Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It will be a white elephant if busses take as long as they do now to get to the city centre from that far out. Improve the bus lanes though and you've got a winner there for sure

Your reference of 3 incidents across 3 different universities over an 18 year period kinda helps my point does it not?

That other poster is best ignored, full of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think the point being that there is nothing to really back up the claim that campus's are "safer "than city streets also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Don't worry, everybody laughs at you, almost constantly with the absolute crap you come out with

If you want to believe that, work away. What ever makes you happy. But the fact that you are (once again) running a one man crusade while every one else on the thread disagrees with you (including someone who lives locally to the development), should tell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Personally, though I might not always agree with Cookiemunster, I find his continual contributions to this forum, most informative. Indeed, without them, it would have little to engage me.

• Advertisement

I don't think that any of us agree with each other all the time Glenomra. And if we did, this would be a very boring place indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pman

It will feather in nicely with the proposed new city development beside UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pman

Very very few if any ghost estates exist today. They were all bought up by venture capitalists and renovated /finished. What you do see are unfinished ône off ' shells of houses here and there in the Irish countryside. These are ghost houses.......the broken dreams of young couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The biggest problem in Limerick now is derelict city centre sites consisting of railed off "bomb sites" or crumbling buildings.

Ghost estates on the edge of town have nowhere near the impact on the city.

In other news......

Construction of the new medical center behind the new Bons Secours is underway and it will be open by Easter 2025. Bons Secours and Alliance Medical Diagnostic Imagining Limited will be leasing the building.

The ground floor of the new medical faciliy will contain outpatient radiology services provided by Bon Secours Diagnostic Imaging, a joint venture between Bon Secours Health System and Alliance Medical Diagnostic Imaging.

This radiology service will include MRI, CT, X-Ray, dexa, ultrasound and for the first time in the region, Pet CT scanning.

The remaining floors will contain outpatient clinical measurement diagnostics in the areas of cardiology, vascular, plus neurology and consultant consulting rooms associated with the new Bon Secours Limerick Hospital.

• Advertisement

That's true but 3 examples over 19 years Vs 2 examples in one day would help the safety argument, would it not?

For the record, I never said they were safe, I said they were safer

For sure, and students who can barely find parking as it is will certainly use it. But if it's to be a P&R to serve the city there's more infrastructure needed. The argument of if I'm going to be stuck in a box in traffic for an hour it might as well be my own box holds here

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I'd agree about the P&R. Any benefit reducing traffic will immediately be replaced by more traffic. Unless there is a broadly unobstructed path for a shuttle service from the parking location people will continue to sit in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Your safety argument is silly. These students, even if they lived on campus, still go to pubs, shops, student races, students Christmas days around town etc. etc., some of them get paralytic drunk, overdose on drugs, get raped or sexually assaulted in their residence regardless of where it is. They get mugged, attacked and beaten on their way too and from pubs and clubs.

The short walk from Mary I to accommodation at Punches is very unlikely to result in any of the incidents I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭LeoD

'Student accommodation' = latest get rich quick scheme for speculators that will leave us with crappy, low quality, high rent accommodation for decades. Would prefer if we built decent quality mixed used housing stock. And housing stock can be homes/buildings in any format.

We don't do crappy low quality accommodation any more and haven't since the Celtic Tiger days. The minimum standards now required these days are much higher than back then.

And student accommodation isn't in any way a get rich scheme. You don't spend €30m to get rich quick.

Over 1000 students were without accommodation at the start of the 2022/23 academic year. And seeing as Mary I won't be going anywhere for decades and have been housing students in hotels, this is a perfect location for student accommodation.

I'd much rather seeing students staying in fully serviced purpose build blocks that sharing a suburban house that a family could be living in.

Deliberately thinking a bit out of the box here so feel free to talk it down... The railway line connecting Limerick-Castleconnell passes fairly near that site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

There's nothing "latest" about it. Student accommodation has been around 50, maybe even 100 years at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Can't understand how anyone would have an issue with a 7 storey development in a central area of a city, who cares if the buildings nearby are only 2 storeys. Do a bit of travelling around European cities and you'll see 6-8 storey buildings are the norm and they make up streets upon streets which results in very nice neighbourhoods with loads of amenities. The fact that we have 2 storey buildings anywhere near a city centre is the issue, and we should be pushing to flip that on its head, not justifying the prevention of building upwards in our centre to prevent further pointless urban sprawl. We're in the worst housing crisis in history of the country and people are acting like this against developments that will house people, and developments that are completely normal and reasonable everywhere else in Europe

Irish people are so parochial and insular, pathetically small minded with no vision of what makes a good, livable city whatsoever. Get with the times and adapt what we already know are superior ways of developing cities from around Europe.

Some people in Limerick have this attitude that areas like Punches Cross are way outside the city centre. If had able bodied people snap at me for suggesting Treaty City or Sexton's are walking distance from Arthur's Quay.

Anything south of Catherine St. or further up than Glentworth St. might as well be the next town over for some.

I can't understand how some people find a 7 storey apartment block beside 2 storey houses looks appealing or in keeping with an area

This argument of "European Cities having these structures so Limerick should" is also questionable. Most European cities have a metro system, should Limerick get one just because Glasgow has one?

In any case the apartment block wasn't thrown out of court due to its height

• Advertisement

The area being a hotel, abandoned school, petrol station and an electricity substation with a very busy road cutting through them.

It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 7 storey anyway because whoever lives in them is gonna get robbed, raped or stabbed walking home.

Oh yeah sure if you completely ignore the 2-storey houses on Rosbrien Road, New Street and Edward Street

It doesn't matter what is applied for because the courts will throw it out on environmental grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭LeoD

Don't do low quality accommodation anymore? Ha. Purpose Built Student Accommodation by definition is lower standard than 'normal' housing (and the government is currently looking to further lower building costs by reducing these standards more because the rents of this accommodation type is too high). These multi-bed shoebox apartments offer much more attractive rent yields to investors which in turns drives up land prices and reduces the attractiveness of building family homes. We then have PBSA's being converted to co-living accommodation through change of use planning applications (this has happened in Limerick) so this is just another one of the many strokes property speculators and developers are able to pull to boost their profits. But keep up the developer PR nonsense for all your like minded pals here.

That was a very quick progress from going to the pub to getting raped. Something you want to admit to?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

What a pointless analogy. The reason I mentioned European cities is because anyone who's bothered to travel around them instead of going on the usual Irish sun holidays to **** beach resort towns in Spain will understand how superior cities with such development are. Instead of having single houses in a city centre, you'd have streets with apartments that house hundreds of people throughout such neighbourhoods, and all of the amenities that can be feasible as a result. It's the norm to have little commercial units on the ground floors so you have bakeries, vegetable shops, barbers, supermarkets etc. all in very walkable areas. If we recognise advancements in ways of doing things in various sectors, we should be trying to adopt those advancements to improve our country, so why is it any different with housing and city planning.

Here's a video giving a demonstration of something along the lines of what we should be aiming to have our city centre and neighbourhoods within walking distance to the centre be like. Limerick would be an infinitely better city if we set a plan for 25-50+ years to develop with this type of thinking towards livability and people in mind.

But have you never been told that ALL Irish people want a house in the suburbs or a Celtic Tiger mansion.

Usually you are being told this by someone in their 50/60s by someone who bought their house for a reasonable price back when we didn't have massive overcrowding of cars on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Would you see any development at all in the city as positive? God forbid if the council were influenced by people like you when building the River point, the Strand, the Savoy, the International Rugby museum or City East. Almost every single high rise devopment in limerick has been a success and has improved it immensely.

Post edited by Jog501 on

Exactly. If anything we should be knocking low density buildings within 2km of the city centre not building more of them.

This is more of it. Spanish holiday destination cities being compared to Limerick. Your argument just went from questionable to laughable. This argument was never about simply the height of buildings, it's about placing them beside smaller buildings

Saw a few minutes of that video. Looks great althouggh at no point does it show 7-storey buildings beside 2-storey ones. At about 6m 30s we see a row of 4 storey buildings beside a much higher building in the background. Do you not think this looks out of place?

Yes because opposing out-of-character buildings is the exact same as opposing every single development in a city. And as a result I should live in the burren, how nice...

I can't believe this is what the forum has become

• Advertisement

It's a 5 to 7 storey building 1.5km from the heart of limerick city, less than 1km from Mary I to replace an abandoned garage.. Sweet jesus you'd swear it was in the Burren!

Advertisement