Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options
1245246247248249251»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭phog

The GAA should be encouraged/forced to do the shuttle buses from the new station to the Gaelic Grounds, use the new LNDR from Moyross to the Ennis Rd, bus lane to Ivan's and then use the closed road the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Good idea but as a Clare supporter I don't think the GAA would need to be 'forced' to implement your suggestion. As a community organisation it would be in their interest to do so so 'encourage' would suffice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,048 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What is 11 mins. Is that how long they say the train will take ?

Bus stops all through Moyross so unless you are very lucky it is a walk to the new station and then a walk from Colbert because it is near nothing.

I would say I get that bus from Moyross a lot more than you and honestly nobody thinks the journey is too long. And they have no problem voicing their opinions on that bus.

Tipp and Cork people would be better off walking from town or switching on to the 302/343.

Corpus Christi to PnG is almost as long and has absolutely no amenities between the station and stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I would urge anyone posting here to make a submission to Irish Rail to air your views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What is 11 mins. Is that how long they say the train will take ?

Yes

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/about-us/iarnrod-eireann-projects-and-investments/new-stations/moyross

Bus stops all through Moyross so unless you are very lucky it is a walk to the new station and then a walk from Colbert because it is near nothing.

But from the point of view of hopping on a train or bus to another part of the country the city bus at rush hour is useless

I would say I get that bus from Moyross a lot more than you and honestly nobody thinks the journey is too long. And they have no problem voicing their opinions on that bus.

I used to take the bus to/from town every day when studying in LIT (TUS) and between 8 to 10am and 5 to 7pm the traffic between there and town you'd often be an hour doing that journey. The 302 shares a lot of the road with a bus that would go through moyross

Tipp and Cork people would be better off walking from town or switching on to the 302/343.

Corpus Christi to PnG is almost as long and has absolutely no amenities between the station and stadium.

The railway tracks are linked though. Trains could potentially run from Cork, Thurles, Waterford etc directly to the new station. The matchgoers might be better off but the pedestrian traffic in the city would be much more manageable. With regards to amenities we have the technology these days to cook burgers, make coffees and serve pints from the back of movable trailers so I don't think that will be a huge problem either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You're talking about (I'd wager distant) past experience and ignoring the whole BusConnects plan which starts coming into affect next year. A vastly improved service which gives priority to the buses.

Also only trains from Galway could go directly to Moyross. Anything coming from Limerick Junction would need to enter Colbert and then reverse back out to access the Ennis line. You'd be better off getting off at Colbert and jumping on a bus to get to the Gaelic Grounds, as there is no rush hour traffic on the weekends when these matches would be on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So disappointing that taxpayers money was spent for highly qualified engineers to devise a transportation plan for the city and then elements of it are removed due to a Minister's personal beliefs.

I see on this thread people advocating for the new railway station as it could be used for journeys to UL. The experience of travelling to UL from Moyross would be utterly transformed by the LNDR going ahead. It would be a very doable cycle journey and the new road would surely open up new orbital bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

Thats exactly what I thought, re bus routes and connectivity to UL ,Castletroy ,while taking traffic & heavy goods buses and other commuting out of the areas ,While also giving a more direct access. Corbally road and long pavement need traffic away from them, way too small for what is on them and the bottlenecks !! also would help drive traffic that go through town away with alternative routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I see on this thread people advocating for the new railway station as it could be used for journeys to UL

That's a non-runner right there I think. You'd need a new railway line or spur and a new station to be built in UL, which would be a lot of investment just for the University usage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭adaminho

I think a station in Moyross is an easy start. Plenty of land on an existing line and easy enough to put in a single platform and a small ticket office. Ideally you would love one in Raheen but that involves the finishing of the Foynes line. for Ballysimon the only spot I can think of is the green area in Norwood park which has less population and still leaves you in the middle of a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There’s a big chunk of land at the rear of the parkway shopping centre that could be used for a station,

The Ballysimon station will probably be located closer to Morrison’s pub on a triangle of land close to the N24/M7 junction.

The train lines are only linked at Colbert so you have to pull in and back out which isn't really "linked" like a proper through route.

Moveable trailers are not enough for that amount of people and you can't just reserve pints out of a trailer as you require licencing and confined areas. Good luck setting that up in a field in Moyross.

Check Google Colbert and Moyross are the exact same length of a walk and the city has 2 buses to PnG and Moyross none. As for "pedestrian traffic" you are only moving the problem.

You are basically making passengers sit on a train while it reveres in and out and travels on to a destination the same distance away with no buses, pubs, shops or food/coffee facilities. It's utterly pointless.

And nobody in Moyross has expressed an interest in using that train to get to the city and very few will use it to get to Dublin or Cork because so few will link directly to LJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭LeoD

Cllr Slattery calls for improvements to residential areas by tarmaccing over green spaces to provide more car parking. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/1511724/replace-green-spaces-with-parking-spots-says-councillor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

while my initial thoughts on this is madness ,if it frees up footpaths and doesn't take all green spaces it might not be a bad idea as it seems initially.most estates i've noticed have terribly resticited access and with parking outside houses it erodes it even more

It sounds a bit sensational at first but I know a few estates where the road just needs a small bit of a large section of green area for little widening.

They should have done it outside Corpus Christi in Moyross so the bus can get through during drop off times. Could be done down by the river in Kileely too.

Even better though would be to make a lot of the older estates with no green space one way and let residents have a whole lane to park. You can even use the spaces to make speed reducing chicanes like they do in Europe.

'Tarmacing over green spaces' is a bit sensationalist. She wants to take a small section of large green spaces to provide parking for cars that are currently parked on footpaths. It's also something that residents of those estates are asking for.

And as someone who grew up in Glasgow Park, she's 100% correct about those little squares of grass. They were always too small to be of any use and we used to play either on the road or across the road in the field (which is now a nice paved and lit park with a large flat play area for the kids). And they're never cut by the council and end up being maintained by the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭pigtown

They probably weren't built as such but those squares of grass could be a key surface water drain.

New developments are designed to have as little hard surface as possible to protect against flooding so just tarring over them is not as straightforward as you might expect

Post edited by pigtown on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rather than tarring over all the green areas, I think what they're proposing is widening the roads by a few more feet/meters to allow for parking, give access for bin trucks, fire tenders and other service vehicles.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, but all the houses have gardens, then there's the footpath, then there are tarred areas for parking with the squares of green in between and then the road. It means that some houses have a parking space in front of them and others don't. This leads to a lot of on road parking. In this case tarring over them wouldn't make any difference to drainage. Especially with the massive park between Glasgow Park and Kennedy Park.

Advertisement