Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement mixer, what type?

Options
  • 14-09-2012 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

What is the best type of cement mixer for the typical farmer? I have a nice bit to do. I don't mean the big pan mixer for laying biggish areas, but mostly block work and general tipping around. Is the teagle a good mixer? Not really interested in the stationary or electric ones. How about the old tip mix? All opinions welcomed. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

What is the best type of cement mixer for the typical farmer? I have a nice bit to do. I don't mean the big pan mixer for laying biggish areas, but mostly block work and general tipping around. Is the teagle a good mixer? Not really interested in the stationary or electric ones. How about the old tip mix? All opinions welcomed. Thanks

The one im about to sell:D:D, its a cavallo i think thats how is spelt

http://atkins.ie/farmmachinery/product_info.php?cPath=62_113&products_id=3048

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I've used an olde one, not sure of the brand, but I'd take a purpose built mixer any time, pull it out when needed, put it away when not, no pulling and dragging to mount it, up and down off a tractor starting and stopping it.

I'm actually resisting the urge to buy one though, they're the type of thing that you'll use in fits and bursts, and then years later pull it out and it wont start, so I hire mine, always starts, always works.

If I was buying one it'd be a belle petrol with the honda engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

We've a Belle electric. Fine Job. Best option if you always have an elect supply where you want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I always find mounting the mixer on/off the tractor a pain and ties up a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the tractor one is fierce handy. I fire in fifty shovels and off i drive to use my bit of concrete to build a pier out the land etc, tip the hydraulic toplink out and concrete where i need it instead of getting wheelbarrows/tractor bucket with concrete all over it and another thing to wash. Its guaranteed to nearly work for life as it has only a pto and cog on the drum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We have an old PTO mixer and I'd agree they're very handy, mix it and drop just where you need it.
    Ours unfortunately, the chain jumped off a worn sprocket and wrung the shaft so it's on the long finger for a repair, can't get a sprocket off the shelf so it needs to be laser cut.
    I'm starting to think its scrap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Its guaranteed to nearly work for life as it has only a pto and cog on the drum.

That's very true, the one we used borrow was 40 years if it was a day, caked in a massive layer of concrete and never gave a moments trouble.

I think the gear ring was in a few pieces too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Don't want to start new thread

How many 4" blocks in a bale?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Does anyone else use a power washer when using the mixer, I find it really handy to help mix by wetting the back of the drum and you can add a little bit of water to stop it sticking. I wouldn't mix without it beside the mixer, great for cleaning it too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

agriman27 wrote: »
    Does anyone else use a power washer when using the mixer, I find it really handy to help mix by wetting the back of the drum and you can add a little bit of water to stop it sticking. I wouldn't mix without it beside the mixer, great for cleaning it too

Handy job for giving shovels, screeds , barrows and everything else a good clean when your finished. Gets the way cleaner than a garden hose and a brush

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

agriman27 wrote: »

You'd definitely want one for cleaning a pan mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

What's the Belle petrol like? I'm not a fan of Chinese engineering or manufacturing. There's a fast tow mixer on the DoneDeal from Cavan. Any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What's the Belle petrol like? I'm not a fan of Chinese engineering or manufacturing. There's a fast tow mixer on the DoneDeal from Cavan. Any info?

I have a belle electrical it is 25+ years old. You just check the oil in the gear box now and again. It is a 220V one I am always sorry I did not look for a 110V one but they were not common when I was buying. The advantage of electric is it will always start, no maintenance and they are completely silent. As well people seldom look to borrow it, if they do they unfortunately come back again even if they can get access to a petrol or diesel one

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

I've no power in the yard so it'll be petrol or diesel. I'm just wary of cheap stuff from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

I've no power in the yard so it'll be petrol or diesel. I'm just wary of cheap stuff from China.
    bought a cheap electric one back maybe in 05 or 06, dont know the brand but no doubt it chinese, anyway its still going, has plenty of jobs done although the stand kinda fell apart, belle are better quality but at a price, this yoke has been very handy for various jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a few belle petrol mixers at work. Very reliable units. Wouldn’t consider anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

annubis wrote: »
    bought a cheap electric one back maybe in 05 or 06, dont know the brand but no doubt it chinese, anyway its still going, has plenty of jobs done although the stand kinda fell apart, belle are better quality but at a price, this yoke has been very handy for various jobs

Electric motors are in general fairly reliable and a standard design. Stand on Belle's fall apart as well. Easy enough to get it redone with box or galv pipe

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have a cavallo pto powered.
    Does the job. Takes more than the little petrol and electric ones as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Anyone have a victor electric one ? any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

red bull wrote: »
    Anyone have a victor electric one ? any good ?

Ya we got one a few years ago ,it wasn't nearly as dear as the belle and I thought it was a bit lighter built but it's going away grand all the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Bullocks wrote: »
    Ya we got one a few years ago ,it wasn't nearly as dear as the belle and I thought it was a bit lighter built but it's going away grand all the same .

Thanks, just wondered what they were like, about €200 cheaper than a Belle but I only need a mixer for small jobs now and again so should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Belle are great in fairness. but the 4 stroke ones feck up if you tip them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Anyone hear of "Budget Building Products" based in Wicklow? They have a website with the Belle Honda variant going for 100 less than everywhere else. The only thing stopping me is I've never heard of them so not sure if I should just go for the local supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Can anyone recommend a decent cement mixer for light work bits and bobs around a farm?

Any good?

https://ige.ie/electric-cement-mixer-with-stand-110v/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

I don’t know about the pacini but if it’s a budget one the Jefferson one does what it’s supposed to and lasts ok as I know of a stone mason who has one and is going strong this good few years.

the belle is the pick of them for odds and ends but they have got expensive if your only using it the odd time but they do last well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I got the belle 150litre with the honda motor (can be a bit hard to start but will get going eventually). Great for lobbing into the transport box and taking anywhere you need it. I paid about 850€ for it 3 years ago, not sure what they are going for now.

Advertisement