Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disguisted with Pixi Foto

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

ella23 wrote: »
    Use the money to get a decent camera, save a little extra if you can for a decent DSLR (I found one a few years ago on eBay for 200 euro).

You'll get great quality photos,

Brilliant advice.
    Spend €200 on a secondhand entry level camera and you'll get fantastic photos.......

Sure while you're at it, buy some fabric in Hickeys, a needle and thread and you'll knock up a beautiful 3 piece suit.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Brilliant advice.
    Spend €200 on a secondhand entry level camera and you'll get fantastic photos.......

Sure while you're at it, buy some fabric in Hickeys, a needle and thread and you'll knock up a beautiful 3 piece suit.:rolleyes:

It wasn't an entry level camera thanks very much! I'm a photographer. It was a Canon 40d which I got as i needed an extra spare but didn't have the cash to buy new. Not entry level! Might as well pay for a camera if you're going to fork out 300 plus on crap photos which you could take yourself!
    I was only trying to help. No need to be a smart ar$e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think what was trying to be said is that a novice with a DSLR is not going to be able to produce quality images. We know the product that outfits like this produce are not bespoke but everthing has been set up for those taking the images and then the output would be put through a post production workflow.

Someone shooting in Auto and then editing on camera before getting cheap prints in Harvey Norman will look just like that. I know you were trying to help but the advice was probably quite naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'm guessing everyone who enters these Pixiphoto competitions for a "free photo" ends up "winning" - it's their way of getting you in the door so they can do the up-sell. It invariably works too - what percentage of people just take the "free" photo and walk away. I know we didn't!

It's not nice business practice but it's not unusual .... it's why Sky give you the first few months at a discounted rate and Amazon Prime give you the first month for free!

It's a few years ago now and I can't remember whether the "free" photo was the poorest of the bunch for us or not - but as Cabansail says, although there was nothing special about the photos, the fact that they had reasonable lighting and props and a "studio" set up to take baby pictures they were reasonable. Far better than I could produce with my D90 and Speedlight anyway! .... But the cost of them did remind me to have my own DSLR to hand more often so that I would have a plentiful supply of half reasonable photos as time goes by.

BTW - the whole racket continues with school photos once they get a bit older! Be prepared!!

Advertisement