Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEVIN HEADING FOR GERMANY

Options
  • 14-09-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

According to todays Irish Mail Nevin is of to Germany to discuss turning pro with Sauerland he is being accompanied with Brian McKeown to iron out terms
    which may mean him living there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sauerland ? Nevin should go to America or UK if you want to turn pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

how many fighters under 154lb do you see on German TV?

how many fighters under 154lb do you see on German TV?

Very little and their stable of World champions is very weak. This was proven when Abraham went into the Super Six.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

unknown13 wrote: »
    Sauerland ? Nevin should go to America or UK if you want to turn pro.
    Apparntley Germany is a good place to box.Defintley a good place to start maybe Germany will be a stepping stone for better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

mossy95 wrote: »
    Apparntley Germany is a good place to box.Defintley a good place to start maybe Germany will be a stepping stone for better things.

For Nevins sake i hope you are right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

mossy95 wrote: »

Germany is a great place to box, if you are a Cruiserweight!

They do offer good money for fights but like I said above, they dont dig Light middleweights on German TV, let alone Bantams.

Tough choice where to go when you are that weight. Maybe the Bernard Dunne route in the States would be viable. They Yanks love to see a white-Irish guy in there mixing it with all the Latinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Nevin will go to the highest bidder, by all accounts Sauerland are making a shift to concentrate on lower weight classes, Nevin will be one of many acquisitions in the lower weight classes.

Pro deals are hard to come by in the UK, there is not alot of money to be made right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Germany is a great place to box, if you are a Cruiserweight!

They do offer good money for fights but like I said above, they dont dig Light middleweights on German TV, let alone Bantams.

Tough choice where to go when you are that weight. Maybe the Bernard Dunne route in the States would be viable. They Yanks love to see a white-Irish guy in there mixing it with all the Latinos.

In fairness Sauerland has never really tried very hard when it comes to fighters below Welterweight, I'm not sure if that was down to tv reasons or merely his own preference.

Willy Blain did kind of okay for foreign fighter, fighting out of Germany below Welter. His failings were more down to his lack of talent and boring style than his promotional team. Vitali Tajbert was treated relatively well also, and managed to win a version of a World 'title', but then again he is a naturalised German.
    I'd be more concerned with the training he'd receive in Germany than how well Sauerland would do promoting him. The last thing Nevin needs is to become a turtle shell defence kind of fighter.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard an offer coming from France, he was very impressive in his time with Paris United and seemed popular enough.

Nevin went down from what seemed a weak body punch in the olympics ,which makes me feel he will not make it in Germany

barney4001 wrote: »
    Nevin went down from what seemed a weak body punch in the olympics ,which makes me feel he will not make it in Germany

Pretty stupid statement to make considering the punch Hopkins stopped De La Hoya with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Wut. That was a crushing left hook right on the liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

That shot seemed stronger than the one that Ward dropped Gatti with, and far harder than the one Roy Jones crippled Virgil Hill with. I remember watching the replay of the punch after the fight and wondering how the hell Nevin got up because it was an absolute peach, so I really can't agree with your sentiments.

Big Ears wrote: »
    That shot seemed stronger than the one that Ward dropped Gatti with, and far harder than the one Roy Jones crippled Virgil Hill with. I remember watching the replay of the punch after the fight and wondering how the hell Nevin got up because it was an absolute peach, so I really can't agree with your sentiments.

At the time it did not seem a hard punch to me ,though i was not on the recieving end, and it was not hopkins ward or jones who delivered it,just my opinion thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nevin trained and promoted right would make it anywhere in the world. All the tools and the boxing brain is there. There is genuinely no reason at all that he shouldn't at least win a proper world title of some hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I think JJN would be makeing a mistake to go and fight in Germany, the smaller weights over there are not given attention, his best bet i think would be to go to America he could cash in on the Irish American thing, i reckon he could draw some large crowds tbh in Germany unless your at least 160 you don't get much notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

So JJN didn't enter the draft list for the WSB this year....looks fairly significant to me. What do others think?

I believe McGuigan is sniffing around nevin,i see young Conlon has got a place in USA team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I'm thinking maybe the WSB draft was only for new entrants or those looking for a new team. initially I just read the story of the Irish boxers that had put their names forward and presumed that that was the full list. But only 27 or something were picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,702 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At the time it did not seem a hard punch to me ,though i was not on the recieving end, and it was not hopkins ward or jones who delivered it,just my opinion thats all

It was a clean and perfect shot, that landed when JJN was stretching and exposed; and most likely breathing in. It would take a hell of a sculpted body to withstand that type of shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

Seen on Twitter there via Boxing Ireland that JJN has signed for Kahn Promotions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Think that confirmed now:D
    January 19th manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

what a terrible move for nevin , he will get robbed by the khans, they are known to be mad for money and miserable in there offfers to other fighters,

what a terrible move for nevin , he will get robbed by the khans, they are known to be mad for money and miserable in there offfers to other fighters,

I would be surprised if they last long in the promotion business. MEN in their first show, is already a bad sign particularly when Amir isn't on the card. They wont get a GB olympian, if any turn pro because the top promoters such as Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn will be ahead of them and no one will want to follow Joe Murray's path with Hatton promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

I think this is quite a good move for Nevin. Khan promotions should be one of only two promoters on Sky and Nevin should get early exposure to fighting in the states on big cards. Outside of Matchroom all other British promoters have been losing fighters over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Oscar Valdez, the Mexican who Nevin beat in the Olympics has turned pro with: Top Rank. He is going to be a serious pro and hopefully we will see a rematch with Nevin, that would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

unknown13 wrote: »
    Oscar Valdez, the Mexican who Nevin beat in the Olympics has turned pro with: Top Rank. He is going to be a serious pro and hopefully we will see a rematch with Nevin, that would be good.
    No it wouldn't, Valdez would KO JJ. Watch their fight again, Valdez might have been wilder but he had way more power. He was losing the olympic style point scoring but was hurting JJ and had the fight gone on for another round or 2 there would have been a very different outcome. It's one thing picking points for 3 rounds. It's a completely different ball game trying to avoid getting hurt by a big puncher with a furious work rate for 12 rounds and Nevin doesn't have the power to stop Valdez .

According to todays Irish Mail Nevin may be having seconds thoughts about his future no contracts have yet been signed

Contracts still not signed, Nevin in talks with Walsh again and with 60000 euro a year for the top amateurs now i think Nevin will stay for Rio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Daroxtar wrote: »
    No it wouldn't, Valdez would KO JJ. Watch their fight again, Valdez might have been wilder but he had way more power. He was losing the olympic style point scoring but was hurting JJ and had the fight gone on for another round or 2 there would have been a very different outcome. It's one thing picking points for 3 rounds. It's a completely different ball game trying to avoid getting hurt by a big puncher with a furious work rate for 12 rounds and Nevin doesn't have the power to stop Valdez .

And it's another thing having a furious workrate for 12 rounds instead of 3!!
    There are no guarantees in boxing, so while he looks a good prospect you just can't tell yet.

Advertisement