towards your weight training, what exercises do you do for legs and what sort of weights for example? I would be concentrating on more compound exercises instead of the likes of curls. I know you are trying to concentrate on your stomach, but that will come in time.

Deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, pull ups and possibly some Olympic lifts are all good exercises to start with.

If you nail down a more intense cardio session or two each week and a more structured weights program you would easily include another rest day. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself some days, for most people I find that if they know they can have certain foods once in a while, it helps them to stick with their eating plans the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

You are doing enough cardio outside of the gym
    When you are in the gym, drop the cardio and do weights.
    You are doing three gym sessions a week so maybe try and split it up into body parts. Get a proper weights program on here or from a PT.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Fish nuts meat etc.
    Listen to your body. If you are wrecked take a break for a couple of days.
    If you feel good, keep going. Nutrition is very important and while you think you are eating well, you probably aren't. Read the stickies. Always do weights before cardio. You seem very light for someone who is trying to lose bf. What height are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

go and get a proper training program from a professional strength and conditioning coach

it's worth the €60.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

bench press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Monday: Gym, 25 mins on cross trainer or Treadmill, Stretches, 80 Sit ups, 80 crunches on the weights machine, 10 - 15 mins doing some weights such as curls etc, 10 mins on the pulley, 10 mins on shoulders, 10 mins on legs,

I don't think you're over-exercising but what you are doing is fairly poor.
    80 Sit ups, 80 crunches on the weights machine

Pointless. If you can do 160 good form crunches, half of those weighted, than you probably don't need to work on your abdominals very much but I doubt that's the case. Also doing 80 with no weight and then 80 with weight is pointless as well. It's the same as doing bench press with no weight and then doing it again with weight. It makes no sense, it's even a poor warm-up. You'd just do it with weight. And finally, stay away from machines. You'd be better off just doing normal crunches with a weight plate on your chest
    10 mins on the pulley

The pulley? With the actual pulley machine? 10 minutes seems a tad much for that

As nice_guy80 said, it might be a good idea to get a coach to assist you or even just start looking out this stuff on the internet and studying it. Your knowledge of strength and fitness training seems to be very basic, which isn't really your fault, so it's going to be hard for someone to bring up your knowledge a great deal over a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7 The Murray fan

Hey man, I', 5ft 10

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You're not over training. You could be doing a lot more imo. The gym/weights is a bit all over the place. No need for the crosstrainer/treadmill you do enough cardio with the multiple runs. Ditch the machines are doing something structure with free weights. Set and reps - with progression, not 10 mins here, 10 mins there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 S hall

If you are eating a proper diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables, incorporate exercise as well for you to keep healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just think it's worth pointing out - although the OP's programme could be a helluva lot better, they definitely seem to have the No 1 requirement needed in spades - ie, desire!

Keep it up OP, adjust your programme accordingly (there's plenty of well qualified people on here who will help) & you'll see the benefits... Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Ive been going hell for leather recently at an intense workout studio, 3 maybe 4 times a week plus a minimum of 15k steps per day.

I've noticed my breathing slower at times and wondered if this exercise could be a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Probably better to start a new thread than dig up an unrelated 12 year old post. But yes as fitness increases you should notice yourself being less out of breath easily. It's a change that would take months though, not a few weeks.

Advertisement