Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I unbaptize myself

Options
  • 09-09-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Is it possible to get my birth certificate back from the catholic church? My friends said to me that you can write a letter to the church and officially renounce your membership with that mad house. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

TTBOMK birth certs record no information about religion.

Baptismal Certs record Birth Cert info, but not the other way round, AFAIK.

http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm

I doubt there is any procedure, or any need, for "renouncing" the Catholic Church. Just forget 'em...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is it possible to get my birth certificate back from the catholic church? My friends said to me that you can write a letter to the church and officially renounce your membership with that mad house. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Yes you can.....

Not so much as getting your birth certificate back but rather having your name taken of the list of "baptised" catholics (not that you had any say in this anyway)

I believe you must go back through the diocese that you were baptised in.

Will try and find a link I saw previously....

Edit: Ehhh I was wrong and right!. You could deregister but they appear to have abolised that - probably something to do with the stampede of disgusted inviduals who no longer wish to associate themselves from the dubious goings on of the CC.

LINK

See also this link for previous methodology (Post #5) LINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Yes, but the churches don't do em

Hold your own de-baptism ceremony.

There's an opening for atheist.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

It was the case that you could defect from the catholic church through countmeout.ie, however the catholic church stopped accepting defections a few years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the church will not remove your name from the baptismal record, nor should they, as it is a historic document.
    you were baptised, and that does not change.

if you do not consider yourself a member of the church, and you do not partake in any of their activities, you are not a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Maybe you could invent your own de-baptism ritual?

As the original ritual involves pouring water over your head, maybe a de-baptism would involve a hair-dryer. Invite a few people round, stand around, get two people to be 'atheist parents' whereby they promise to renounce superstition and uphold reason, blast you with a dryer and bob's your uncle. I'm sure you could hire somebody in a strange outfit to officiate solemnly for not a lot of money - you may even find volunteers here!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wasn't baptised. I had water poured over my head by a man in a dress when I was a baby. I didn't partake in a sacrament dedicated to a non existent deity, and therefore don't regard myself as baptised. However the men in dresses regard it is their own affair. Nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm pretty sure there's a clause in the Irish constitution that prohibits people from forcing you to be part of an organisation.

I would assume that refusing to remove you from such a register would contravene that? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's a clause in the Irish constitution that prohibits people from forcing you to be part of an organisation.

I would assume that refusing to remove you from such a register would contravene that? No?
    The argument would be that the bap-dismal record is simply a record of historical fact. That the head-wetting in fact happened.

The best way to not be a cat-lick, imho, is simply not to be one. And don't bulls1t on the census form. Mark the correct box.

Folks, you're neither a jedi nor a pastafarian.

Although jedi would of course be exceptionally cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 lamesausage

So basically at the moment you can't officially discount yourself from the statistics of the church, which they use to make claims about the amount of Catholics in the country. What an absolute disgrace. I was aware that the countmeout site had been suspended because of recent events, but is there any other way around it? My baptism may be historical fact but whether or not I am considered a catholic by the state, and them is important to me.

What about excommunication?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It would be a simple thing to make a note that you were de-babtised if they want to maintain historical records presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

So basically at the moment you can't officially discount yourself from the statistics of the church, which they use to make claims about the amount of Catholics in the country. What an absolute disgrace. I was aware that the countmeout site had been suspended because of recent events, but is there any other way around it? My baptism may be historical fact but whether or not I am considered a catholic by the state, and them is important to me.

What about excommunication?
    Official church policy is that baptismal records are not used to count the number of Catholics in any country, rather stats from the most recent census are used.

Agree with E above, qualifying yourself as a pastafarian on a census firm might feel like you're sticking it to the man. But a serious statement of your lack of religion is more useful to your cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Short answer "yes" with an if, long answer "no" with a but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

doctoremma wrote: »
    Agree with E above, qualifying yourself as a pastafarian on a census firm might feel like you're sticking it to the man.

Because of the misspelling above I thought "pastafarian" was also a typo.

It was too funny to ignore, so I just had to look it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doctoremma wrote: »
    Agree with E above, qualifying yourself as a pastafarian on a census firm might feel like you're sticking it to the man. But a serious statement of your lack of religion is more useful to your cause.
    plus, it's an offence to lie on the census form.
    however, the census form is confidential, so if they know you're lying, they can't tell anyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Gbear wrote: »
    Possibly. And if so, it's certainly worth a test-case if somebody has a few months to spare.

and several hundred thousand euro. and a thick skin do deal with the derision. and a loose grip on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

robindch wrote: »
    Possibly. And if so, it's certainly worth a test-case if somebody has a few months to spare.

It's a case that would fail.

The Catholic Church doesn't have a membership, it's only a record of an event that took place on a date in the past.

It would be the same as someone taking a case against a preschool to remove their attendance records because that persons attendance took place without their informed consent.

jhegarty wrote: »
    The Catholic Church doesn't have a membership, it's only a record of an event that took place on a date in the past.
    The Vatican disagrees and asserts the existence of a "permanent bond":

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/intrptxt/documents/rc_pc_intrptxt_doc_20060313_actus-formalis_en.html
    Vatican wrote:
    It remains clear, in any event, that the sacramental bond of belonging to the Body of Christ that is the Church, conferred by the baptismal character, is an ontological and permanent bond which is not lost by reason of any act or fact of defection.

• Advertisement

it doesn't matter what the catholic church claims. claiming you are a member is not forcing you to be part of an organisation. your interaction with that organisation will be what determines whether you are a member.

it doesn't matter what the catholic church claims. claiming you are a member is not forcing you to be part of an organisation. your interaction with that organisation will be what determines whether you are a member.

but if a gold club was claiming me as a member, and I was not, would I not have the right to have this claim corrected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

There's got to be something in the fact someone has to recognise the church to unrecognise it.

Jellicoe wrote: »
    but if a gold club was claiming me as a member, and I was not, would I not have the right to have this claim corrected ?
    how would this claim affect you?
    i now claim you are in my 'forever friends' club. this does not involve any financial, personal or physical requirement from you. do you have legal recourse to get me to declare you're no longer in my club?
    the long and the short of it is you were baptised, and that is a historical fact. the church in ireland do not make any further active claim to you being a member; they do not have your contact details, and do not know if you're still alive. they have no members roll.

if you wanted to take them to court to get them to remove you from their organisation, you would have no way of proving you are a member. because you're not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The church claim a supernatural event happened at baptism that they don't control.

A constitutional case would serve only to highlight the absurdity of it, as a Judge cannot force a member of the clergy to undo an imaginary supernatural event - or even to pretend that they could.

Just light a Chinese lantern as a symbol of your freedom or something, and move on. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Just light a Chinese lantern as a symbol of your freedom or something, and move on. :)
    those things drive me mad. pretty littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The church claim a supernatural event happened at baptism that they don't control.

A constitutional case would serve only to highlight the absurdity of it, as a Judge cannot force a member of the clergy to undo an imaginary supernatural event - or even to pretend that they could.

They were doing it until a couple of years ago whats changed?

the church moved the goalposts, basically.

how would this claim affect you?
    i now claim you are in my 'forever friends' club. this does not involve any financial, personal or physical requirement from you. do you have legal recourse to get me to declare you're no longer in my club?

Yes but you're using my falsely claimed membership, without my permission, to endorse your club and give it a better public image than it has. Also if your 'forever friends' club was subsequently shown to be involved in child abuse I doubt you would be too happy that they claim you are also a member without your permission. Why should some not be allowed to have the public record corrected like others did ? This record will be inspected by future generations.

• Advertisement

They're not claiming a supernatural event. On the contrary, they're asserting the existence of an "ontological bond" which is, effectively, a statement concerning the state of some quality of an individual, a state which baptism confers and which is indissoluble within the terms of the church.

Before this went to court, you'd need to check very carefully whether the Vatican asserts that membership of the church is a direct implication of the existence of this "bond" (it probably just suggests it, rather than implies or asserts it). And you'd need to verify exactly what the Constitution says about a citizen's right to repudiate membership, and whether the two understandings of membership and the two understandings of organization are in the same general class.

Legally, and without checking either, I'd say it's a long shot. But if somebody had lots of cash and time to spare, it would certainly be an interesting case to take.

Advertisement