Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights for your gig!

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone put any thought into the lights when they play a gig?

My experiences are that venues give little thought into it unless the bands themselves ask. I understand some venues have two settings....on and off... With some places not have lights worth having on.... And of course the engineer does not have the time to be messing with lights etc.

Would you think a proper light show would add to your show or is all about the music?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

i would have to say lighting is a massive advantage if you can afford it! if its just cover band stuff, most pubs dont have a lighting system! and if its original, all you really have to o is look at muse imo! just depends on your aims and finances!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Cheers for the reply.

Well most cover bands would have some element of lights for venues without.

I'm more asking about original bands. Do you see an advantage in having a light show for your gig or is a a sole red LED sufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Cheers for the reply.

Well most cover bands would have some element of lights for venues without.

I'm more asking about original bands. Do you see an advantage in having a light show for your gig or is a a sole red LED sufficient?

get lights. a KAM Power bar will cost around 300/350 second hand and well worth the cash. they also hold their value second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

it could be a personal thing but for me lights make a MASSIVE difference. could make or break some gigs.

if you can, its always worth making the extra effort

Has anyone made the extra effort?

I'm thinking something more than a simple led wash. Moving heads, scanners etc, led effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

can't help you there, but coincidentally i was looking at lights n stuff on Thomann there to see what it would be like to buy a setup.

problem is i dont really know what i'm looking at...

what i decided is that when the time comes I would talk to a lighting expert and basically use him a consultant to find out what I need for my envisaged set up. keep him in the loop until i'd got what i needed. I'd expect to pay for the privilege obviously.

maybe that's what you should do unless you really know what you're looking for?

can't help you there, but coincidentally i was looking at lights n stuff on Thomann there to see what it would be like to buy a setup.

problem is i dont really know what i'm looking at...

what i decided is that when the time comes I would talk to a lighting expert and basically use him a consultant to find out what I need for my envisaged set up. keep him in the loop until i'd got what i needed. I'd expect to pay for the privilege obviously.

maybe that's what you should do unless you really know what you're looking for?

Thanks for that. I've a good understanding of lights. I m just wondering if there are bands(originals) who use them to enhance their own shows.

I suppose most bands would not consider it mainly due to the cost and it's generally the last thing on the list of things to purchase etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

get lights. a KAM Power bar will cost around 300/350 second hand and well worth the cash. they also hold their value second hand

as a matter of interest are you running that sound activated or through a dmx controller?

have you used a foot controller?

just wondering do the lights become very distracting on sound reactive setting?

as a matter of interest are you running that sound activated or through a dmx controller?

have you used a foot controller?

just wondering do the lights become very distracting on sound reactive setting?

Most decent light fixtures that have a mic have a sensitivity feature to allow you to gauge its response to music making it react less.

Or if you wish some light desks have a audio in feature where you can feed in a kick signal to trigger changes or even a electronic drum pad etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Id love to have lighting rig for my band everywhere we play but as people have said due to cost and then transport . Plus in a way id just wanna do the lights myself ha

• Advertisement

Id love to have lighting rig for my band everywhere we play but as people have said due to cost and then transport . Plus in a way id just wanna do the lights myself ha

I had thought cost would be the biggest issue. Are you doing originals? What sort of venues would you be playing? For instance would they have a lights rig?

Advertisement