Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Life - 24hour Gaming for Charity

Options
  • 12-09-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This year I am participating for the second time in a Charity Event called "Extra Life" which aims to raise money for Childrens Hospitals around the world by having gamers pledge to game for a 24hour period straight.

The Date I will be doing this is 20th October

This year will be my second year doing it and Im hoping to raise the bar for myself a bit on last year where I raised 185USD.

All money raised by myself will go to the Mercy Hospital Kids Fund.

If you feel you might be able to throw a donation of any size my way you could do so via my donation page:

www.extra-life.org/participant/fionn

It might be a cool idea for a few fellow Boardsies to do this also, the main page for the charity is:

www.extra-life.org

Thanks All! Especially Mr. E who kindly allowed me to make this post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

Me and my two friends are doing this too to raise money for Temple Street Children's Hospital. Please check out the our donations page at: www.extra-life.org/participant/TheThreeEejits
    Our goal is €1000! Even if you can't donate, please spread the word! We need all the help we can get to reach our goal.

Our Facebook page is: www.facebook.com/TheThreeEejits
    Please click to like it.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This is quite interesting. I might be interested in getting involved myself. How exactly does it work? Do you do it from home? Is there food/pee breaks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

id donate
    but not seeing you do the 24 hour stream
    kinda makes me think different
    were as most people would stream it for proof ?
    goodluck though
    i wouldnt be able

deathrider wrote: »
    This is quite interesting. I might be interested in getting involved myself. How exactly does it work? Do you do it from home? Is there food/pee breaks?

Basically, you register at http://www.extra-life.org

You're provided with a donations page where people can visit and donate to the cause.

You can do it from wherever you want. Play whatever game you want (can be board games). The main point is that you play for 24 hours and have some reason for people to donate money to you.

Haha yes of course you can eat and use the toilet. They want money raised but aren't trying to torture you. It's all in the name of fun and helping sick children.

saiint wrote: »
    id donate
    goodluck though
    i wouldnt be able

This is a good point.
    We won't be doing a live stream, but we will periodically provide pictures on our Facebook page throughout the 24 hours.
    Some people in the US are doing a live feed though.

• Advertisement

Jaych1000 wrote: »
    Basically, you register at http://www.extra-life.org

You're provided with a donations page where people can visit and donate to the cause.

You can do it from wherever you want. Play whatever game you want (can be board games). The main point is that you play for 24 hours and have some reason for people to donate money to you.

Haha yes of course you can eat and use the toilet. They want money raised but aren't trying to torture you. It's all in the name of fun and helping sick children.

Sounds good. Your own chocie of games too? For example, if I get bored with a 6hour stretch of Mortal Komabt, I could throw on a spot of Peggle to lighten the mood? Or jump from Xbox to DS and back?

deathrider wrote: »
    Sounds good. Your own chocie of games too? For example, if I get bored with a 6hour stretch of Mortal Komabt, I could throw on a spot of Peggle to lighten the mood? Or jump from Xbox to DS and back?

Yep! Absolutely anything!
    Games are games.
    You could play Xbox for a few hours, then play hopscotch if that tickles your fancy :)

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that most people around the world will be starting this at 8am on 20th Oct. It's not mandatory to do this but that's when I think me and my mates will start.

Please, if you decide not to participate, even share the link on your Facebook. The chances are that someone somewhere wants to donate :)

Fantastic stuff, man. The 20th oct falls on a saturday too, which means I wouldn't have to book a day off work. Thanks for the info :)

Exactly! It was planned well.
    If anyone has any other questions, I'll try answer them with what knowledge I have of it.

Here's to hoping we can raise lots for the hospitals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This seems like a tempting reason to play Borderlands 2 for 24 hours.... :P

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    This seems like a tempting reason to play Borderlands 2 for 24 hours.... :P

Given out to by parents... "but it's for charity". Best excuse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hmmm, if I had known about this a little earlier I would of tried to set up a group effort. ten or so in the room streamed with a few cameras. Too late to do that now though :(

Maybe next year. Good luck to everyone doing it though!

Limericks wrote: »
    Hmmm, if I had known about this a little earlier I would of tried to set up a group effort. ten or so in the room streamed with a few cameras. Too late to do that now though :(

Maybe next year. Good luck to everyone doing it though!

A group effort would be a bit of craic.
    I've two friends doing this with me.

Sure spread the word anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

id donate
    goodluck though
    i wouldnt be able

Because you would watch it for 24 hours to make sure you got your moneys worth?

Do your own and i will stream it for you if you raise €500

in HD an all.
    This is a good point.
    We won't be doing a live stream, but we will periodically provide pictures on our Facebook page throughout the 24 hours.
    Some people in the US are doing a live feed though.

www.ustream.com get an android phone connected via wifi and place it behind you for the duration.

Thanks for the link. I didn't really know how to go about setting up a stream until now.

The problem is that we'll be playing Xbox live most likely on two Xboxes and because my friend lives out in the shticks, the bandwidth isn't great. A live stream would probably grind everything else to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thanks for the link. I didn't really know how to go about setting up a stream until now.

The problem is that we'll be playing Xbox live most likely on two Xboxes and because my friend lives out in the shticks, the bandwidth isn't great. A live stream would probably grind everything else to a halt.

10kbs upload on low setting, murder your ping unless you on DSL/Cable but still very possible.

Plenty of time to test it anyway.

This is true.
    We'll have a go and see how everything holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

id donate
    goodluck though
    i wouldnt be able

I have offered on my page to attempt to stream the whole thing if I raise over 300. I will say however I dont see why you would
    1. think people would scam it,
    2. even if they did you are paying money direct to the charity so money would still go to the good cause.

This entirely depends on my connection supporting it.

Only breaks I plan on taking are to go to the kitchen get food and bring it back to the computer, that and toilet breaks.

fionny wrote: »
    id donate
    goodluck though
    i wouldnt be able

I have offered on my page to attempt to stream the whole thing if I raise over 300. I will say however I dont see why you would
    1. think people would scam it,
    2. even if they did you are paying money direct to the charity so money would still go to the good cause.

This entirely depends on my connection supporting it.

Only breaks I plan on taking are to go to the kitchen get food and bring it back to the computer, that and toilet breaks.

Good stuff.

I guess the non Internet donations could be scammed but you'd want to be pretty low to scam a charity.

Even though The money's going to charity, i still think people want to know that they're sponsoring your efforts.

Fair enough, I wouldnt be able to live myself cheating out of it anyway!

• Advertisement

I agree.
    Sure it's going to be a good bit of craic! :)

Sorry, I don't want to be completely hijacking this thread, but it would be great if people could print this poster and stick it up around their office, local shop, college, etc. Cheers :)

TheThreeEejitsPoster_zpsd9d88780.png

Could be going on FM104 now to promote this!

EDIT: The station didn't call me back :(

participant_28892.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Hmmm..

I was thinking of doing this...

..drunk..

..with the odd break to play a football match.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hmmm..

I was thinking of doing this...

..drunk..

..with the odd break to play a football match.

Drunk belt away be tough to stay awake!

Watching Football would hardly count though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I didn't say watching.... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Because you would watch it for 24 hours to make sure you got your moneys worth?

Do your own and i will stream it for you if you raise €500

in HD an all.

www.ustream.com get an android phone connected via wifi and place it behind you for the duration.

i wouldnt watch eh for 24 hours, but over the period of the day id watch it, probably 4-5 hours overall maybe more when it starts getting late
    as well as most people watching it would be from the eu and america so times forwatching it would be able for everyone

sorry if i hurt your feelings pal but your having a go at me for nothing haha
    i dont object to what hes doing, i appreciate it, but as we all know their are low lifes out their that do scam
    why do you think no one gives their creditcard details to charity on streets? because most people know it will more then likly go towards funding the people on the street working for them, cause they dont volunteer they get paid to do it.
    i dont think hes a scammer, but im just saying as well as many others will agree id like to see the stream , gives me something to watch :) and would make the experience more enjoyable for him since people will be able to chat with him whiles he doing it and make others who are doubthful donate.
    i wouldnt do 24 hours
    already said that wouldnt be able, as well as my bills are high enough as is
    any more problems you have with my post? feel free to pick them out ;) cause im in no way accusing him of being a scammer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hmmmmm...I've always been tempted to do something like this. Could be perfect timing (especially as I've recently learned how to do a basic low-grade stream). Might have to give it a bash on the 20th!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Gives me an excuse to game for 24 hours again!

Advertisement