Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 4 - "The Power of Three"

Options
  • 20-09-2012 10:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Oddly, this Saturdays episode featured very little in most of the promos I recall seeing before the season started: there were lots of clips of Daleks, Angels, dinosaurs & the Wild West, but nothing from this one. Probably means nothing but odd all the same

Apparently though, we will see
    the return of UNIT!

Trailer anyway:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

This is the episode I've been looking forward to the most out of this half-season, specifically because there's so little information about it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Also appears to be laying the groundwork for the Ponds leaving too...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sleepy wrote: »
    Also appears to be laying the groundwork for the Ponds leaving too...
    Well it'd want to be, their time in the sun isn't going to last much longer...

I dunno if that should be spoilered or not, but you never know some uber casual watcher might read it..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm really looking forward to this one. But unfortunately I won't get to see it til tomorrow morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this one. But unfortunately I won't get to see it til tomorrow morning. :(

I know how you feel. I have it set to record but don't know when I will actually get to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I've no clue what's going on in this episode. I need to watch it again after this original showing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the episode was a glorified introduction to Dr. Who's new BigBad - the Shakri; I don't think that's the last we've seen of them.

Also: Lethbridge-Stewart II!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Why was
    the Tardis black?

Note: Spoilered for those that haven't watched yet.

G.K. wrote: »
    Enjoyed it.

Yep, was very good. Liked it a lot. Did you notice that
    the Tardis was black?
    It's bugging me now. It was, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, the TARDIS wasn't black; if you mean at the end, it was just the way the shot was filmed (there's no need for spoiler tags, the title clearly forewarns of spoilers & the episode has just aired so all from the story is fair game)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

That was disappointing. I was loving this series but this one broke the good episode streak it had going. The acting seemed very poor for some reason, especially Karen. Don't know what was going on there. Bad directing? Rushed filming? The cast weren't on form at all.

As for the content of the episode itself, oh dear. Badly written speeches, the title and ending monologue being based on a bad pun, random things happening for no reason, an enemy who the Doctor just immediately knows everything about and who he defeats literally just by waving his wand around.

Seriously now though, I must comment on the villain's plan here. They send down billions of cubes that spend a year infiltrating every nook and cranny of people's lives (other than sensible people who'd make sure those things were nowhere near their ****ing house), download the internet, hack the Pentagon, take biometric readings from Amy, test people's reactions to shooting around random fire, laser guns, annoying sounds and other random things and the master plan it uses all this colossal amounts of data for is stop everyone's hearts?

Now, that's not a bad plan actually. Stopping everyone's hearts at once. If you can do it go for it. It just seems that this is a plan that would require about five minutes to come up with and doesn't really have anything to do with recording every possible piece of data possible about humanity before you do it. It really only needs two pieces of data: They have hearts. We can stop them. Also, if you have that much ****ing data on humanity you should be able to predict that the number of cubes you have is insufficient to kill all of them. What was it? Only a third taken out? Why would you start killing them, then drop more cubes as they were going to? Drop more cubes first you ****ing idiots.

Other completely pointless things: Why count down? Why not just suddenly kill everyone without warning. This is not effective extermination. What is the point of the girl robot? It serves zero purpose either for the evil plan or for the purposes of the plot. Why the evil nurse robots? They use them to kidnap a few people but why do they need to kidnap anyone when their plan involves downloading all possible data humanity has on itself. Just read that. The only thing kidnapping people does is increase the chances of getting noticed. Even if they just need to test the heart-stopping beam surely they only need one person for that? If it kills that person mission ****ing accomplished you don't need any more tests. If it doesn't kill them then just try again till you figure out what kills them. None of it makes any sense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I haven't read or seen any spoilers about how the Pond's leave, but after that episode
    I'd assume they die?

Plenty of opportunity in tonight's episode to have them make the decision themselves, or for the Doctor to make the decision. Nobody made it. Next week apparently their last episode......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It wasnt bad at all. Maybe less episodes is better.

Although they should have got somebody better to do UNIT, yer one could have done with a few electric shocks herself to wake herself out of that acting slumber.

I haven't read or seen any spoilers about how the Pond's leave, but after that episode
    I'd assume they die?

I'd certainly like to see that happen. I've heard otherwise though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I really hope this stuff gets used later on. It wasn't great. I mean they had brian cox :eek: but otherwise, it was a big suspense that built up to... nothing.

Maybe it gets used.
    I hope. :confused:

Do you think the whole surfing the internet and gathering data thing was for their "tally" and the final decision a year later was to kill them off? Would that be it?

Ending was a total cop out though
    Oh that's grand I'll wave the screwdriver and despite being dead for who knows how long they'll all recover and get up again with no lasting brain damage or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭8mv

Don't know if anyone else watches with their kids, but I've noticed that even though Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor and the scripts and storylines are easily as good as three years ago if not better, my kids are not as interested at all now as they used to be. When DT was in the role, Saturday evenings were for DW and there was great excitement. These days the kids are easily distracted by other diversions or they are only waiting to turn over to The X-Factor (the shame!) I don't know if it's that my kids are older now or if it's that DW is gaining credibility at the cost of losing some of it's main demographic.
    Tonight's episode was a case in point - one of the girls watched with me but lost interest half-way through. The episode was ok, but finished very poorly, I thought.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I really hope this stuff gets used later on. It wasn't great. I mean they had brian cox :eek: but otherwise, it was a big suspense that built up to... nothing.

Maybe it gets used.
    I hope. :confused:

Do you think the whole surfing the internet and gathering data thing was for their "tally" and the final decision a year later was to kill them off? Would that be it?

Ending was a total cop out though
    Oh that's grand I'll wave the screwdriver and despite being dead for who knows how long they'll all recover and get up again with no lasting brain damage or whatever.

I'd say it's almost guaranteed; the whole finale felt like an introduction rather than a climax, and usually when bad-guys escape in the final act it means we'll see them again. Seemed like a set-up to a future arc - it's actually a long time in the show since there was a direct threat against humanity, of the "I hate humanity and will destroy the world" variety.
    8mv wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone else watches with their kids, but I've noticed that even though Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor and the scripts and storylines are easily as good as three years ago if not better, my kids are not as interested at all now as they used to be. [...]

Familiarity I guess; the show is in its 7th series of the new run afterall, so stands to reason that some of the freshness & excitement will waiver for some. Even I've found myself drifting into a soft of autopilot with the show, taking it for granted.

As for the tone of the series - this isn't meant as a dig at his tenure - but RTDs stories tended to be big, colourful & noisy; full of shouting, running and explosions - that's always going to play better with kids than the comparatively slower-paced, darker drama that Moffats crew is writing. I think someone once wrote that Moffat has retooled Who into more of a Grimms farirytale than the bombastic opera of RTD Who, I'd be inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

That was incredibly disappointing. I was so looking forward to it as I thought the poster art was really intriguing and last weeks preview made it look excellent. I enjoyed the first half an hour but couldn't wait to find out what the story was with the cubes. And then... nothing. Seriously, they came alive for 5 mins, stopped a few people's hearts, the Doctor waves his screwdriver around and everyone's OK again?? WTF?! Never mind the biological impossibility of this (those people literally came back to life, not a bother on them, despite no oxygen going to their brains for however long they were "dead") but what was the whole point of the slow invasion? If they just wanted to kill a third of the population, why didn't they just start shooting straight away? Why leave it a year? It doesn't make any sense. And the little girl... What was the point of her? Honest to god... I know Moffat didn't write this one but how could he possibly have approved this? Please god let it be part of a bigger story arc or else I'm seriously going to lose faith in his abilities as the show runner.

However, I suppose it wasn't all bad - Brian was equally hilarious and endearing, the Doctor on the Wii made me laugh out load and watching them sitting in front of TV eating fish fingers and custard gave me a lovely feeling in my stomach. But seriously, s**t ending.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The side adventures (ie the 7 week hiatus during the party) actually seemed alot more interesting that the main plot. As for the brain dead activity - could the boxes are targeted politicians, as that behaviour is the norm for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

River Song and Angels next week...plus bye bye to the ponderous Ponds. It may get better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I thought it was quite a good episode, the funniest so far definitely, for what seemed a series filler barring the Ponds and the obvious build up to them leaving. The ending was disappointing though. Best scene was the look of disgust from Smith when uttering Twitter, anybody who watched the Alan Carr show last night will get it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

It seems for sure this is the set up of an arc in regards to the boxes and the new baddie race. There's no way they won't be mentioned again, it was all too easy. The whole data collection the boxes did is going to come back up, it has to!

Also surely the whole 7 minutes, 7 portals thing is just a reference to the fact that it's the seventh season?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They could have made this one a 2 parter to flesh out the cube story and had the whole "will they won't they" of the Ponds quitting the Doctor been a bit more of a gut wrenching decision and actually have them make a decision, not have Rory's dad do it for them.

I really liked the 1st 3 episodes of this series, and I liked the stand alone feel of them because I kind of thought it was supposed to reflect the fact that Amy/Rory weren't with the Doctor as much as before. So they were "stand alone" adventures for them too. Which I thought was building up to them making the decision for themselves to stop. Now I don't know where it's all going.

I'm still enjoying it more than last years really long and confusing arc that ran through all the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

This was a really well written episode! Personally loved it some really really funny parts in it!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I enjoyed it but I found the plot fairly thin.

There seemed to be a lot more emphasis on comedy set ups and harking back to the past (which I assume was intentional, poor Adric) rather than what the purpose and end game of the cubes was. It felt a bit rushed at the end and I assume we'll see what the "second phase" would have been at some later stage.

There was plenty to enjoy for me personally though. People having actual conversations about their feelings, Brian, the Brig's daughter.

I think the Ponds' choice at the end was out of sync with where the episode was headed, I don't know why that is. They seemed to enjoy standing still, then all of a sudden they were off again. It just seemed like a clunky method of getting them back on the TARDIS for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Jemma Redgrave (UNIT head) and Steven Berkoff (Emperor Palpatine :rolleyes:) are theatrical heavyweights so we should be seeing more of them - they wouldn't just be happy with cameos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So the auto destruct on the ship, have to run off it immediately, anyone else notice they left the people on the ship but then they are all there? Did Rory save them, did I fall asleep near the end? if so, did the kidnapped people on the other ships die?

I enjoyed the first half of the episode but it just drifted into rubbish for the second half, also Amys line at the end, not sure if it was her tone of voice but it was hateful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Plot was thin on the ground, that is for sure. I did like three parts though: Brian's confronting the doctor about the fate of his previous assistants/companions, the introduction of Kate and The Doctor admitting his motivation to Amy for coming back to the Pond's: that she (and Rory to a respect) were his "first". - might explain 9/10's Rose obsession ;))

I still find it hard to believe he is disappearing companionless for 10 years at a time etc given his past tendencies to not be alone for long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think the age thing was mentioned by her saying she'd reckoned her and rory aged 10 years but not in the same time as earth + 10, just from all the time going around with the doctor, is that what you mean

Advertisement