Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite sports books?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My own two favourites.
    Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe McGinniss
    Moneyball (which was turned into a film) by Michael Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A few already mentioned-
    • Dunphy- Only a Game
    • Kimmage- Rough Ride
    • Born to run

- Steaming In about fighting and life in the terraces. Granted, I read this about 20 years ago so might just have been excited about the violence.
    - Full Time by- Tony Cascarino. Very honest

- Ball Four - baseball diary from a player in 1968. Gave an insight into baseball. commissioner of baseball called him a traitor for revealing details & insight.

- Four Iron in my Soul by Lawrence Donegan. author spent a year caddying for Scottish journeyman golfer Ross Drummond, ranked over 400 in the world, on the European Tour. An insight into what the golfing world is like for the non-stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Kings of September, about Seamus Darby winning his 3rd All Ireland medal ( among other things in the Offaly win to stop the kerry 5-in-a-row)
    by Michael Foley is very good

The Bloodied Field by the same fella has some good reviews, I'm getting it for xmas, Ive been told.

George Kimbal wrote Four Kings about Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and marvelous Marvin Hagler
    great book
    He also wrote an anthology of Irish times columns about a more varied (than just boxing) sports
    American at Large

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

There we were - Italia 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Jonny Wilkinson's autobiography is one of the better sports bios out there. He speaks a lot about his struggles with his mental health. He has an obsessive and anxious personality. There were times when one of his conversions won the game, but he'd be back out practicing 20 minutes after the final whistle because he failed to convert a try in the opening 5 minutes. The most extreme example of this is when his drop-kick won England the World Cup, but immediately after kicking it he was worried that his team mates would think he was selfish for scoring it himself! Fascinating stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement