Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda virus, again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Malwarebytes deleted system files needed to startup my sisters pc.
    Now I get a black screen and can't start up the pc at all.
    The pc was fine before I scanned it with malwarebytes and it identified a load of files which weren't malware at all as trojans.
    I unfortunately trusted malwarebytes and deleted the files and it screwed up the pc completely.
    Now I don't know if the repair install is even going to work.
    I couldn't recommend malwarebytes to anyone based on my experience with it.
    Adaware also did the same thing on my old pc.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Unfortunately every automated spyware/virus scanner can potentially do this. That's why its better to use a diagnostic scanner like OTL or get an experts opinion before removing any potential malware. All the files MBAM removes are kept in a quarantine folder so you should be able to restore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

I had this today, used the Kaspersky Rescue CD.

The tutorial i read said to use KAspersky windows unlocker which fecked the boot record off the hard disk. I was getting the black screen.

So i had to rebuild the MBR with MBR Guru from the Hirens Boot CD.

Lucky i twigged it was the Master boot record that was knackered.

(from reading above, I'd say that the apps like Malwarebytes are doing the right thing, as in removing the dodgy boot sectors, but they dont know how to properly reconfigure it)

Advertisement