Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM and standard of bike

Options
  • 10-09-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I'm booked up to do IM Austria next year and am wondering if I will lose much time because of my bike.
    This is what I have (2011 version with Mavic Aksium wheels) : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75532
    Nothing amazing

Personally I think that until you can say you have trained as hard as possible and are as fast as you can go physically, then you don’t need to get too caught up on buying fancy bikes. I plan on working hard enough over the winter on the bike and I did a decentish time on the bike in Galway (2.38).

BUT, there is a reason so many people invest in expensive bikes (apart from showing off). I don't really fancy spending 3 grand on another bike considering this one is only about 6 months old and once I have done IMA I will only be focusing on Oly distance races which I think my bike is grand for. I would be willing to get better wheels than the Aksium on it if people were saying this would make a difference.

Long story short, will I be left behind badly over such a long distance with such a basic bike ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    I'm booked up to do IM Austria next year and am wondering if I will lose much time because of my bike.
    This is what I have (2011 version with Mavic Aksium wheels) : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75532
    Nothing amazing

Personally I think that until you can say you have trained as hard as possible and are as fast as you can go physically, then you don’t need to get too caught up on buying fancy bikes. I plan on working hard enough over the winter on the bike and I did a decentish time on the bike in Galway (2.38).

BUT, there is a reason so many people invest in expensive bikes (apart from showing off). I don't really fancy spending 3 grand on another bike considering this one is only about 6 months old and once I have done IMA I will only be focusing on Oly distance races which I think my bike is grand for. I would be willing to get better wheels than the Aksium on it if people were saying this would make a difference.

Long story short, will I be left behind badly over such a long distance with such a basic bike ??

Do you have a good position on that bike with clip ons tri bars?

I was racked in Austria 2010 beside a guy with a Spesh Shiv, with brand new SRMs and fancy zipp wheels. I admired his bike and he was rather arrogant about his bike and biking. As I passed him and ultimately left him for dead on the second lap I turned to him and said "that really is a beautiful looking bike".

Its not about the bike, its about the rider. However if your position on the bike is crap then it does become a factor and it is harder to get a good position for long distance tri on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I have no idea how good or bad my position is (I am having a bit of nerve problem in my lower back since I went up in distance for Galway 70.30 so I'm going to guess not very good).

If I decide that I am sticking with this bike I would probably pay the rip off prices (surely a hundred notes is well over priced) and get the bike set up done properly as well as investing in new wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

No.

The engine is the most important thing. Based on your Galway time, I'd say yours is fine!

You'll pass plenty of people on blinged-out bikes with terrible positions.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    No.

The engine is the most important thing. Based on your Galway time, I'd say yours is fine!

You'll pass plenty of people on blinged-out bikes with terrible positions.

as in terrible position on their actual bike or terrible field positions

I have no idea how good or bad my position is (I am having a bit of nerve problem in my lower back since I went up in distance for Galway 70.30 so I'm going to guess not very good).

If I decide that I am sticking with this bike I would probably pay the rip off prices (surely a hundred notes is well over priced) and get the bike set up done properly as well as investing in new wheels

I going to pull you up on that.

"surely a hundred notes is well over priced".

No, no it is not. You drop how much on a bike and it really all comes down to the position and you think that over a 100 euro is well over priced?

No, no it is not.

If I had a new bike and I wasn't that clued in on positions I would drop 100 euro in a heart beat on it.

That being said it all depends on WHO you give your money too. If his name doesn't start in "FER" and end in "NADO" then yes you are (Possibly "FR" and "ANK" either).

I have done bike fits for people. I have fixed bike fits for people after they have had paid big money for fits from "experts". I am pretty good at it. However I'm thinking of going to Fernado for a bike fit. Not for the position aspect but because I think my cleat positioning can be improved.

You are paying for expertise and training. If someone has it, and its valuable, why wouldn't you pay for it?

*Note - Fernado is the best at tri bike fits without a shadow of a doubt, most shops not have a bit fitting service. It costs and its sh1t usually.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I going to pull you up on that.

"surely a hundred notes is well over priced".

No, no it is not. You drop how much on a bike and it really all comes down to the position and you think that over a 100 euro is well over priced?

No, no it is not.

If I had a new bike and I wasn't that clued in on positions I would drop 100 euro in a heart beat on it.

That being said it all depends on WHO you give your money too. If his name doesn't start in "FER" and end in "NADO" then yes you are (Possibly "FR" and "ANK" either).

I have done bike fits for people. I have fixed bike fits for people after they have had paid big money for fits from "experts". I am pretty good at it. However I'm thinking of going to Fernado for a bike fit. Not for the position aspect but because I think my cleat positioning can be improved.

You are paying for expertise and training. If someone has it, and its valuable, why wouldn't you pay for it?

*Note - Fernado is the best at tri bike fits without a shadow of a doubt, most shops not have a bit fitting service. It costs and its sh1t usually.

okay okay, fair enough

so you'd recommend sticking with what i have and spend money on wheels maybe (thoughts ?) and proper bike fit ?

okay okay, fair enough

so you'd recommend sticking with what i have and spend money on wheels maybe (thoughts ?) and proper bike fit ?

No. I would recommend determining IF you can get a proper fit on the bike. If you cannot then really you need a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'd echo importance of bike fit, but also surprised the benefits of tt vs road bike has not come up.

TT bikes will always allow better aero position and better power generation IMO.

Completely depends on your Goals and Budget really.

Sounds like you will absolutely do just fine on current motor.
    Could you be a few mins faster on TT bike?
    Undoubtedly IMO. Probably around 4 at a guess - assuming you get proper fit and aero and comfortable in that position.

Worth looking into current nerve issue first as its also possible a TT bike/position could worsen that and be counter productive.

No. I would recommend determining IF you can get a proper fit on the bike. If you cannot then really you need a new bike.

aaahh, i see. i didnt realise this was a possible outcome

Fazz wrote: »
    I'd echo importance of bike fit, but also surprised the benefits of tt vs road bike has not come up.

TT bikes will always allow better aero position and better power generation IMO.

Completely depends on your Goals and Budget really.

Sounds like you will absolutely do just fine on current motor.
    Could you be a few mins faster on TT bike?
    Undoubtedly IMO. Probably around 4 at a guess - assuming you get proper fit and aero and comfortable in that position.

Worth looking into current nerve issue first as its also possible a TT bike/position could worsen that and be counter productive.

cheers

A few things - firstly i could probably only go to about 3k (maybe 3.5k), so would i get much of a step up compared to what i have to justify it ?
    5 mins wouldnt be enough for me to justify it it would have to be over ten mins really , but then again its one race we are talking about - as i said i'm happy enough with it for Oly's for now and that will be my focus once i do this. i would potentially look at a step up in bike for the 2014 season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

aaahh, i see. i didnt realise this was a possible outcome

Further to that. If you cannot get a proper fit on your current bike, the fitter will be able to give you the geometry setup of a bike that will be best suited to you. So if you have to go shopping you know exactly which bikes to look at.

A second option on the fit has to be bikefit.ie. Fernando did my first ever bikefit and if I couldn't get to him now I would trust James.

cheers

A few things - firstly i could probably only go to about 3k (maybe 3.5k), so would i get much of a step up compared to what i have to justify it ?
    5 mins wouldnt be enough for me to justify it it would have to be over ten mins really , but then again its one race we are talking about - as i said i'm happy enough with it for Oly's for now and that will be my focus once i do this. i would potentially look at a step up in bike for the 2014 season

Over an IM distance race I suspect a good bit more than 5 minutes. plus the effect on the run of getting the aero position at less of a muscular cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Lads, who is this Fernando you speak of and how can he be found?

Fit4Bike.ie

Now based in Spain (hence reference to Bikefit.ie) but does fitting camps here quite regularily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Fit4Bike.ie

Now based in Spain (hence reference to Bikefit.ie) but does fitting camps here quite regularily.

Thanks for that, it will have to be bikefit so as I don't plan on a trip to Spain anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Nothing amazing

I think currently you can improve as much on stopping binge drinking than getting new wheels ( and you would even save money on alc )
    this is pink but half true from an thread i remember ;-)

so yes you are leaving time on the road at the same time I iam sure if you are really concered about money you have plenty other ways that do not cost you money.
    that could be training serious ( could save you 20-40 min over an Ironman)
    bike fit that could save you also up to 15 min if you get back problems .
    and new wheels and bike that could set you back up to 6000 euro and prob save you up to 20 min
    Ideally you do all three
    andin terem s of importantce
    1 train harder
    2 life more like an athlete
    (payable )
    3 get bike fit
    4 spend on gear .

5 sign up for Podersdorf Irondistance race ( entrace fee 150 euro i think and spend the saved entrance money on a bike fit and wheels )

you are lucky you have the options. as you are defo not maxed out in the way you train (not even talking abut a coach as you seem to to qute a few things right)
    Bella bayliss usually uses non aero wheels and trains harder and her IM Austria pb is 8h 50 .....
    a fair compromise would be 2nd hand mavic cosmic wheels that sell for around 450 euro

peter kern wrote: »
    I think currently you can improve as much on stopping binge drinking than getting new wheels ( and you would even save money on alc )

so yes you are leaving time on the road at the same time I iam sure if you are really concered about money you have plenty other ways that do not cost you money.
    and new wheels and bike that could set you back up to 6000 euro and prob save you up to 20 min
    Ideally you do all three
    1 train harder
    (payable )
    3 get bike fit
    4 spend on gear .

5 sign up for Podersdorf Irondistance race ( entrace fee 150 euro i think and spend the saved entrance money on a bike fit and wheels )

you are lucky you have the options. as you are defo not maxed out in the way you train (not even talking abut a coach as you seem to to qute a few things right)
    Bella bayliss usually uses non aero wheels and trains harder and her IM Austria pb is 8h 50 .....
    a fair compromise would be 2nd hand mavic cosmic wheels that sell for around 450 euro

pretty sure her PB was set in a valid year when PBs (and records) should be counted.

The crazy germans points are very valid, may even print them out for myself as future reminders/motivation. Particularly no 2.

1 train harder
    (payable )
    3 get bike fit
    4 spend on gear .

peter kern wrote: »

Ideally you do all three
    1 train harder
    (payable )
    3 get bike fit
    4 spend on gear .

ha ha, fair play to your memory, yes i did start a thread about drinking, and have cut back on the binge drinking :D.

As i couldnt possibly afford anything above 3.5k, i'm thinking a proper bike fit is the way to go. if i could take 15mins off between hard work and bike fit i'd be delighted

is it difficult enough to pick up a pair of these wheels second hand ?

Strangely enough in a time gone by BC (Before Children) philosophy would have had that advice in approximately the reverse order:

4 train harder
    3 life more like an athlete
    (payable )
    2 get bike fit
    1 spend on gear .

Now the very last thing likely to happen is for me to spend on gear (unless its runners!!). My best season has just gone by using 5 & 6 year old equipment and just training better & smarter. If I continue to improve next year I might invest in a new frame & wheels, maybe.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In Austria this year I saw a lady wheeling a bike with flat pedals into transition. I have no idea how she got on but it proves there will be all kinds of bikes there.

I think above all you need to sort out your back issue. If that flares up with all your long IM training rides youre snookered. So I agree, comfort and an efficient position is better than throwing money at it (unless you have it to spare :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Living in Malaga now but his partner in crime Frank O Connor who does the same fits with the same equipment can be founf in richies bikes in Swords!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Sign up for the hardman iron distance in killarney and save on hotel, flights, car rental etc. Keep your money in the irish economy - race iron distance in ireland!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

coppinger wrote: »
    Sign up for the hardman iron distance in killarney and save on hotel, flights, car rental etc. Keep your money in the irish economy - race iron distance in ireland!

Would it be weird to get an mdot tattoo after doing hardman?

coppinger wrote: »

Hardly comparing apples and oranges?

Like telling your man in Pretty Woman "save your money and do a crack whore, no need to spend the extra cash on Julia Roberts".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The injury prevention aspect has to be a much bigger thing than minutes saved.

Training harder won't fix that, in fact the opposite. If you want to train harder and longer you need to be set up right.

You say you've a sore back - and think €100 is a waste on a bike fit. Go figure.

I'd say 80% of people (or more in all reality) I see riding around are extending their pedal stroke too much (saddle too high, angles all wrong).

Go see Frank imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

It'd be like getting a McDonalds tatoo after eating in Burgerking.........similar but not the same :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

It's weird to get an mdot tattoo at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭Ceepo

MrCreosote wrote: »

It's weird to get an mdot tattoo at any time.

Why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ceepo wrote: »
    Why

Ask yourself this would you get a tattoo of microsoft, mcdonalds or even haribo on your skin?

• Advertisement

Ask yourself this would you get a tattoo of microsoft, mcdonalds or even haribo on your skin?

I have two of the above.

Advertisement