Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Picked up my ticket today...should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I'm liking that song Harvest anyway, I'd even maybe go to the gig, good way to suss them out more I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

flyswatter wrote: »
    I'm liking that song Harvest anyway, I'd even maybe go to the gig, good way to suss them out more I reckon.

I dunno, they're both literally an figuratively a very different band from the one that recorded Blackwater Park (and the other classic records).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Never knew Anathema were supporting, only started listening to them there today (latest album)

Untouchable (Part 1 and 2) is absolutely unbelievable, got serious shivers up my back at one point during the second part.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I'm gonna have to miss this due to other commitments :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Last nights setlist for Opeth. The previous night was very similar to this so looks like it will be a good night!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2012/o2-abc-glasgow-scotland-3bda88e4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Deschain wrote: »
    Last nights setlist for Opeth. The previous night was very similar to this so looks like it will be a good night!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2012/o2-abc-glasgow-scotland-3bda88e4.html

Oh wow, very different setlist there. So much of the Heritaghe stuff replaced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Oh wow, very different setlist there. So much of the Heritaghe stuff replaced!

It was ****ing awesome. My neck actually hurts now from head banging.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Top gig......shame Anathema didn't play for longer though! Enjoyed laughing at Akerfeldt between songs, he's a funny guy!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fantastic gig. Some of the crowd chatting during the quieter songs (particularly the start of famine) was incredibly rude though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

Thought it was a brilliant gig. I hadnt looked at previous setlists from this tour (to remain "spoiler free" as it were) and was expecting mostly Heritage songs and a few of the mellower songs off previous albums.
    I got a nice surprise when they played Ghost of Perdition and it carried on from there.
    Mikes growl was on surprisingly good. Overall it was a good balance of heavy and mellow songs...like Opeth in general really!
    Harlequin Forest! :cool:

It was a great gig. Band sounded great. I always forget how class Axe is. Love his drumming.

I'm glad it wasn't a Heritage heavy gig, because it would actually have been **** due to the crowd. During the start of Famine people were shouting at them and talking over it all etc. No wonder they cracked under pressure and made a heavier set. You'd get sick of that every night.
    I did love the set though! Great collection of songs
    Harlequin Forest! :cool:

Damn right! Love that song so much and had never seen them play it live

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fantastic gig, loved from the start to the end, and only then Opeth came on stage. Axe looked like he didnt break a sweat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Good gig, I thought the sound mix was fairly bad though, the other guy's guitar was quite down in the mix and sounded tinny/overly distorted. The bass was a bit muddy/indistinct, this mix also applied to Anathema. Maybe it was due to where I was standing at the side. Akerfeldt's jokes were strangely funny, must have been the magic of the gig. The drummer is a powerhouse, some great blast beats combined with jazz stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Very Good show it has to be said I also didn't check the recent setlists and I got surprised it was a good mix of maybe fair to say the lesser known tracks on the albums on which they appear (Reverie-H. Forest,Hessian Peel,White Cluster) with the heavies (Blackwater Park/Ghost.../Deliverance) and the 2 heritage tracks. White Cluster or H. Forest my standouts but the whole thing was enjoyable as per usual they leave ya begging for more.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    During the start of Famine people were shouting at them and talking over it all etc.

That was shocking alright very disrespectful when people were shouting for others to quite down was also very embarrassing.
    Good gig, I thought the sound mix was fairly bad though, the other guy's guitar was quite down in the mix and sounded tinny/overly distorted. The bass was a bit muddy/indistinct, this mix also applied to Anathema. Maybe it was due to where I was standing at the side. Akerfeldt's jokes were strangely funny, must have been the magic of the gig. The drummer is a powerhouse, some great blast beats combined with jazz stuff.

I moved around to different spots, ya the sides due to the ceiling being lower there I'd say wasn't great, feel sorry for the people sitting on the ground floor those seats seemed ridiculous.

That was shocking alright very disrespectful when people were shouting for others to quite down was also very embarrassing.

Agreed, it was embarrassing.
    I thought the sound mix was fairly bad though, the other guy's guitar was quite down in the mix and sounded tinny/overly distorted. The bass was a bit muddy/indistinct, this mix also applied to Anathema. Maybe it was due to where I was standing at the side. Akerfeldt's jokes were strangely funny, must have been the magic of the gig. The drummer is a powerhouse, some great blast beats combined with jazz stuff.

This is definitely a thing I notice in Vicar Street a lot. They seem to always have a stereo setup with the guitars, so if you're on the right you miss a lot of the volume on Fredrik's side. I was only a little on centre right and could notice it

Great Gig.Absolutely fantastic musicians

I thought Famine was savage,it sounded devilishly evil.I noticed that they have dropped it from their set,probably for reasons mentioned above. They have also dropped Burden so I am glad we got both of those songs in the set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement