Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Teaching Methodologies.

Options
  • 06-09-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was discussing in another forum about ways of teaching Ord. Level LC English and figured a thread might be a useful place to swap ideas of what works well or not- for any class or level.

Also, I'm just out of the dip and feeling the pressure to give notes, notes, notes and do a lot of the 'chalk and talk' that was so demonized in the teacher training.:confused:

Does anyone have an exercises/ teaching methods they find particularly useful?

Cheers. :)

I'll also contribute any I come across.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

This is a great idea.
    Webenglishteacher is full of great resources for all levels.
    No fear Shakespeare is also great.
    The The Times Educational Supplement is also worth a subscription.
    On twitter, I follow sccenglish, therealgeoffbarton and Bansi Kara. All three constantly provide links to good resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Yeah, the above are great. sccenglish has fantastic podcasts. I downloaded some of them last year and my HL 6th years put them on their phones/MP3 players. I've also downloaded lovely readings of prescribed poems and the same was done with them.

I also use tes.co.uk and teachit.co.uk quite a bit.

I'd like to share something that I think has gone well for me this week. I have a group of highly visual OL 6th years, six of whom told me they've never used quotes in their writing and had no idea use them. The majority of those remaining were using them quite awkwardly/incorrectly (The poet quotes...etc.). Having decided self-assessment would be the most effective way for this group to learn/improve I got them to answer a question on Thomas' 'Do Not Go Gentle...'. When they had finished I showed them a pyramid I had created on word. It had orange at the top with 'POINT' written over it, blue in the remainder with 'EXPLAIN'. It also had green lines randomly amid the blue with arrows moving outside the pyramid to 'QUOTE'. I have a box of bic brite highlighters in my room - an investment, I know - and each pair was given one orange, blue and green and they had to highlight their answers accordingly. They were then able to self-assess based on the pyramid. Nine students only had orange. With the exception of two students the rest had very little blue and were able to see that clearly. I spent yesterday doing little exercises to develop explanations and showing them how to use a quote effectively. First class today they redrafted the same answer. They then repeated the self-assessment/highlighting exercise and everyone had an anwer that reflected the pyramid. I took their copies at the end of class and I'm going to correct both answers over the weekend. I've only glanced at a few, but I can already see some people have moved from F's and E's to C's. I think when they get them back they'll be delighted to see a tangible difference in grades.

I should add that I had two students who were using quotes seemlessly and giving thorough explanations. So I differentiated for them and they spent yesterday and today doing a full poetry exam section. I gave them a page with ten different explanatory verbs as they were using 'This shows...' constantly. On the same sheet they had examples of active and passive sentences. I tasked them with using 2-ish passive sentences per answer. They worked alone at the back of the room and I'm hoping when I correct their work they will have started to vary both their language and their sentence structures.

Everyone will also be given one target for their next piece of writing in their correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

The podcasts are a great idea.

I think setting clear targets is a good idea also. I've been pretty lazy at differentiating so far so must get on it.

The sample answers I've read in the poetry books are sometimes low on quotes - should they always include a quote in their answer?Feeling a bit overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge of the course to be honest! Lots of reading to do...

A good creative writing prompt I came across uses a quote from To Kill A Mockingbird 'You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb into his skin and walk around in it'

Give the students pictures of various people ad ask them to imagine a day in their life etc. It brings Atticus' advice to life and could lead to some interesting discussions.

I would insist on quotes; only one or two, though. The poem will be printed on the exam so they've no excuse. They'll have to answer four questions on the poem and although all four may not call for support, some certainly will. It demonstrates understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Great stuff here.

Quick question...have a fairly uninspired bunch of O level 5th years, and at the moment we are doing Macbeth. They can't seem to get around the text, and I feels it is a barrier for them.

Any alternate teaching methods for teaching Macbeh/Shakespeare for this level?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Great stuff here.

Quick question...have a fairly uninspired bunch of O level 5th years, and at the moment we are doing Macbeth. They can't seem to get around the text, and I feels it is a barrier for them.

Cheers.

Phil Beadle is your friend. I love this guy. http://www.creativeeducation.co.uk/videos/watch-video.aspx?id=27

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Try Lamb's tales from Shakespeare. These are fictionalised versions without being summaries. They are online. There are also shortened versions if you go through webenglishteacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Great stuff for the above, cheers.

I think I might leave off the tennis debate for a while yet, don't think they are ready for that level of engagement yet!

Lamb's Tales look good, less obstructive and obviously wordy than the text, so these might be useful.

Cheers again

Love Phil Beadle! I've used his Punctuation Kung Fu with first years and it's great fun - gets a bit wild at times, but well worth it. It helps stave off the snores during the 'boring' lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

On this topic, I have a weak bunch of 6th Years, and I'm loking for "The Lonesome West" on DVD or audio. Have trawled the web but no joy.

Any advice where to look?

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

How much emphasis should be put on grammar etc? I'm looking at lessons on sentence structure and I really think a lot of it will confuse my first years.

Do others teach about semi colons etc in first year? Or should I keep it basic?

Also a method for teaching poetry I used today: Covering the poem Caged Bird by Maya Angelou. Have done two lessons on it already. Today I asked them to do a think, pair, share and pick the three key words in the poem. After they had done that I asked them to narrow down their choice to two words. Wrote up the results of that on the board and asked if they noticed a pattern ( most groups picked freedom/caged).

Anyway, thought it was a more fun way of getting them thinking instead of me telling them everything. Should I be giving notes on poems in 2nd year?

Doing To Kill A Mockingbird revision with 3rd yrs and they have a week to make an A3 poster based on a specific chapter in the novel. They must include a brief outline of the chapter, images, important quotes, list of characters etc. I'm hoping by the end we'll have a nice wall display showing the timeline of the novel. Again, I found I was doing everything for them and giving notes etc. instead of making them do the work. It'll be interesting to see what they come present next week.

Still struggling to interest my group of O level 6th years... the apathy is a drag. Can't seem to get them motivated!

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How much emphasis should be put on grammar etc? I'm looking at lessons on sentence structure and I really think a lot of it will confuse my first years.

Do others teach about semi colons etc in first year? Or should I keep it basic?

Also a method for teaching poetry I used today: Covering the poem Caged Bird by Maya Angelou. Have done two lessons on it already. Today I asked them to do a think, pair, share and pick the three key words in the poem. After they had done that I asked them to narrow down their choice to two words. Wrote up the results of that on the board and asked if they noticed a pattern ( most groups picked freedom/caged).

Anyway, thought it was a more fun way of getting them thinking instead of me telling them everything. Should I be giving notes on poems in 2nd year?

Doing To Kill A Mockingbird revision with 3rd yrs and they have a week to make an A3 poster based on a specific chapter in the novel. They must include a brief outline of the chapter, images, important quotes, list of characters etc. I'm hoping by the end we'll have a nice wall display showing the timeline of the novel. Again, I found I was doing everything for them and giving notes etc. instead of making them do the work. It'll be interesting to see what they come present next week.

Still struggling to interest my group of O level 6th years... the apathy is a drag. Can't seem to get them motivated!

To be honest, I would tend to avoid full 'lessons' on any aspect of mechanics with junior cycle classes - snooze fest! I usually will spend 5-10 mins a week on one chosen aspect using a piece of text we're working on to model it. I think you need to be clear with them that they need to carry this on in their writing. I've had classes where I've spent 40 mins on commas and they have completed worksheets based on what we've done. However, the attitude to that seems to be 'grand, I've done that worksheet for her, she'll be happy now.' Very few bring it forward in their own work using that approch.

In terms of second year poetry, I do give notes now - loath as I am to do so. It's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid - they'll be marked alongside people who've been given notes that, I believe, are far too advanced for this level and which many don't fully understand. I'm a demon for personal response, though, so I try to use the notes as a kind of consolidation exercise. Understanding and appreciation of poetry is key so that's where the bulk of my time goes. As a side note, I always tell my students about the historical link between music and poetry and have often asked them to analyse the text of a song they enjoy, with an emphasis on looking for patterns.

Um, what's the story with the 6th years? What have ye been working on?

With the first years we've been writing stories and I've been teaching them about speech marks and adjectives and adverbs as we write the stories. I get them to go back through their stories and see where they could have included speech marks etc. Working OK so far. Hard to keep them all on the same level. I'm still pretty crap at differentiation.

6th years are doing poetry, have revised one poem, tackled an unseen and covered a new on this week.

I spent one class reading through notes with them and it was boring but it worked in terms of demystifying the poem - but I read through the notes with them after they had done all the hard work of figuring it out - or as much of it as they could.

So I might take a break from poetry this week and do a comprehension or short composition to keep them interested.

Any ideas?

Yeah, it might be a good idea to move on. My crowd still have some poems to cover, but I think they really need to start galloping in terms of developing their writing skills so I've moved on to English Language. From what I can see they did f**k all language last year. We did diary entries at the end of this week. I gave each individual a sample diary entry for a prisoner (circa. 2005 exam) which we read through. Each pair was then given a list of language devices for the form - past tense, self-reflection etc. and they had to source an example of each device from the diary entry I gave them. They then had to write the prisoner's diary entry for the next day by including each of the devices present in the sample one. By Friday they had three entries and we went through some of them looking for the writing features and consistency of content.

That sounds like a great idea. How do you find pair work? I have all boys and some are very solitary - like to sit alone etc. God love them, I don't know if they're used to working in groups or pairs. I'll try it and see how it goes...

Would a diary entry would be a good start for a weak/reluctant group?

Well if they're weak I think it's a better entry into short compositions as the writing is far more accessible than, say, letters of complaint, reports etc.

Sometimes with older kids they have to be pushed into paired work alright. But speaking and listening skills are important aspects of the syllabus too. I just tell them that I insist they improve all their communication skills - not just literacy.

Hi, having a wee freak out today.

A student moved into my class from another and I just had a look through his copy - full of notes. I know I can't compare myself to a more experienced teacher but really feel the lack of experience with the exam classes and teaching to the exam.

The exams always felt like the elephant in the room during the dip - we all know they dictate teaching but ignored how much. Does that even make sense?

Anyway, prob just feeling a bit overwhelmed and amateurish. It;s a learning curve...

Also I find prezi a fun alternative to powerpoint sometimes. It is a bit time consuming but can really pack a punch visually. It's free to sue for the basics.

http://prezi.com/

I've made a few slide shows which I'll use next year. You can embed pics and videos etc.

Hi, having a wee freak out today.

A student moved into my class from another and I just had a look through his copy - full of notes. I know I can't compare myself to a more experienced teacher but really feel the lack of experience with the exam classes and teaching to the exam.

The exams always felt like the elephant in the room during the dip - we all know they dictate teaching but ignored how much. Does that even make sense?

Anyway, prob just feeling a bit overwhelmed and amateurish. It;s a learning curve...

3rd or 6th year? What level?

3rd or 6th year? What level?

5th year. The student had loads of notes about how the papers work and sample answers, how to go about answering the different questions on the paper etc. He came from higher level into my ordinary level class.

I'm really feeling the lack of experience as regards giving notes.

• Advertisement

Ah, don't stress out about it. There's quite a big difference between higher and ordinary. I still maintain that understanding is the most important thing for ordinary level.

Thanks, just had a wee panic! Back on track now. I need to do some major planning in prep for any Higher groups I might get this year.

Tomorrow, I'm getting my 2nd years to do a freeze frame of a stanza in the poem we're doing. Should be fun... I'm hoping it will help them understand what is happening and how it is portrayed in the poem. It's a break from the notes for one class.

Thanks, just had a wee panic! Back on track now. I need to do some major planning in prep for any Higher groups I might get this year.

Tomorrow, I'm getting my 2nd years to do a freeze frame of a stanza in the poem we're doing. Should be fun... I'm hoping it will help them understand what is happening and how it is portrayed in the poem. It's a break from the notes for one class.

Eh? Are you on a short term contract or do ye switch around?

Eh? Are you on a short term contract or do ye switch around?

I just have a contract for a few weeks which ends in the next two weeks. It's the end of a maternity leave. So will be job hunting again soon. :(

Found two good videos of Dulce et Decorum Est on YouTube.

Have 2nd years last class tomorrow so hopefully this will keep their attention.:eek: They're always a bit bananas last class..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3bhg3O_qE&feature=fvwrel

I think I might show both, the students have to chose which one they think represents the poem best, using the poem as their reference.

The frieze frame was a bit chaotic today but engaging. :rolleyes:

I just have a contract for a few weeks which ends in the next two weeks. It's the end of a maternity leave. So will be job hunting again soon. :(

Boo-urns!

Ya I know. Kinda glad in one way. I can start fresh somewhere else now and not repeat the mistakes I made so far.

My relationship with some classes is not the best. I should have been much stricter from the start - I've taken way too much flak.

I'll know better next time round...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Great stuff here.

Cheers.

Why don't you show them some different adaptations of the play and then ask them how each one dealt with the play differently.

You could have them read a passage, watch it performed in a film version or something, read the No Fear Shakespeare version of it and then have them role-play it in their own words to promote understanding.

@limerickhurl

I have a copy of Livewire Shakespeare, Macbeth published by Hodder and Stoughton. It's a graphic novel of the play with short summaries at the top of each page. I'm not teaching Macbeth now but in future I might use this with a visualizer or project the pages of it. Could something like that work for you?

Is it the language that the class find difficult? Did they do a Shakespeare text for Junior Cert? Maybe revisit parts of that to build confidence and remind them they can read Shakespeare?

• Advertisement

Or the manga version. I find the number of teenagers who are reading manga and watching anime quite uplifting. I'm a serious comic nerd, though.

Heydeldel, it's a great learning curve, though. I was way too soft in my first school and took serious ****e for the year - yes, a whole year! Ughh! I came out determined that it was never gonna happen to me again and it hasn't. You'll come out all the better because of this experience.

Advertisement