Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was our neutrality during WWII a folly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Seanchai wrote: »
    kentreaper wrote: »
    Churchill was a great man.... Few countries did not award him in some way. Ireland was probably an exception?

Just checking but is this Churchill chap the lad who as Secretary of State for War during the Irish War of Independence proposed the creation of a paramilitary force known as the Auxiliary Division of the RIC, those charming chaps who paid that visit to Croke Park on Bloody Sunday 1920? Is this also the same Winston Churchill who advocated a shoot-to-kill policy against all Irish people who refused to stay in their homes after the curfew the British imposed during martial law in the same war?

It's absolutely shocking that the Irish don't have a national day of commemoration for this great humanitarian who hadn't a racist, imperialist, mass murdering bone in his body.

[SIZE="1"]The above events in Ireland would have occurred within two years of the same Winston Churchill writing that infamous letter advocating the gassing of, and I quote, "barbarous tribes", otherwise known as the Kurds in Iraq. The Kurds were, indeed, subsequently gassed by Britain's RAF.[/SIZE]

Yawn.....

You do enjoy making up your own history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭kentreaper

Seanchai wrote: »
    Just checking but is this Churchill chap .....

Keep reading Wiki, sean

Broad statements

Ok, hard war time decisions were made; RoI is only about 20,000 square miles, not that relevant and neutral

Should neutral countries be consulted in world wars; I think not

But, why so many honours for Churchill from so many countries?

All wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 foxcat

Churchill, born at Blenheim Palace, was like no Irish man ever was.

At the Boer War, he later saw what Hitler was going to do - and was right.

He forced the US into the war...'we shall fight them on the beaches'.....

And saved a very small country (RoI/c20,000 sq. miles) from destruction.

Like Westerham - where he lived - and Westminister, there should be a memorial in Dublin..........

Churchill offered the North if we joined in, then again he offered the French national unity with the UK if they didn't surrender

WHAT RUBBISH?

Any evidence, at all?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

foxcat wrote: »

Like Westerham - where he lived - and Westminister, there should be a memorial in Dublin..........

Jaysus, I thought the Japanese and a couple planes forced the US into the war, wow your a genius!!! He hardly saved Ireland from destruction, the US saved England and therefore Ireland from destruction, and a monument? Sure we would more likely have one of Kate Midletons extremities on Grafton Street beside Molly Malone.

I think he probably would have given us a bit of Tyrone and Derry back if we had joined the effort in 1944, at least the bits the boundary commission said were ours before it got overturned:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yawn.....

What parts did he make up, precisely :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    Yawn.....

What parts did he make up, precisely :confused:

Just the bit about gassing Kurds.

Churchill wrote in support of the air ministry's request to use "lachrymatory gas", or tear gas to you and I. (this was modern technology at the time).

The request was turned down, so not only was gas not used, if it was, it would have been tear gas.

Churchill wrote in support of the air ministry's request to use "lachrymatory gas", or tear gas to you and I. (this was modern technology at the time).

The request was turned down, so not only was gas not used, if it was, it would have been tear gas.

So you're saying that he was'nt in favour of gassing those pesky savages? :confused:

Or he only wanted give them a light gassing that wouldnt kill many?

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Churchill's_1919_War_Office_Memorandum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

churchill was a man of his time........thank god they don't arrive very often....

so were both sides of the irish civil war......irishmen killing irishmen......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So Churchill approved the use of gas? In which case Seanchais statement on that point stands, as do his other statements in the main, even if taken in isolation.

Now this...
    foxcat wrote:
    What has his birthplace got to do with it? "Being born in a stable does not make one a horse" attributed to Wellington but he never actually said it, but apposite in this case.
    Ehhhh you really need to read some history beyond the Sun Book of Hysterical "facts". When was the Boer war? Do you even understand the background to same? I doubt it. In any event, just in case your education was truncated for whatever reason, the Boer war(well technically two wars) was fought and ended before 1902. Hitler was around 12-13 years old by it's end. I'll have what you're smoking Ted.
    Nope as has been pointed out, a bunch of Japanese interrupting a hawaiian luau did that. The US while giving tacit support was very much into keeping a largely hands off approach to the European theatre of war. Again, pick up a kindle.
    My apologies, it seems it's not the Sun's fault for your confusion, but the Daily Mail's. Hell he did live here for a few years when he was a toddler, maye we should claim him as our own? Oh wait... maybe not. Meh looks like the Irish Daily star is about to go kaput so our collective IQ will go up, if even by a smidgeon. Would that the British gutter Press fall to the same end. Ye'd be in a better state if it did.

A decade ago now I was in the Canaries on the piss and fell into conversation with some British squaddies as they were reading the Spanish Sun. Beers were taken and debate, argument and discussion was had as it will. :D These "working class" lads, the cannon fodder for the cynical, below the bullshít they'd been fed were OK and intelligent guys(one exception who was a moron, but the others just patronised him). They were shocked/surprised and interested in equal measure when exposed to other viewpoints. One of those lads I'm still in contact with today. The Irish are all too often trapped and bullshítted by our own slanted history and I thought ours was bad, but jaysus the Brits, especially the English everyday people have it worse, if that's possible.
    Maybe. Well the supermarkets dump tonnes of out of date tomatoes and such a week, so a viable target might be an option alright...

Jesus H fcuking Christ, I've some time for Winston, great orator and historian, brave, but bogged down in self doubt and depression, his "black dog", but that didn't serve to diminish the man, even if I might have grave reservations about his opinions and actions at time. Yes a great statesman who late in life red flagged the Nazi bastards and as a pensioner FFS fought them for his country, while many in his parliament were all too in favour of them and he wasn't a bad painter(though Hitler was better with architectural stuff)... Yea all good, but seriously on your points, get a bloody clue. Going cheap at your nearest library. Avoid the books with too many pictures, as it might serve only to confuse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WHAT RUBBISH?

Any evidence, at all?

:confused:
    http://dfat.gov.au/publications/historical/volume-03/historical-document-03-391.html This proposed Act of Union was made public by the U.K. Govt on 17 June 1940 (see the Times, 18 June 1940, p. 6). The proposal lapsed with the resignation of the Reynaud Govt.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/support/the-churchill-centre/publications/finest-hour-online/833--winston-churchill-a-eamon-de-valera-a-thirty-year-relationship
    After midnight on the morning of 8 December 1941 Churchill sent de Valera a message marked ‘Personal, Private and Secret.’ The contents of which read: ‘Now is your chance. Now or never. “A Nation once again”. Am ready to meet you at any time

Winston Churchill enjoyed a good joke. According to Dennis Kelly, one of Churchill’s former literary assistants, the following was one of his boss’s favorite stories, one that ‘he used to adore telling’: ‘British bomber over Berlin, caught in the searchlights, flak coming up, one engine on fire, rear-gunner wounded, Irish pilot mutters, “Thank God Dev kept us out of this bloody war.”’

Churchill wrote in support of the air ministry's request to use "lachrymatory gas", or tear gas to you and I. (this was modern technology at the time). The request was turned down, so not only was gas not used, if it was, it would have been tear gas.
    So you're saying that he was'nt in favour of gassing those pesky savages? :confused: Or he only wanted give them a light gassing that wouldnt kill many?
    http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Churchill's_1919_War_Office_Memorandum

Seanchai said the British gassed the Kurds, that is not true.

The war office was bombing the Kurds to quell riots, personally I would much rather someone threw tear gas at me than bombed me from an aeroplane.

Seanchai wrote a deliberately misleading statement.

And of course one has to remember that the Poles got very little support when they were invaded.
    And then were royally shafted by winnie after the war despite all the fighting they did for him.

More Roosevelt than Churchill actually. Roosevelt practically traded Poland for Russian agreement to create the UN and have it based in New York.

By the time of the Yalta conference Britain was on its last legs and had nothing to bargain with.

More Roosevelt than Churchill actually. Roosevelt practically traded Poland for Russian agreement to create the UN and have it based in New York.

By the time of the Yalta conference Britain was on its last legs and had nothing to bargain with.

Did winston sign the Yalta agreement? I mean, you're making it sound like britain was just a glorified bystander in the war while the yanks and soviets did all the heavy lifting. Surely that is'nt right? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm referring to 1940.

The whole D-Day thing was 1944.

But you are right in that had the US been as interested as the UK in liberating Poland & Co. then D-Day would have been aimed at supporting the war in Italy with a view to breaking out into Austria and beyond / linking up with Tito / other countries that tried to change sides. By invading France especially when they pulled troops from Italy to go to Southern France they acquiesced in the creation of the Soviet Block.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Did winston sign the Yalta agreement? I mean, you're making it sound like britain was just a glorified bystander in the war while the yanks and soviets did all the heavy lifting. Surely that is'nt right? :confused:

By Yalta, you're pretty much describing the exact state of affairs. Churchill was increasingly marginalised as Roosevelt and Stalin carved up the post-war world. There was very little Britain could do about Poland when there were a couple of million Soviet soldiers occupying the place in 1945. There was also the politically delicate issue that Britain's Soviet allies had already invaded Poland in 1939 as part of shameful Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Made it quite difficult to bring the subject up in polite conversion with Stalin...

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hitler was around 12-13 years old by it's end.

Wibbs, most saw I was typing about Churchill.

Its clear you're not a Mod for history - which you are quick to make up.

But, you might consider adding sarcasm and straying off the point to your brief!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 foxcat

you might consider adding sarcasm and straying off the point to your brief!

Maybe, his sojourn with the brits in the Canaries was the start of it......

:D

dpe wrote: »
    By Yalta, you're pretty much describing the exact state of affairs. Churchill was increasingly marginalised as Roosevelt and Stalin carved up the post-war world. There was very little Britain could do about Poland when there were a couple of million Soviet soldiers occupying the place in 1945. There was also the politically delicate issue that Britain's Soviet allies had already invaded Poland in 1939 as part of shameful Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Made it quite difficult to bring the subject up in polite conversion with Stalin...

By the time of Yalta the cold war was starting to take shape.

Roosevelt wanted all US troops back in the states, Churchill wanted them to stay in Europe. Without them there was nothing to stop Stalin marching all the way to the Atlantic.

Roosevelt want stupid, he knew Poland was a lost cause and made the moat of an irretrievable situation. Churchill was more passionate, but had nothing to bargain with.

Poland went a long way to costing Churchill his job. There was a lot of anger in Britain about giving them up, it was, after all, why Britain went to war in the first place.

By the time of Yalta the cold war was starting to take shape.

Roosevelt wanted all US troops back in the states, Churchill wanted them to stay in Europe. Without them there was nothing to stop Stalin marching all the way to the Atlantic.

Roosevelt want stupid, he knew Poland was a lost cause and made the moat of an irretrievable situation. Churchill was more passionate, but had nothing to bargain with.

Poland went a long way to costing Churchill his job. There was a lot of anger in Britain about giving them up, it was, after all, why Britain went to war in the first place.

Except Britain didn't really go to war for Poland back in 39 did they? Dropped a few leaflets on the Germans telling them what swine they were and called it a day. With allies like that you're better off neutral :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Except Britain didn't really go to war for Poland back in 39 did they? Dropped a few leaflets on the Germans telling them what swine they were and called it a day. With allies like that you're better off neutral :P

I think the main problem was that "rapid deployment" doesn't seem to have been heard of in those days, and the British just didn't have the logistical set-up to get them on the ground in Poland at short notice, so they trickled into France instead.

If they did manage to get into Poland, I think that both the Russians and the Germans would have minced them up between them.

Well, thanks for that bit of strategic insight. Proper Von Clausewitz you are aren't you? Try looking at a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well, thanks for that bit of strategic insight. Proper Von Clausewitz you are aren't you? Try looking at a map.

Don't be such a menie.

For anyone interested, check out RAF Squadron 303. Consisted of Polish pilots. Amazing story with one of the best kill records in the RAF.

A British commander said " we (British) wanted to shot down planes, the 303 wanted to kill Germans"

Probably had as much to do with the different training methods and the experience of fighting the luftwaffe that the polish pilots had.

The brits were still messing around with vic formations in 1940, while the poles had already learned that that **** would literally not fly against the luftwaffe.

Probably had as much to do with the different training methods and the experience of fighting the luftwaffe that the polish pilots had.

The brits were still messing around with vic formations in 1940, while the poles had already learned that that **** would literally not fly against the luftwaffe.

The RAF considered it bad form to shoot Luftwaffe pilots who'd bailed out and told the Poles to pack it in, so they took to flying over the top of their parachute to knock the air out instead. Those guys were playing for keeps...

The RAF considered it bad form to shoot Luftwaffe pilots who'd bailed out and told the Poles to pack it in, so they took to flying over the top of their parachute to knock the air out instead. Those guys were playing for keeps...

Granted the poles were sore about losing. There was an incident where a polish flyer shot up a german plane/crew after it had crash landed in Ireland which caused some complaining.

There was an incident where a polish flyer shot up a german plane/crew after it had crash landed in Ireland which caused some complaining.

Nothing wrong with that m8 - the crashed crew could have shot the Pole down.....

Granted the poles were sore about losing. There was an incident where a polish flyer shot up a german plane/crew after it had crash landed in Ireland which caused some complaining.

I guess when you've been on the receiving end of a blitzkreig offensive you get a little bit bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sore about losing? The fact that they saw their county and it's people raped, pillaged and murdered by the millions probably had a lot to do with their bitterness.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that m8 - the crashed crew could have shot the Pole down.....

yes matey there is, he was shooting up a plane that was downed on neutral territory.
    I guess when you've been on the receiving end of a blitzkreig offensive you get a little bit bitter

It wasn't blitzkrieg though. But yes, people who are invaded, murdered and have their cultures suppressed do tend to feel strongly about the matter, and with just reason.

Unless, of course, it's the british empire that's doing the invading/murdering/supression :)

Advertisement