Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Aimr Khan for real!!!

Options
  • 05-09-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Amir Khan says he will return to the ring on December 15, but it won't be against Joan Guzman for the WBA light-welterweight title.
    However, Khan has quashed the speculation, saying Guzman was 'below his level' despite being an undefeated two-weight champion.

"I want someone who is a bit more credible than him," Khan - who has lost his last two fights - told the Manchester Evening News website. I think Khan is away with the fairys :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

FANTAPANTS wrote: »
    Amir Khan says he will return to the ring on December 15, but it won't be against Joan Guzman for the WBA light-welterweight title.
    However, Khan has quashed the speculation, saying Guzman was 'below his level' despite being an undefeated two-weight champion.

"I want someone who is a bit more credible than him," Khan - who has lost his last two fights - told the Manchester Evening News website. I think Khan is away with the fairys :D:D

I have always suspected he was away with the fairies but after reading this

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8053558/Amir-Khan-has-quashed-rumours-of-a-December-return-against-Joan-Guzman

I'm 100% certain he is.

Imagine... If only Manny had a defence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

I wonder are the people in his camp mostly to blame for rail roading these thoughts into his head? The pressure on him and his investors most be immense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i always thought he was a massive idiot.

now besides his lack of grey matter, im beginning to think he's punch drunk to.

for such a young fighter he's taken some heavy shots throughout his career. Im not joking, i worry for the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Guzman is all wrong for Khan right now. He knows this, but hes not going to come out and say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fibrescale

You would think he hadn't lost his last two fights with comments like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Blaming Freddy Roach for not being the best fighter in the world, laughable. It would help if he actually listened to his coach and stuck to the plan rather than doing his own thing and trying to show to everyone he has one of the best chins in the business.
    He talks himself up then gets taken down a few pegs too often, he needs to learn to respect his opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He can respect or disrespect the opposition all he likes. Fact is that his punch resistance just isn't up to taking a heavy shot. I was hoping that it had really improved, and it did show signs, but he is back to square one again. If he is good enough physically respect isn't going to determine his results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

walshb wrote: »
    He can respect or disrespect the opposition all he likes. Fact is that his punch resistance just isn't up to taking a heavy shot. I was hoping that it had really improved, and it did show signs, but he is back to square one again. If he is good enough physically respect isn't going to determine his results.

having a good chin is like having legitimate one punch knockout power,

you either have it, or you dont.

Khan has decent strength, but not one punch knockout power.

but khan has a terrible chin. One of the worst ive seen for such a high profile fighter. Particularly for the smaller weight classes

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Guzman is all wrong for Khan right now. He knows this, but hes not going to come out and say it.

Completely agree. It will be interesting to see who his opponent will be and see how exactly he is more "credible" than Guzman.

Prince Nassem part deux.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

I think Khan is away with the lads on BUTTON MOON taking a few "jiggers". He was smashed in last fight and he still thinks he can mix it with the best pound for pound in the world. He will end up fighting some "GOON" who Khan explained is world class that we have never heard off. Hang up them gloves Khan before you are really hurt mate:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Whats the problem? Boxer talks absolute ****e to the media to sell themselves. Theres a shocker. He does a good job anyway. Every month there's a thread created on these boards keeping his name in the spotlight; no such thing as bad publicity and all that.

Win, lose or draw i'm all for Khan. He gives a good show in the ring and some of his fights and knock downs (him being knocked out) are the stuff of legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

looks like he is punchy

corny wrote: »
    Whats the problem? Boxer talks absolute ****e to the media to sell themselves. Theres a shocker. He does a good job anyway. Every month there's a thread created on these boards keeping his name in the spotlight; no such thing as bad publicity and all that.

Win, lose or draw i'm all for Khan. He gives a good show in the ring and some of his fights and knock downs (him being knocked out) are the stuff of legend.

Yea in the run up to a bout or whatever they might or after having success in the ring, but not a whole lot of boxers come out after getting beaten or knocked out and still talk ****e to the media to sell themselves.

Blaming your trainer also stinks and lacks class and shows Kahn up IMO.

Danye wrote: »
    Yea in the run up to a bout or whatever they might or after having success in the ring, but not a whole lot of boxers come out after getting beaten or knocked out and still talk ****e to the media to sell themselves.

Blaming your trainer also stinks and lacks class and shows Kahn up IMO.

That might all be true but what i'll stick to is there's method in what he does. He might have zero class and he may be an idiot but he says this **** for a reason.

That might all be true but what i'll stick to is there's method in what he does. He might have zero class and he may be an idiot but he says this **** for a reason.

Do you really think there is a method to it? What do you think that method is?

I don't think there is any method to it other than him being a complete idiot really.

Do you really think there is a method to it? What do you think that method is?

I've already said i do. You put it in bold when you responded the first time.
    I don't think there is any method to it other than him being a complete idiot really.

Then we disagree. No harm done.;)

I've already said i do. You put it in bold when you responded the first time.

Then we disagree. No harm done.;)

Haha so I did. Apologies.

We will agree to disagree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

spilt with roach just announced, hope he gets someone who bursts his fantasy of being a top P4P contender

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2012/0915/337682-khan-and-trainer-roach-part-ways/
    So who does he go with now? Maybe his dad and brothers can train him:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Virgil Hunter is apparently the man Khan wants as his new trainer.

Makes 0 sense, he was annoyed at playing second string to Manny under Roach, he'll definitely be playing second string to Ward under Hunter.

But then he's not exactly a genius oul khan is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

Virgil Hunter is apparently the man Khan wants as his new trainer.

Makes 0 sense, he was annoyed at playing second string to Manny under Roach, he'll definitely be playing second string to Ward under Hunter.

I think Khans big problem paying second fiddle to Manny was all the travelling that caused. I don't see Hunter training Ward would be near as much of an issue. Even if their camps over lapped for some fights it should be much easier to manage one on one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Exactly. Quite alot of what he said was very disrespectful to Roach also, he showed marked improvment under him, and would have probably improved further had he listened. I get the feeling Khan doesn't listen very much to anyone but himself talk.

He was trying to draw parallels with himself and Manny's last few fights, slighting the defensive training they had. Manny is not getting KO'd against massive underdogs Amir you tit.

Word also has it he wanted Roach to train him exclusively :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Khan's biggest problem is that he's a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

I'm the exact same thoughts as some of yous that he just needs to listen to Hunter and it'll be an improvement. Although he'll be second fiddle to Ward the Hunter stable isn't as big as others.

I think alot of boxers have trouble listening to their coaches and listen to friends/family. Chavez jnr was doing the exact same at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Its probably not the worst move he could make. Shame he couldn't just move on without speaking about Roach. It keeps him in the U.S. as well, which is important for the bigger fights. Some good fights available to him now to make his way back. I would like to see him have a rematch with Maidana, who has also opted for a new coach recently. He looked well impressive at the weekend.

I really thought he would have opted for someone like Adam Booth in the U.K.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2012/0915/337682-khan-and-trainer-roach-part-ways/
    So who does he go with now? Maybe his dad and brothers can train him:rolleyes:

Nazeem Hamed tried that and look where it got him

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

weemcd wrote: »
    Exactly. Quite alot of what he said was very disrespectful to Roach also, he showed marked improvment under him, and would have probably improved further had he listened. I get the feeling Khan doesn't listen very much to anyone but himself talk.

He was trying to draw parallels with himself and Manny's last few fights, slighting the defensive training they had. Manny is not getting KO'd against massive underdogs Amir you tit.

Word also has it he wanted Roach to train him exclusively :rolleyes:

Completely agree. His biggest issue was that he didnt listen to Roach mid fight. Just did his own thing and got beat by Peterson and ko'd by Garcia.

However much he improves his defense though he is still going to take a massive punch or two at sometime in future fights

Khans worst problem is an inflated ego

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

rebelomar wrote: »
    Completely agree. His biggest issue was that he didnt listen to Roach mid fight. Just did his own thing and got beat by Peterson and ko'd by Garcia.

However much he improves his defense though he is still going to take a massive punch or two at sometime in future fights

This is just it. You can be the best listener in the world, but unless your D is razor tight then you will ship a few clean shots in any fight.

Khan was boxing failry well vs. Garcia. He just got caught clean, and his chin and legs couldn't save him. He then traded a fair bit in the following rd and got stopped. But, he did as well try his best to run, hide, and fight back. It didn't work. He doesn't have the innate skills to slip and duck and dive and slide out of trouble. No amount of listening will change this. It's a mechanical/physical issue!

• Advertisement

I'd like to know how anyone is privy to 1. what Roach told Khan and 2. what Khan did and didn't listen to.

Advertisement