Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your video game regrets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Super Nintendo was a much better machine in terms of it's library of games but it doesn't change the fact that the Megadrive was a superb machine, don't see how anyone could be disappointed in owning one.

I am not saying the Megadrive didn't have some good games or was a crap system.

What I am saying was I regretted choosing a Megadrive when I should have chosen a SNES (and there was no way my parents could or would've bought me a second console).

The SNES had better games. Mario > Sonic. Mode 7 > Blast processing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Buying the Playstation 3 at launch.

It is now gathering dust under my bed, YLOD one times too many, a €630 Celtic Tiger relic. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I did worse, selling a saturn plus 23 games (including Guardian Heroes & Shining The Holy Ark) for about €60 in a car boot sale

I gave away my N64 and about 15 games!!

quad_red wrote: »
    Mario > Sonic.

Sorry but just no

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sorry but just no

Sorry, but just yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Seriously, look, even they've gotten over this one:

MSOG_Mario_Sonic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I am not saying the Megadrive didn't have some good games or was a crap system.

What I am saying was I regretted choosing a Megadrive when I should have chosen a SNES (and there was no way my parents could or would've bought me a second console).

The SNES had better games. Mario > Sonic. Mode 7 > Blast processing ;)

I also chose the Mega Drive over SNES. This was mainly due to its game libary as there were more games for it at time I wanted then on the SNES plus I got 6 games with it when I bought it new. Well it was actually 2 cartridges with 3 games on each... none of which was Sonic but did include the awesome "Streets of Rage" and "Golden Axe".

I did later regret this decision... not the Mega Drive purchase (one of my fave consoles) but the fact I didn't have a SNES. I did pick one up a later date and then for some reason sold it (my earlier regret!).
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Seriously, look, even they've gotten over this one:

MSOG_Mario_Sonic.jpg

Mario looks quite angry in the picture (maybe still bears a grudge!!) though Sonic looks like has a smile.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Sorry, but just yes.

The only Mario game that I ever liked was on the original Gameboy. I always hated the watery controls, of mario games.

(I am referring to the platformer and not Kart, although the N64 and Wii versions are terrible)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

It's all personal taste, obviously.

I loved Streets of Rage 2. And Sonic 2. And epic four player battles in Micro Machines. And Ecco.

But the standout titles (for me) of that generation were on the SNES - Mariokart, Super Mario Land, Zelda, Contra Spirits. I played them for many hours in friends.

So, all in all, I would still have preferred a SNES.

The whole Mario > Sonic thing was tongue in cheek tbh. The only Mario games I've played since that generation was Mario on the DS and Sonic on the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I always hated the watery controls, of mario games.

Seriously?

I thought there was almost universal acceptance that Mario has some of the tightest controls of any platformer. Ever. I always felt that I had absolute control over everything Mario does. If I slip of a ledge or fail to make a tricky jump I never once blame the controls, I always know it was something I did. The same cannot be said for a platformer like Little Big Planet (I'm a big fan of it regardless) or even the Sonic games, in which it can be tricky to control him at slow speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

It's all personal taste, obviously.

I loved Streets of Rage 2. And Sonic 2. And epic four player battles in Micro Machines. And Ecco.

Micro Machines V3 was the bomb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Any reason in particular?

Bought it on a deal from Argos when strolling through the shop one Christmass only to discover that any games I really wanted to play I already had on the 360.

Impulse purchases I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The only Mario game that I ever liked was on the original Gameboy. I always hated the watery controls, of mario games.

(I am referring to the platformer and not Kart, although the N64 and Wii versions are terrible)

DAFUQ ?!?!? You sure you played Mario World and not Waynes World or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

blobby360 wrote: »
    Never playing Shenmue even though I had a Dreamcast :(

But I'm going to buy Shenmue 2 this week :D

may I recommend you first playing Shenmue on the Dreamcast and then carrying over your save to Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

I think even though the xbox version of Shenmue 2 is technically superior, I think it looks better on Dreamcast and I prefer the Japanese Dub over the god-awful English Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I sold a boatload of old PS2 games when my PS2 died & I realised I had little interest in replacing it.

1 week later, I met a buddy I hadn't seen in years. He is now an avid PS2 collector & would have bought everything at twice the price...

Also, losing my Secret of Mana A4 strategy guide when we moved here from Germany :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bought an Xbox in the first week of release with Halo only to discover that playing FPS games with a gamepad is a road to nowhere.

Speaking of Halo, console gaming has been in a dark age since it was release, especially compared to what we had before.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Seriously?

I thought there was almost universal acceptance that Mario has some of the tightest controls of any platformer. Ever. I always felt that I had absolute control over everything Mario does. If I slip of a ledge or fail to make a tricky jump I never once blame the controls, I always know it was something I did. The same cannot be said for a platformer like Little Big Planet (I'm a big fan of it regardless) or even the Sonic games, in which it can be tricky to control him at slow speeds.

I prefer Mario to Sonic, but I think what he is referring to is due to the animation for Mario skidding around has always been a few too many frames; takes too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bought an Xbox in the first week of release with Halo only to discover that playing FPS games with a gamepad is a road to nowhere.

Speaking of Halo, console gaming has been in a dark age since it was release, especially compared to what we had before. In My Opinion

Fixed it for ya! ;)

Actually, Halo, imho, heralded a new age of console FPS, a genre that was locked into competing with the, by then, old hat Goldeneye on the N64.
    After Halo things got a little more interesting, although it was funny to watch Sony flailing about like a leprous crocodile in 2 inches of water trying to produce a similar product, Killzone being their big attempt and a massive FAIL at that.
    And so it has continued, Sony trying again and again to make a decent FPS and treating us to game after game of brown courtesy of the derivative Killzone and awful Resistance titles.
    Thank the gods the PS3 got Crysis 2.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also, losing my Secret of Mana A4 strategy guide when we moved here from Germany :(

Similar story here, when I sold up my Snes and games I sold my lovely big box Super Metroid, along with that awesome sauce manual/guide book.

Now I own a Snes and even more games, including Super Metroid.... but it's unboxed and I have no Super Sized game guide... :(

I did also sell my PS stuff back in the day, along with Castlevania SOTN, had everything including art cards and soundtrack.
    I sold it to a mate of a mate.
    I was over in this mates some ten years later and happened to mention my current PS collection.
    He then said he had some PS games in his place, and rooted them out.
    To my surprise out came Castlevania SOTN!
    And it was my copy!
    Turns out the person he passed it on to had gotten rid of it back to him for nothing, some 4 years later and it had sat in storage ever since! Along with most of the games!
    So we were reunited!
    So regrets but with a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sony trying again and again to make a decent FPS and treating us to game after game of brown courtesy of the derivative Killzone and awful Resistance titles.
    Thank the gods the PS3 got Crysis 2.....

I thought the Resistance 3 campaign was much more interesting than the one in Crysis 2.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I didn't play the 3rd Resistance title because,
    a- I nearly lost the will to live playing the first two games in the series.
    and
    2- My PS3 ylod'd on me last year and I haven't found one good reason to buy another one.

I'm playing through Crysis, as downloaded from XBLA, and it's brilliant.
    The visuals are rougher around the edges than the sequel but it's an even better game.
    The choices of how to complete a levels objectives are entirely your own and in that way it has a lot in common with the Operation Flashpoint titles.

Have no regrets of my own, well perhaps actually taking the time to finish the last Duke Nukem was a waste of 6 hours but overall there's not a game or console I own that I regret. I also have all my games going back to the Commadore 64, I've never traded in a game that I didn't either have duplicate copies of or knew would never be played again under any circumstances. Think I've traded in or sold off 7 games in all which over 20 years of gaming ain't bad.

Reading back over the pages of trade ins that people regret I remembered when a few years back when my younger brothers, they were 12 or do at the time traded in a number of their games into GameStop and got sweet fa. Think they got 7 euro for 12 games and the guy working there made out he was doing them a massive favor taking in the games. When my Mom found out what they'd done she went up to GameStop and demanded that they return the games. They told her she could buy them at the now on shelf price of just under 200 euro, a 193 euro mark up. My mom handed they the 7 euro back and asked they to return the games as my brothers didnt have any right to sell them. The guy working told her tough luck and my mom asked to speak to the manager who after being asked would he consider returning the games told her it was no problem. I didn't find out about any of this till well after but seeing what they traded I thank my stars that my mom went in and got the games back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Around the 2000 mark, I worked with this lady who told me she had a N64 for sale. I was never a big fan of the console, but I told her that I'd give it a few jams and mull it over. The next day, she brought this breifcase into work. It was a big jobby, and when I opened it, it had the console inside, sitting comfortably into perfectly sized holes that were cut from foam. There were also holes for the joypads, wires, and a number of games to rest in. It reminded me of that scene from Pulp Fiction- "Oh, yeah. We happy!"

I spent a week or so jamming on the console. Playing the socks off Mario Kart from what I can remember. Then I brought it all back into work, handed it back to the lady and said "Nah, you're grand. Thanks".

What was I thinking? It was cheap as chips, and would have been worth it for that swanky carrier case alone, never mind getting the console and a few games too for the asking price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

Not going on Youtube and turning game time into $ a lot sooner. Life is so good right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

VINCWM wrote: »
    Not going on Youtube and turning game time into $ a lot sooner. Life is so good right now.

Whats your channel then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No regrets buying wise. Well Ive bought many a turkey but never a full price triple A game so I don't really mind.

My main regrets are that Ive sold off every console Ive ever owned over the years. Had an Atari 2600 with ****loads of cartridges, a Megadrive, a PS1 with a massive collection, a PS2 (and slim) an Xbox and Xbox 360. Always had to sell to fund the next one. Would love to have them now. Not so much for the playing, just for nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you picked up MGS4 without playing the previous games, you were more or less guaranteed to be dissapointed. As regards the cutscenes argument (too many cutscenes), they were skippable, so yeah.

I regret not being able to keep my old sega megadrive or master system. My folks sold my old consoles in order to better afford new ones. The last one they bought me was a ps1.

I remember playing MGS2, and was sick of constant codec calls and cutscenes, was running across a bridge on the Big Shell, cutscene, went on for ages, codec call, another cutscene, thought feck this and skipped it, then next thing theres a frigging harrier jump jet shooting at me and I'd no idea what I was supposed to be doing. So I just watch them now :pac: I do regret completing MGS4 at around 1am in the morning, it didnt end until nearly an hour later!

console wise, selling my nes, snes and megadrive, siiiigh. I'd love to have them all back, emulators are grand but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

krudler wrote: »
    I remember playing MGS2, and was sick of constant codec calls and cutscenes, was running across a bridge on the Big Shell, cutscene, went on for ages, codec call, another cutscene, thought feck this and skipped it, then next thing theres a frigging harrier jump jet shooting at me and I'd no idea what I was supposed to be doing. So I just watch them now :pac: I do regret completing MGS4 at around 1am in the morning, it didnt end until nearly an hour later!

Haha. Yeah I started skipping them towards the end of the game where to me they were staring to be a constant pain and it didn't help that the story started going very weird. I either fast forwarded them or else read them as I found it quicker then the "acting".

To get my revenge I used to constantly call them and then hang up... also helped that this unlocked one of the various easter eggs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

People who complain about the cutscenes in MGS make me sad. :(

Another regret of mine was buying both Viva Pinata games and only playing them for about three days. Got them both for around 20 quid, wanting to experience the game for myself after hearing such great things about it. Great game, but just never went back to it for some reason...

• Advertisement

actually, not building a gaming PC for so long.

Advertisement