Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTL: Faster Than Light

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Could you recommend a ship to try normal on? I'm trying it with Mantis B at the moment because I just unlcoked it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Grimebox wrote: »
    Could you recommend a ship to try normal on? I'm trying it with Mantis B at the moment because I just unlcoked it

The 4 person teleport is incredibly powerful. It's tough for the first few sectors and if you get one of those automated drone ships it can be tricky - they have no oxygen so your boarding party will die.

If you're quick you can destroy a subsystem with a level 2 teleporter and get back before you die. Be careful though. You can't teleport back a guy from a cloaked ship.

Personally, I'd go for either the Red Tail (Kestrel B) or the Zoltan B.

Engi B is a bit slow and methodical but I think it's probably the safeest and most stable ship after the two Zoltan ones (which can avoid lots of damage, drones, teleport, mind control and all that because of their shields).

I am somehow at sector 6 with Mantis B, but I have no weapons so far. I've taken down everything with the boarding crew alone. I need any weapon ASAP for the end boss I think!

I am somehow at sector 6 with Mantis B, but I have no weapons so far. I've taken down everything with the boarding crew alone. I need any weapon ASAP for the end boss I think!

Yeah. you can't destroy it with your crew still on board and he has a level 3 med bay so it'll be tough to board it and kill the crew.

At the very least you need some bombs.

Gbear wrote: »
    Yeah. you can't destroy it with your crew still on board and he has a level 3 med bay so it'll be tough to board it and kill the crew.

At the very least you need some bombs.

The only weapon I could buy was the Flak 1 which was pretty useless. I managed to kill the entire crew eventually by teleporting all 8 of my crew on board. Their healing room can only fit four so I eventually caught some of them coming back and forth from healing. It took ages though!

I accidentally killed off the one guy manning the lasers with a boarding drone too so that meant I had to leave one crew member beside the rockets at all times to prevent it from auto-healing.

I died at the third stage though. I didn't take down the missile launcher quick enough at the start. The flak took far too long to take down the zoltan shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Lanius B ship is good if you have it. Cloning bay plus teleportation allows for some aggressive play. I'd recommend upgrading the cloning bay if you do get it though just for the added protection (don't power it, just make sure it can handle one shot!)

Also the crystal ship is overpowered but really, really hard to get.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the red tail is really good due to diverse crew (great for blue choices in events) and 4 lasers off the bat. And the mantis ships are both great.

Finally beat it on normal using the Zoltan A. I focussed heavily on defence and minimising damage. Full shields, full engine, full cloak, anti-drone drone and mark two defense drone. Easy peasy

Finally beat it on normal using the Zoltan A. I focussed heavily on defence and minimising damage. Full shields, full engine, full cloak, anti-drone drone and mark two defense drone. Easy peasy

The anti-drone drone is so handy for the 2nd stage of the boss.

If you have that you're nearly invulnerable once you take out the missiles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Don't know about the rest of you, but I love hitting a room with a fire bomb, then following it up instantly by transporting 4 rock men in. Makes almost any ship a piece of cake.

Of course, I type this, and then the next two ships are airless drones that kick my a$$. Typical.

FTL. She is a harsh mistress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

So today on a Kestrel B run (a victory :) ) I had to fight two Rebel Flagships

f2ne5g.jpg

By the time I had to fight the final Flagship, I had 3 hull smashers, full mind control, full cloak and teleport. Was a little too easy.
    Keep mind controlling the guys in the main body of the ship until their team mates kill them, teleport to each of the weapons apart from the lasers and kill each of them. Then can use the hull smashers to take out the medbay and then teleport in and mop up.
    Repeat for the other two levels, using cloak to avoid the power surges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've never heard that..... I turned off the music almost straight away. It sounded like MIDI music to me at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've never heard that..... I turned off the music almost straight away. It sounded like MIDI music to me at first.

you did yourself a massive disservice. the soundtrack is fantastic and thoughtful. The composer literally wrote 2 versions of every song (except the above), each version is either in-combat or out of combat, and the game engine plays both concurrently, so when you enter a hostile situation it will transition into playing the more tense combat version of the song and then fade out again once you are done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a fantastic soundtrack. Should definitely be left on.

I turn off 90% of soundtracks to be honest and put on my own stuff. It's a bad habit I picked up years ago. Music quality is huge for me. It wasn't up til the ps2 era when the quality got good enough. Even still, I just started playing Persona 4 and the music is repetitive drivel in that so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This god damn game :mad:

Spent all day yesterday trying to clear the additional content, and just couldn't do it. Not sure how many runs, with both the Zoltan cruiser or Red Tail, failed towards the end. No luck with drops or random encounters, and the best i could manage was stage 3 of the flagship, which slaughtered me by the time i got through it's Zoltan shield. Arg!!

Brilliant game though.

Advertisement