Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a noob?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys,

Have made the decision after almost 27 years of smoking (since I was nine!) to give up. I smoke about 10 a day, or anything up to 30 if I'm out for pints.

What I need is something that tastes similar to Benson. Real Irish Benson, and I'm picky in my tastes (I can't smoke the duty free ones or the US Senior Service, they taste awful).

Any recommendations on the best e-cig out there and flavour/atomisers from other reformed B&H smokers? I don't mind shelling out a few extra quid for a decent e-cig that will hold a charge or has a USB charger or whatever.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/xldcc.htm

good starter kit, has most of the basics. 2 batteries, charger, wall adapter for the usb charger, and 5 dual coil cartomisers

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/category-s/1822.htm you'll want a drip tip too, handier than wrapping your mouth around the cartomiser body.. which can get kinda hot if you chain vape it

be no harm to throw one of these into the order too to try out. cartomisers aren't for everybody, some love em some don't.. and these kangers are getting good reviews lately

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kr-510.htm

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangt2.htm

the second one is replaceable.. in that when the performance starts to dip and the atomiser is on the way out.. you just take the atomiser itself out and put in a replacement atomiser which can be bought on their own for around 2 euro.

juice wise.. you're never going to find one that tastes ilke a brand of cigarettes or even like a cigarette that's being smoked. it's just not going to happen, sorry.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/eltorocn.htm
    this juice is made with actual tobacco leaves so its probably the closest you're going to get. it's delicious, my all-day vape but even at that.. it's not really anything like a real cigarette.

you're best off ordering a few 10ml bottles to start with and finding what you like.. juice tastes can vary wildly from person to person.

the juices on e-smoke are generally very good so you'll be safe ordering a few tobacco flavoured juices from them to try out or even having a look at the other irish sites and seeing if any of the juices listed appeal

ezsmoke do 5ml samplers of dekang juices http://www.ezsmoke.ie/dekang-05ml-c-48_70_66.html . could be a good idea to order a few.. if you dont like them, you havent spent much money.

strength wise.. its hard to say what's best for a new vaper. start off with 18mg.. it's right there in the middle, not too high.. not too low.

--edit

there's lots of new stuff always coming out for vaping. fancier batteries, variable voltage, loads of new "Must-try" juices and atomisers every month. if you want to, you can start sampling all sorts of wonderful stuff as you go on.. but for simplicities sake the above stuff is more than enough for someone starting out and if you do decide to move up the ladder in a few months.. there will come a day when you'll be glad you started simple, if only for the backups.

also, as I said above.. some people just dont like cartomisers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80734854&postcount=4

sept09baby did up a sample shopping list for an alternative starter kit. she did it up for 2 people so just divide stuff by 2, you wont need 4 batteries for example.
    one change i'd make from that order is to order 900mah batteries instead of 650mah.. they're not that much bigger but they'll last 3-4 hours more before needing to be charged

any other questions just shout

• Registered Users Posts: 39 prometheus2012

Excellent, thanks for you help Digby

P.S. I do have one, ehh, odd question ... I find the first cig of the day in the morning is great for bringing on a visit to the toilet!! Do e-cigs have the same effect?!!!

cant say I've noticed that but then I never got that with cigs either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What Digby says. He's so fast...

This is what I'd put on the shopping list...
    MkYXD.jpg
    ...making sure to use the 'boards' discount code, and maybe keep checking
    e-smokeireland to see when they get the pre-steeped version of Virginia Prime in, as that's the closest to a cig I've tasted (Cigarillos is great too though), and is my all-day, very-quickly-depleting vape (25mls in four days feels naughty to me - stupid dual-coils!).

Man, I wish my first shopping list had that quality and price... Ugh.

What a difference 8 months makes!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

P.S. I do have one, ehh, odd question ... I find the first cig of the day in the morning is great for bringing on a visit to the toilet!! Do e-cigs have the same effect?!!!

I used to get that after I quit and went back on them (wouldn't smoke all day and would have my first in the evening). Probably was all the chemicals relaxing the body, so I don't think you'll have that problem/pleasure (Nicotine being a stimulant etc.).

• Advertisement

yeah thats probably better than mine.. I just dont really like reccomending the twists to new vapers

still see them as more of an intermediary/advanced device.. but no reason not to start with them I guess, just my own preconceptions stopping me

i'd also throw another couple of bottles of juice into the order, just to be safe that you fiund something you like. try at least one non tobacco juice.

yeah thats probably better than mine.. I just dont really like reccomending the twists to new vapers

still see them as more of an intermediary/advanced device.. but no reason not to start with them I guess, just my own preconceptions stopping me
    As long as they get replacement heads for clearos that stay below 10 watts (that's the 2.4ohm and above when you're choosing in the menus, newbie/s!), I think they're safe from harm.
    i'd also throw another couple of bottles of juice into the order, just to be safe that you fiund something you like. try at least one non tobacco juice.
    I had to stop myself from throwing 30mls of Swedish Fish in there!

I was all "Give it a rest, me..."

Get Swedish Fish, prometheus2012! It's amaaaaaazinnnnng.

Don't forget to take slower, longer drags and exhale through the nose for full effect with all juices. Especially Swedish Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I remember reading about this before, Cigarettes are toxic and so cause your body to start entering into a kind of mode where it can get rid of toxins. A more serious example of this is food poisoning where your body tries to expel everything. The cigarette you have in the morning causes a weaker version of this (to me too), coffee also does it.

I wonder if the Nicotine in eCigs will trigger the same reaction, should be interesting to find out. (I'm just starting out myself.)

Nicotine is a laxative. All stimulants are.
    Many of my friends need to "poo" when they take "other forms" of stimulants, caffeine has the same effect.

Whether or not you'll need to is down to your diet and general well-being, but I wouldn't recommend having a double-espresso full-fat latte while vaping a 36mg juice after a hearty bowl of weetabix.

Or would I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

as a recent 'convert' i've found that no, e-cigs don't have this effect. your mileage may vary. ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers grindle. Is that everything I need to get going then that you've included in the sample order?

Is there any need to buy a case or anything for it?

Going to order today, and already getting excited about quitting smoking!

that's everything, you dont really need a case

throw a couple more 10ml bottles of juice in, jus to try stuff out
    but otherwise you're sorted with that

Cheers grindle. Is that everything I need to get going then that you've included in the sample order?

Is there any need to buy a case or anything for it?
    No need to buy a case, I just slap everything in my jacket pocket.
    If you're gonna be sitting down and don't have handy jacket pockets I'd search out a large cigar tube or a glasses case or something, but some seem to get around fine with that setup in their pockets.
    I'd be afraid I'd break something though.

The juices I put on the order would do you about 4-7 days depending on your vape-speed.
    Maybe throw a couple of extra juices from Wingnut's range, he makes savage juices.
    You might think you don't want delicious sweet flavours, but as your senses reawaken... Nomnomnom.
    Swedish Fish, Gummy Bears, Strawberry Milkshake, Honey Wood Tobacco are all fantastic.

grindle wrote: »
    No need to buy a case, I just slap everything in my jacket pocket.
    If you're gonna be sitting down and don't have handy jacket pockets I'd search out a large cigar tube or a glasses case or something, but some seem to get around fine with that setup in their pockets.
    I'd be afraid I'd break something though.

The juices I put on the order would do you about 4-7 days depending on your vape-speed.
    Maybe throw a couple of extra juices from Wingnut's range, he makes savage juices.
    You might think you don't want delicious sweet flavours, but as your senses reawaken... Nomnomnom.
    Swedish Fish, Gummy Bears, Strawberry Milkshake, Honey Wood Tobacco are all fantastic.

THanks guys, you've been a great help. Going to order now :-)

OK, my stuff arrived this morning. Yay!

Quick question ... how many ml of juice (El Toro Cigarillos) should I put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

OK, my stuff arrived this morning. Yay!

Quick question ... how many ml of juice (El Toro Cigarillos) should I put in?

How big is the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

If it's the Kanger T2 fill it up to about 2mls

Sorry, it's the Kanger T2, thanks Sept.

Last question, I promise (for the time being) ... how long does the 900mah Ego twist take to charge?

It's sitting on my desk and I'm DYING to get started!!

3-4 hours maybe

the first few charges are a bit different though.. I think. I think the battery has to kind of come to live slowly over the course of a few charges/drains before you can get to its proper life cycle

Last question, I promise (for the time being) ... how long does the 900mah Ego twist take to charge?

500mah charger charges 900mah battery in 1hr 48mins, theoretically.

• Advertisement

i imagine it'll take about 3-4 hours.

or what grindle said

:eek:Is it that long?!?

grindle wrote: »
    :eek:Is it that long?!?

i've the 650 and it takes a few hours. granted i'm charging off my pc but its still about 3-4 hours.

i use a plug in charger and.. im pretty sure it takes at least 2 hours.. closer to 3 before I see the green light

i keep trying to measure it, but im never sure just how depleted the battery is and I keep forgetting to check the charger uintil 4-5 hours later

i imagine its like a phone though when you first get it. charge it for longer than normal so it comes to life and the like. As Digby said

Why do the mah ratings lie?!? A milliamp hour isn't a milliamp hour if it's not measuring milliamps by the hour.

:confused:

Fuck batteries. To death.

Just another one of life's disappointments...

well the internal resistance of the battery probably comes into play

and gremlins.. always gremlins

Definitely gremlins! To prove this, I just checked the amp-rating for the TH charger.
    1000mah.
    Charges 3200mah in half the time it should.

What in Vaporeon's name is going on here?
    Why must I always off-road threads with new questions! GAH!

• Advertisement

Jesus the 18mg El Toro is awful strong, and I'm a (was a!) Benson smoker.

Advertisement