Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I am a fan of the cinema and believe in going to see the cinema for big movies like this. If I feel the movie is not worth the effort of attending I will wait for the rental. Where i do feel studios are ripping people off is the home entertainment releases. The prices of new release Blu Rays and to a lessor extent DVDs is outrageous. Having supported the movie at the cinema and wanting to enjoy to pleasure of watching it again at home shouldn't cost the price of two cinema tickets with a drink and popcorn.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the cinema and believe in going to see the cinema for big movies like this. If I feel the movie is not worth the effort of attending I will wait for the rental. Where i do feel studios are ripping people off is the home entertainment releases. The prices of new release Blu Rays and to a lessor extent DVDs is outrageous. Having supported the movie at the cinema and wanting to enjoy to pleasure of watching it again at home shouldn't cost the price of two cinema tickets with a drink and popcorn.

How is it outrageous? You can preorder most Blu-Rays for under 16 euro and if wait a couple of weeks or months you'll find most Blu-Rays for under 10 euro. Hell stores such as CEX have many new enough releases for under a tenner, I saw Trance for 8 euro in there this past week and there were dozens of films from the last 3 years for 3 euro and under.

I have a few Blu-Rays resting in my amazon account and the cheapest one is 14 euro. All of them are catalogue titles from publishers such as MoC, BFI and Criterion, and I'm quite happy to pay over 20 euro for pretty much anything they release. True cinema fans will have no issue paying for releases they want but sadly far too many people expect something for nothing and as such a lot of boutique labels are struggling due to piracy. Had HMV closed up show as many thought then you wouldn't be seeing as many of the greats of cinema getting such lovely Blu-Ray releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can't get to see everything in the cinema, it's more important that people see the films tbh. Whilst it's nice to go and support these films, it's not like Scorcese, DiCaprio etc need that, they can finance pretty much anything they want and it'll get a big release. It's not like going to see this in the cinema is going to influence the amount of foreign films being shown, or how much The Hobbit will be shown.

Look at the amount of good films being released over the next month or two, sure some people are lucky enough to be earning money and can go to them, but other's can't. Not sure how not seeing all those films in the cinema makes someone a lesser film fan than others.

How is it outrageous? You can preorder most Blu-Rays for under 16 euro and if wait a couple of weeks or months you'll find most Blu-Rays for under 10 euro. Hell stores such as CEX have many new enough releases for under a tenner, I saw Trance for 8 euro in there this past week and there were dozens of films from the last 3 years for 3 euro and under.

I have a few Blu-Rays resting in my amazon account and the cheapest one is 14 euro. All of them are catalogue titles from publishers such as MoC, BFI and Criterion, and I'm quite happy to pay over 20 euro for pretty much anything they release. True cinema fans will have no issue paying for releases they want but sadly far too many people expect something for nothing and as such a lot of boutique labels are struggling due to piracy. Had HMV closed up show as many thought then you wouldn't be seeing as many of the greats of cinema getting such lovely Blu-Ray releases.

Most new releases are 20 sterling on amazon.co.uk and well over 20 euro on HMV and Xtravision. You have to wait a number of weeks before they come down to anything like 14 euro. I have well over 600 BDs and a couple of 2000 DVDs.

14 euros is still too expensive. We all know about the bargains that can be got. I am talking about new releases.

BTW the bolded part quite stupid. Only a fool will pay release day prices on BDs. Why pay 20 euro on release week when if you wait a couple of weeks or month you can make substantial savings, yet the studios still rip people off on the release pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rida wrote: »
    watched a DVD quality rip of it last night - quality film 9/10 and very funny

American Hustle not great 6.5 outta 10 for me

Gravity - 8/10

All watch on VOD straight from my laptop to 40" TV - all screeners and all worth the watch

Now this is someone who I would regard a problem. I don't begrudge someone who goes to the cinema once a month or so and has a Netflix sub as well watching the odd film that they wouldn't have gone to anyway but when it gets to the stage like this where all you do is take without giving anything back then I've a problem.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Can't get to see everything in the cinema, it's more important that people see the films tbh. Whilst it's nice to go and support these films, it's not like Scorcese, DiCaprio etc need that, they can finance pretty much anything they want and it'll get a big release. It's not like going to see this in the cinema is going to influence the amount of foreign films being shown, or how much The Hobbit will be shown.

Look at the amount of good films being released over the next month or two, sure some people are lucky enough to be earning money and can go to them, but other's can't. Not sure how not seeing all those films in the cinema makes someone a lesser film fan than others.

So if you cant make the time or cant afford to see a film it's acceptable to steal it? Nice rational there for stealing. If you're such a film fan why not wait till the home release and you know, support the filmmakers you like.
    Most new releases are 20 sterling on amazon.co.uk and well over 20 euro on HMV and Xtravision. You have to wait a number of weeks before they come down to anything like 14 euro. I have well over 600 BDs and a couple of 2000 DVDs.

14 euros is still too expensive. We all know about the bargains that can be got. I am talking about new releases.

BTW the bolded part quite stupid. Only a fool will pay release day prices on BDs. Why pay 20 euro on release week when if you wait a couple of weeks or month you can make substantial savings, yet the studios still rip people off on the release pricing.

Very few new releases are £20 on amazon. Most are around the £13 mark and even then you'll find many for a lot less. Hell I saw Vendetta for £8 in the months leading up to its release.

How is €14 too expensive for something you can revisit time after time? If anything it's a bargain considering that many new releases contain substantial extra features. HMV were fantastic for new release pricing. When it was open in Galway I routinely get new releases for €15 euro and that included a number of MoC, BFI and other labels. No one is forcing anyoneyo buy a new release on the first Friday so I can't see how anyone is being ripped off.

So if you cant make the time or cant afford to see a film it's acceptable to steal it? Nice rational there for stealing. If you're such a film fan why not wait till the home release and you know, support the filmmakers you like.

Very few new releases are £20 on amazon. Most are around the £13 mark and even then you'll find many for a lot less. Hell I saw Vendetta for £8 in the months leading up to its release.

How is €14 too expensive for something you can revisit time after time? If anything it's a bargain considering that many new releases contain substantial extra features. HMV were fantastic for new release pricing. When it was open in Galway I routinely get new releases for €15 euro and that included a number of MoC, BFI and other labels. No one is forcing anyoneyo buy a new release on the first Friday so I can't see how anyone is being ripped off.

Release date at 13 sterling my ass. Most are in excess of 17 sterling (if you haven't forgot we use Euros here).

Exchange rate (current http://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=GBP&to=EUR&amount=1.00)

Add to that shipping. Free if you spend an excess. If you think sterling is not a rip off fair enough. I doubt you speak for the majority.

Oh and I am a real movie fan.:rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/most-wished-for/dvd/383380011/ref=zg_bsnr_tab_t_mw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

anyone who thinks that the rip online is of DVD quality has obviously never seen a DVD in their life. It looks like a 5th generation VHS tape. Friends of mine were watching it last night and it looked like a rather poor cam rip.

Spot on. There's a lot of rubbish on this thread about how these screeners are DVD quality. That is complete nonsense. The screeners are VHS quality, even though the source may be a dvd. Studio's purposefully create the screeners with low quality due to leaks and piracy as a real DVD standard high quality screener would decimate sales. People that think they are watching DVD quality are deluded to the point where they must think a regular commercial DVD is "HD" quality

Release date at 13 sterling my ass. Most are in excess of 17 sterling (if you haven't forgot we use Euros here).

Exchange rate (current http://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=GBP&to=EUR&amount=1.00)

Add to that shipping. Free if you spend an excess. If you think sterling is not a rip off fair enough. I doubt you speak for the majority.

Oh and I am a real movie fan.:rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/most-wished-for/dvd/383380011/ref=zg_bsnr_tab_t_mw

Pre-release prices on amazon fluctuate widely before release date. Riddick is now 3 pound cheaper than it was a week ago. Prices would be considerably cheaper had HMV not gotten into trouble. Perhaps if the people on here trying to justify piracy had actually paid for films then there would be some competition out there for amazon.

This time last year amazon was considerably cheaper though tbh, looking through the site and when you can get the complete Battlestar Galactica on Blu-Ray for under 40 euro it's hard to see how anyone would bother pirating.

Also it's hard to call it a rip off considering that no one is forcing anyone to buy them. If you think a Blu-Ray is too expensive then simply don't buy it. But don't turn around and try to use the cost to justify the fact that you are stealing a product. If you think a new release is a rip off then you don't buy it or you wait till it's cheaper. The only new releases I buy are Criterion and MoC as they generally take considerably longer to go down in price and even then I'd rather pay full price and support a company I love than go out and download a rip simply because I don't want to pay the price they ask.

Pre-release prices on amazon fluctuate widely before release date. Riddick is now 3 pound cheaper than it was a week ago. Prices would be considerably cheaper had HMV not gotten into trouble. Perhaps if the people on here trying to justify piracy had actually paid for films then there would be some competition out there for amazon.

This time last year amazon was considerably cheaper though tbh, looking through the site and when you can get the complete Battlestar Galactica on Blu-Ray for under 40 euro it's hard to see how anyone would bother pirating.

Also it's hard to call it a rip off considering that no one is forcing anyone to buy them. If you think a Blu-Ray is too expensive then simply don't buy it. But don't turn around and try to use the cost to justify the fact that you are stealing a product. If you think a new release is a rip off then you don't buy it or you wait till it's cheaper. The only new releases I buy are Criterion and MoC as they generally take considerably longer to go down in price and even then I'd rather pay full price and support a company I love than go out and download a rip simply because I don't want to pay the price they ask.

Excuse me?:confused: Where have i said it was okay to rip the studios off or admitted to doing so? Are you trying to blacken my name?

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    Spot on. There's a lot of rubbish on this thread about how these screeners are DVD quality. That is complete nonsense. The screeners are VHS quality, even though the source may be a dvd. Studio's purposefully create the screeners with low quality due to leaks and piracy as a real DVD standard high quality screener would decimate sales. People that think they are watching DVD quality are deluded to the point where they must think a regular commercial DVD is "HD" quality

Here's the DVD quality people are talking about. Look how crisp and clear that image is, really a great way to experience the film

288226.png

288228.png

288227.png

288226.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can we stay on topic please? This thread is for discussing The Wolf of Wall Street. If you want to discuss the price of Blu-rays and the merits of watching leaked screeners, do it in a separate thread. Thanks.

And what about the false accusation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Are you trying to blacken my name?

Better call this guy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090481/

FlashD wrote: »

Haha used to enjoy that show.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Posts related to illegal downloads have been deleted, as will any more posts that aren't discussing the film itself. As Sad Professor said, feel free to start a new thread if you feel the subject needs further discussion. Thanks.
    And what about the false accusation?

Honestly, I think Darko is just talking in general and hypothetical terms, not accusing you directly. If you have an issue with the post, I'd advise chatting with him via PM to clarify any confusion there might be, as to my eyes no forum rules are being broken. If you have any further concerns here, you can PM one of the mods about it.

Now, the thread from here on out is reserved exclusively for Wolf of Wall Street film discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Watched this last night and found it to be excellent. I'll probably check it out in the cinema when it's released next week. Because I'm a true fan of cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

enjoyed this movie so much. Reminded me of goodfellas with the rhythm but also absurdly funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Snorting lines of coke off the woman's ass cracks was cinema gold! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

When it comes to Leonardo Dicaprio I have no willpower whatsoever and so I watched this last night.

Loved it from start to finish, didn't feel the three-hour runtime at all. Excellent performances all around, even though I'm biased I can now say this is one of my favourite Leo performances ever. Thought he was fantastic in the role of Jordan. Also loved the performances of some of the minor characters, in particular McConahey (sp) and Belfort's father who was superb anytime he was on screen.

Can't wait to see it again next weekend on the big screen. Have a feeling I'll be seeing it more than once in the cinema, as long as I can find a babysitter.

Forgot to add Margot Robbie as Naomi was absolutely excellent. I can't do spoilers so I'll just say there were a few key scenes with her that just blew me away. A far cry from Donna in Ramsey Street by all accounts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

Absolutely loved it and, even at 3 hours long, can't see it again soon enough. The
    cerebral palsy phase
    scene was the most I've ever laughed in a cinema.

DiCaprio was outstanding, Hill about what you would expect (he actually lends to the comedy very well) and McConaghy was excellent - pity we don't see more of him. Morgot Robbie was excellent as well... and very easy on the eye. *ahem*

I really don't have any criticisms aside from the running time which could have easily been cut by 30 minutes or so to avoid the story dragging on so much. But what's there is so watchable, it's only a minor criticism.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Di Caprio was excellent in this movie,his movie CV is one of the best out there in the last 20 years,he's had the odd blip with poor movies(Shutter Island,Gatsby) but generally I find his movies very good.
    Surprised he hasn't got an oscar yet in his career.

Shutter Island was fantastic movie. One of my favourites of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

mystic86 wrote: »
    Could someone who has seen this please help me out, just want some clarification:
    Is it Aerotyne or is it Aerotyne? :p

So my real question: Donnie passes Jordan's note (informing him of the fact that he is tapped) on to the FBI right?
    That's why the FBI arrived in Jordan's house and showed him the note and said he was going to Jail... right?

But then, I thought that meant his plead deal was off the table, because he tried to tell Donnie... yet he still got the plead deal.. can somebody explain what happened there?

Was it the case the original plead deal included no Jail time, but after the note he was still allowed a plea deal that included Jail time? I'm surprised they would still work with him after trying to go against the first plea deal by telling Donnie...

Also, after the FBI show the note to Jordan we see Donnie furiously deleting files on the computer, while files in the office are being shredded.. why didn't he do all this BEFORE he handed in the note to the FBI?!

And how come there seemed to be no affect whatsoever on Donnie and Jordan's friendship after this? I mean I don't think it went out of its way to show them getting along the exact same or anything it's just that I thought it would have affected it somewhat...

Thanks for reading..

so, ammmm... could anyone offer an opinion on the above please, it got lost in the debate above... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Great film, the first hour is brilliant. and as for "Donna" from neighbours, F*** that is a definite 180 deg change from her good girl image :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just finished watching it with the misses. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt like a blue collar goodfellas if I'm honest...but that's jot a bad thing.

A film truely about excess with some hilarious comedy moments. Didnt feel the serious stuff hit home. The inevitable downfall didn't hit home at all...but possibly cause I knew about the character already and what happened. But it Didnt have any value and the last part of the film definitely tittered away for me.

Really good film with another excellent performance by Di Caprio who as my misses said "People are only going to really thinks he's amazing once he's gone ". Feels like he doesn't get the freak raving he deserves.

Also the "piracy" debate over the last few pages is lols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched it last night too with the oh. She thought it was fantastic but I merely enjoyed it. Some funny moments and the 3 hours flew by. I liked Jonah Hills turn in this, was also fun to see Shane from The Walking Dead in a pretty big supporting role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alright, there's already been two mods warnings: stop discussing pirated material. If you watched the film that way, fine, whatever, your choice. But you can easily discuss the film without mentioning it. Please do.

Boasting or admitting to illegal downloading is against the forum charter, and we're not changing that rule - we tolerated it briefly because of that debate, but we can't anymore as it's lending the thread an unpleasant tone. Also, I'm sure you're all aware admitting to downloading an illegal version on a public message board probably isn't the best idea. So let's end it here, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

really enjoyed this. i didn't think it long but herself was getting a bit restless so maybe a slightly shorter cut would've been better for that. belfords old man mad max was hysterical, mcconnaughy's character was properly out there loved it!

di caprio really has matured so well and i think he's my favourite actor now (current actors).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jaysus, some sensitive souls on this thread.

For the record I just finished watching this and I enjoyed it. It is too long though imho.

Advertisement