Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Sailing/Cruising

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

I thought I might start this thread for people to post any stories or accounts or photos they have of any journeys/day sails/cruises they have undertaken. They don't have to be huge trips (as you'll see from mine). I think it could work really well if people contribute, and it could be a bit of fun hearing other people's experiences (I always enjoy it anyway) and maybe learning from them too.

Anyway, I'm gonna post about a trip from the Dublin Bay side of Sutton around Howth Head to Ireland's Eye that I and a few friends went on in dinghies, GP14s to be precise. We went in August this year, just a few weeks ago.

Leaving around half 11 in the morning, we set off, negotiating the sand bank as the tide was quite low. It was about a Force 5 from the southwest so getting down to the Martello and around the "corner" was quite challenging but good craic, and it only took 8 minutes beating from our start point to out into the Bay, the fastest I've ever sailed to there before.

7939525122_8031f5c20f_z.jpg
    I just about saved the camera from this wave, but had to sacrifice my until-then-dry gear!

Once we got round the head and could start to bear away, however, it became much calmer and easy going. We covered the short distance to the Baily Lighthouse easily enough. We even had some company for a while as can be seen straight ahead in this picture. A much more memorable way to see them than from the quays (we were much closer than it would seem from this photo. Disappointed my camera had no zoom)

7889515306_3d48992ea6_z.jpg

We quickly rounded the Baily Lighthouse, and got our first glimpse of Ireland's Eye shortly after.

7939585266_2fc2c0e954_z.jpg

Just as we reached Balscadden Bay (just east of Howth Harbour), however, a strong squall came in from the West, and then North-West. We'd have to beat into Ireland's Eye. Dodging the occasional buoy and more than one fishing boat, we spent 45 minutes covering the same distance we had earlier covered in 8 minutes. Overall the journey there took an hour and 45 minutes. Not bad time imo.

We recovered our boats and lifted them up onto the beach. As we pitched our tents, this was the view:

7889553914_99864c91e1_z.jpg

The night there was great craic. An eerie moment was, around two o'clock in the morning, everyone huddled around the fire, stars and the lights from Howth the only light around, and the radio came to life. We could hear the voice telling us to change to Channel 83 for a gale and small craft warning from Dublin Coast Guard. It was very strange, to be sitting alone on the island in the darkness, only for the radio to suddenly come to life for a moment, and then go as quick as it came. Especially as that forecast was basically what we would be sailing through in a few hours time.

Sailing back the next morning was a lot rougher. We knew the weather was going to turn fairly bad during the day, so set off as early as possible to try and beat it. We didn't.

Just past Howth Harbour, the wind suddenly picked up to a force 6. Not being the heaviest, we really struggled to keep our GP down, and it took 2 hours to get to the Baily Lighthouse. The waves around it were huge (for a dinghy sailor anyway :pac:) and we had at least 4 bow waves completely soak us. Needless to say the automatic bailers were hard at work.

It was a huge relief once we got past the Baily, and after another hour, we were back home at Sutton.

Hopefully some people have a few epic tales or anecdotes, or pictures. Feel free to share whatever you have. This is all I have to offer at the moment, though I mean to add to it a lot in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Your dinghy looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Haha, thank you. I'm quite proud of it, though I haven't had it long.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Today I tried something a bit different, a trip up the Royal canal from Enfield to thomastown well that was the plan :D

20120907_130415.jpg

It looked a bit weedy so I changed the prop to an anti tangle one.

20120907_125530.jpg

Were off.

20120907_131245.jpg

The only boat I met was a barge called Maeve.

20120907_134949.jpg

Like glass.
    20120907_135704.jpg

20120907_140703.jpg

20120907_140733.jpg

20120907_141250.jpg

20120907_141415.jpg

20120907_142633.jpg

20120907_142658.jpg

And this is where my trip came to an end.

20120907_144840.jpg

Pulled into Furey's pub for a bit of lunch "great food" and a pint, got chatting to a few people and do you think I could leave "not a hope"

20120907_144850.jpg

So by the time I got back to the boat it was time to head home, next time I better not stop off.

20120907_164430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Some great photos fergal, your boat looks fantastic as always.

It looks like the canal gets very narrow in places, particularly the 10th photo. Ever any trouble when meeting another boat?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can't beat a wooden deck,but then again you already know that :D
    It is a bit tight in places but the banks are clean and sharp where they are building the new walkway so you can pull in and leave plenty of room, it would be tight enough with two barges but sure they have been doing it for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement