Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling off period for Gym membership?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I joined a gym a week ago and have since decided it's not the right one for me (too many kids, don't like the lockers rooms, etc) and wondered if I can just cancel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

It's important to stretch the muscles. A cold shower and then dress warmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Great to see unemployed comedians are keeping themselves busy on Boards.ie ;)

Would prefer to know if I can cancel my membership or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Depends on the type of contract you signed .

Can you link the gym in question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Depends gym by gym, unless you booked it over the phone?

http://corporate.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Gym_contracts_guidelines/jackie_skelly_fitness.html
    A new term is included in relation to consumers' rights under the EU Distance Selling Regulations. This applies to members who join over the phone. Under the Distance Selling Regulations a seven-day cooling off period applies. These members will have access to the terms and conditions by visiting the club's website.

• Advertisement

Christ, their website is less than informative. Also it appears you're doing well to get in there since they don't open until 10th September.

http://www.ifcc.ie/

Only way to find out is to call them. They're a new company mention bad publicity on social media or something if they try to refuse.

As Jarren said, consult your contract. You're not legally due a refund as far as I can tell if you booked in person. If the shoddiness of the website is anything to go by, the contract is unlikely to be bolted down, so see if you can find any shortcomings:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/unfair_terms.html

Thank you for your help.

No prob. I should add that I'm not a lawyer! ;-) Let us know how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Obviously the legal 'cooling off period' is time dependent.
    So notify them immediately and formally. By both registered post and email, which are non repudiable.

But your main bargaining point is that they as a new business don't want to seem threatening or inflexible to potential new customers through bad publicity.

• Advertisement

Did you pay up-front for a certain period, or did you set up a direct debit?

In the gym I use (Aura), I believe it's a case that if you pay up front then you're a member for the year and that's it. No refunds, no putting your membership in someone else's name, etc. but if you set up a direct debit, you can cancel your membership anytime after three months.

Keep in mind that a lot of gyms would make their money from the people who join up at the new year/start of summer/etc. with great optimism and only use the place once or twice before giving up.

Yes, I paid all at once. I am pretty sure this is now my gym for the next year, lol.

Oh well.

It's not that bad really, but there are a lot of kids around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

How young are these kids.

Thought kids weren't allowed in gyms.

There is a lovely big pool there, hence the kids.

I knew that going in, but it was only after experiencing it that I was a bit 'uugh' at all the noise and carry on, but ah, I am sure I will get over it.

I don't want to run the place down, it's actually quite beautiful, the gym is very nice and spacious with all brand new equipment.
    I just had a bit of a jolt as I am not around that many children too often!
    As well as that I chose to pay the fee in full despite having a monthly option as it saved me 70 euros off the price in so doing.
    So: it's a year of workouts and earplugs ahead for me, lol ; )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Amazingfun wrote: »
    There is a lovely big pool there, hence the kids.

I knew that going in, but it was only after experiencing it that I was a bit 'uugh' at all the noise and carry on, but ah, I am sure I will get over it.

I don't want to run the place down, it's actually quite beautiful, the gym is very nice and spacious with all brand new equipment.
    I just had a bit of a jolt as I am not around that many children too often!
    As well as that I chose to pay the fee in full despite having a monthly option as it saved me 70 euros off the price in so doing.
    So: it's a year of workouts and earplugs ahead for me, lol ; )

Truly commendable decision.
    I was disgusted by people's attitudes that you should threathen to run down a small, independent start up because you made a bad decision sickened me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Since the gym and pool doesn't open officially until 10th Sept were you using it during an open day during August? Perhaps the number of kids was related to their summer holidays so once the gym opens officially and the kids are back to school things will improve?

Yes, I was there on the bonus week (but now that the weather has been so FAB I have been cycling outdoors, lol) and I am sure you are right, the amount of kids most likely won't be as high during the coming school-months.

Thanks again to all for the input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Yes, I was there on the bonus week (but now that the weather has been so FAB I have been cycling outdoors, lol) and I am sure you are right, the amount of kids most likely won't be as high during the coming school-months.

Thanks again to all for the input :)

The amount of kids there might have been just the novelty of a new gym.

Either way you are screwed if you payed up front. Just enjoy it.

Im guessing the gym has no children. Just go at times when kids are less likely to be there.

Advertisement