Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry's or Lyons?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why is there a choice of just two teas in the poll :confused:

Why Barry's or Lyons?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

McGraths is the best. Our next choice would be Lyons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

McGraths = ****e Barrys = Awesomeness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I used to think there was no difference until they got Barry's at work recently. Like drinking cups of piss. Lyons for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Twinings Gold Label Tea

If you like your tea strong Twinings has a great taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

bob50 wrote: »
    If you like your tea strong Twinings has a great taste

I do like it strong. I accept not everyone does.

BUT my work mate Trevor likes it weak. How weak? Very weak!

He puts hot water in his cup and drops the teabag momentarily into it. You are kidding me Trevor. Fanks, but I'll make my own. Take the piss-but dont make me drink the piss dude.
    Seriously someone picked that tea you waster. Just have hot water with milk if thats your thing you fackin' pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

That stuff Chinese stuff that's like a ball but when you drop it in it starts spreading out like a flow n shít. That's the bomb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Barrys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭pavb2

Ran out of milk few days ago so started using Marvel, I find it gives a much cleaner taste and encourages a much more aromatic and richer flavour of tea to develop.

Tastes c**p on me weetabix though.

Must try McGraths

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Lyons for me i like the little pyramid tea bags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Originally Posted by Madam_X
    Thought Lyons was Irish.
    Not anymore. Was bought by Unilever a good few years ago, who are a British-Dutch corporation.
    Unilever didn't just buy Lyons; they also closed Lyons' factory in Inchicore and transferred the tea processing part to PG Tips in the UK. They've done similar with HP Ice Cream and other brands; that's their modus operandi, which is normal enough for a food conglomerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Vita nova wrote: »
    Unilever didn't just buy Lyons; they also closed Lyons' factory in Inchicore and transferred the tea processing part to PG Tips in the UK. They've done similar with HP Ice Cream and other brands; that's their modus operandi, which is normal enough for a food conglomerate.

So, Barrys it is then!

I hate it when food is advertised as Irish & then found to be produced/prosessed in a diffrent country altogether!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Has to be Barry's for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

N64 wrote: »
    wheres the "I don't drink tea" option?

Relegated with the "Atari Jaguar" option on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Lyons for me! But the best boxed teabags I've had are Bewley's. Amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Barrys I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

has to be barrys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Don't know if anyone has made the point yet, but Barry's is an Irish company, Lyons isn't (although they try to pretend they are). For some reason I always think of Lyons as Fianna Failure tea.

Edit: Further to what others have said, as far as I know, Lyons was never an Irish company, it was a British company selling in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

snubbleste wrote: »
    Where in Ireland do they grow tea?

The company is irish.

They blend and package in ireland.

They employ people in Irelnd.

They pay corporation tax.

The contribute to the local and national economy.

and on and on and on.

Lyon's in imported from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Tetleys' for me is the best

Bewleys' is the worst

Also Mc Graths', SuperValu or Centra Green or Gold, Fallons' (Lidl) are good

As for Lyons' or Barrys'?

Lyons'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Madam_X wrote: »
    Thought Lyons was Irish.

It's my preference anyway - Barrys has a slight aftertaste I don't like.
    Not anymore. Was bought by Unilever a good few years ago, who are a British-Dutch corporation.

I'll vote Lyons a thousand times over, since it's usually what we'd drink at home and I was never a fan of Barrys.

Lyons is as Irish as Guinness tbh.

Barry's tea drinkers are culchies, the same people who complain that they can only get avonmore milk in Dublin and Dawn is better.
    It's got feck all to do with taste, its more a parochial thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aren't Lyons now controled by P.G so basically its the same product.

I could be inaccurate with that statement, if so somebody please shed some light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Aren't Lyons now controled by P.G so basically its the same product.

I could be inaccurate with that statement, if so somebody please shed some light.
    I used to work for the company that made the triangle tea bag machines for unilever. I think we made 7 in total, six for pg tips, one for Lyons. Then, they were definitely different products made in different factories, albeit the same shape. Lyons were apparently a different blend for the Irish market.

That was 15 years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Raised a barrys man but alas im now a convert.
    Lyons all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Wrong!
    Guinness may be owned by Diageo but it's produced here among other places.

Lyons is owned by Unilever and produced (selected/blended/packed) by PG Tips in Manchester. It used to be produced in Inchicore in Dublin but the factory was closed and production moved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its down the bottom in small print

Dont read this thread if you do not drink tea as it is clearly about tea.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

It's on the ferry out of Ireland ya big traitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

What did Confucius think of the Tae?

"I know why the Tae is not practiced. The intelligent go beyond it and the dull do not reach it. I know why the Tae is not manifested. The 'good' go beyond it and the unworthy do not reach it. There is no one who does not eat or drink, but there are few who really have 'taste.'"

"If I can hear the Tae in the morning, in the evening I can die content."

"The human being manifests the Tae. The Tae doesn't manifest the human being."

“Great Man calculates in terms of the Tae, not in terms of earning a living. Agriculture is inspired by the fear of hunger; study, by an interest in salary. Great Man is concerned about the Tae; not about poverty.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, no, no it's not.

Guinness Ireland LTD. is still an Irish company based in Dublin, employing people locally, buying Irish produce (barley, hops, etc) and producing a product in Ireland. They pay Irish taxes and benefit the Irish economy.

The parent company is spanish but the company itself is still registered in Ireland.

Lyons is entirely based in manchester.

• Advertisement
Advertisement