Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop being a degen gambler thread

Options
  • 06-09-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

I am starting this thread because in the past I have had problems with gambling addiciton.
    I am still gambling but no where near as bad or as much as I was so am doing this in the hopes it helps me a bit more.

Feel free to follow and ask any questions.

I will be starting off with a single pound as my starting balance and sticking to a strict 10% stake on any bet.
    If I have 2 bets picked the 10% will be spread about between them etc.

Also I will be doing this purely on Paddy Power as it is easier for me to get money on, which probably wont be happening and easier for me to get money off, hopefully loads of it.

Also as well as doing the usual punting I will also add any freebies into this balance as well, at the moment they offer free bingo each night where you can win small amounts. It is free so it all counts as free money :D

I will end this on 13th december this year my birthday, hopefully with a big profit, the reason for this is that is my birthday and to celebrate I will take the monies and after rubbing it on my titties I will spend it on christmas presents for my family etc.

Hope you all enjoy

Starting Balance (SB) £1.00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Also have a small balance on PPP but that will be kept completely seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Best of luck buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MrQ

The best of luck.

here goes nothing, my 1st bet is

New York Yankees to win 1st half betting in tonights game at Baltimore Orioles

10p at 10/11

for those that dont know the Result is based on the score after 5 innings

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

For those of us who dont know when half time is we definately dont know what an inning is. Good Luck.

The trick to stop being a "degenerate" gambler is to bet small, smaller than 10% I would say, and only bet events where you are fairly sure you have an edge using statistical analysis and experience.

• Advertisement

some people may not have known as baseball wouldnt be a big sport in Ireland imo.

10% i think is alright for now anyway, guess I will always have some degen tendencies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Good luck, will be hoping you do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

HOPE YOU HAVE 200 GRAND BY YOUR B-DAY DUDE :D:D:D

1st bet lost :mad:

so balance now 90p

so next bet is a double, both England 3/10 and Belgium 8/11 to win

0.09 on it.

1 time etc etc :D

winner :D

balance now at £1.01, in profit now and hope to stay there

• Advertisement

have 0.10 on over 8 runs (8 is a push) at evs in the texas at tampa bay game tonight, just close to starting on espn america

And just like that back down to £0.91

next bet is 0.09 on MK Dons at evs

no joy MK Dons were beat 1-0, balance at the moment 82p

next bet is an in running one, its college american football, USC vs Syracuse game

8p on USC -21.5 pts at 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Now this is a serious show of dicipline. Is this a trial for a larger betting bank, basically paper trading?

after 100 bets have you any targets bar be in profit?

How did you decide on flat 10% stakes?

Hopefully if this works well, I will do it again with a larger bankroll etc

Hope to be in profit and to have learned some discipline and better knowledge of some punting.

Thought 10% was a good starting figure rather than throw all my eggs in 1 basket etc.

Also last nights bet lost, 2nd half of the game was delayed by thunder and lightning warnings and changed things up completely from the 1st half.

sticking with american football for todays bet.

A 8p double on New Orleans Saints - 9 pts (evs) and Atlanta Falcons -1 pt (10/13).

Yes I know sticking to my 10% rule it should be a 7p double but the min stake with PP has to be 8p as I have just found out.

got a nice wee boost there from 1 of the free bingo games, I won £1.80 so balance at the moment is £2.46 not including the current bet on.

Looks like New Orleans Saints will be letting that down anyway :mad:

another wee in running bet on the NFL, 25p on Green Bay to win against San Francisco, currently behind 16pts to 7 so they are 6/5. Good price imo, as they are starting to find their feet as san fran lose theirs

• Advertisement

last bet lost :( now for an actual bet before kick off :)

22p on pittsburgh steelers to score over 21.5 pts in the whole game at 5/6

yet again no joy, they only scored 19 pts, any form of a score from them a touchdown or field goal would have got the bet up

under 21's football double for today

Spain 1/5 and Belgium 8/15

20p on it

above bet is winning at the moment and looks good to hold on and win at fulltime.

put 18p there on N Djokovic to win 3-0 against andy murray at 21/10

Under 21's football bet won :)

Murray has my tennis beat :( on with the next one

20p on over 44.5 pts (5/6) in the Bengals and Ravens NFL game, depending how it is looking may do a bet on the game after it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Just a note here, in terms of paper trailing its best to stick to your original €1. You seem to be allowing random bingo wins to skew your stakes. If you are doing this as a proportional log you certainly won't get increased bingo wins proportional to a higher bankroll so the question remains would you be staking 20% of a much bigger bankroll that would include zero or neglegible bingo wins?

the bingo wins are all free money and is added into my bankroll for betting, and it is 10% of whatever it is that I bet.

NFL bet came up last night as well, balance is now at £2.15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

montyrebel wrote: »
    the bingo wins are all free money and is added into my bankroll for betting, and it is 10% of whatever it is that I bet.

NFL bet came up last night as well, balance is now at £2.15

Okay, so i take it this isn't paper trailing then but rather your actual attempt to grow a bankroll from €1. If so then good luck as you will need a phenomenal amount of patience consider the effort to grow that to €10 would be the same as the effort to grow €10 to €100 or €100 to €1000. It's a lot of effort working with a tiny bankroll.

• Advertisement

yes it is an actual attempt, the reason i started so small was to hopefully curb my degen tendencies.

Anyway next bet is 11p on Marked Man in the 2:10 at Worcester, currently at 33/1 and best price guaranteed. It is a course and distance winner and I think it is due another win

Advertisement