Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bartholin Abscess

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

So I was recently surgically treated for a Bartholin Abscess. The procedure entailed making an incision in order for the abscess to drain. I was kept in hospital for 2 nights and the nurses were satisified that it had went well and let me go. I was told I'd have have the dressing (wire gauze) changed every second day for 4 weeks but heres the thing, the gauze keeps falling out within a day (or less) after they've changed it so I end up going to the nurse every day instead of every second day! They said not to worry too much about this as its such an awkward spot that its hard to stay in and just to keep it as clean as possible between visits. I'm just worried about the wound closing up between visits (the space of a day, 2 days max) as its meant to be kept open to continue draining in order to prevent reoccurance. Has anyone had any experience of this? I'm so worried that its going to reoccur.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I don't even know what that is? I guess if you're worried go back to your doctors, they're the only ones that can tell you whats normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Bartholin* Abscess are horrid to have and for it to be so bad you needed surgery, you have my sympathy. When next you go to the nurse talk to them about alternative ways to pack the area and if wearing any sort of support under wear might help. I don't' blame you for wanting to be sure it never reoccurs.

* for ladies who don't know where their Bartholin glands are, they are in the labia majora and provide lubrication as well as part of the bodies natural defenses and cleaning of the vulva.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Oh, Taz, you poor thing. I didn't know what they were either but after Sharrow's explanation, I really feel for you.

Definitely get onto your doctor or nurses with your concerns. If you have no joy with one, ask another until you get a clear answer. Good luck and I hope you're fully on the mend soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good answers and support so far folks, especially about a subject that's quite hidden and affects many women(a mate of mine had it and she was in bits with it initially), but ye know the drill, no medical advice or the thread will have to be closed(which would be a pity). Thanks

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

Thanks for the comorting words guys! Sorry Wibbs, didn't know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement