Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

Vanquished wrote: »
    The new housing project is being built on the former Limerick Clothing factory site. This primary care centre is being developed on the neighbouring site where a disused warehouse currently stands on the grounds of City Campus.

Access to the primary care facility will be from the new housing scheme.

Sounds like the old Shannon Foundry site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

phog wrote: »
    Sounds like the old Shannon Foundry site.

Tis.
    Vanquished wrote: »
    I'd imagine this is the one being built on the old Shannon Foundry site between City Campus and the former Limerick Clothing Factory on Lord Edward Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/208508/Limerick-council-defends-consultation-over-Thomond.html

I think this will be a breeding ground for anti-social behavior , I'm all for investment in st marys park and thomand but I don't see this as being beneficial in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Where is that exactly? Is it if you were sitting outside in Jack Monday's, down to the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Where is that exactly? Is it if you were sitting outside in Jack Monday's, down to the left?

Yes, down at end of Brown's Quay.

• Advertisement

Zero applications in Limerick for Living Cities scheme
    NOT one application has been received in Limerick to reinhabit a Georgian building under the much-lauded Living Cities scheme.

Eighteen applications were received in Dublin, four in Cork, seven in Waterford, two in Kilkenny, two in Galway and none in Limerick, which has been praised as having some of the best Georgian architecture in the country, the Minister for Finance Michael Noonan has outlined in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's not in the least bit surprising.

There's a whole host of reasons why most wealthy or professional people don't want to live in the city centre. Until many of the Georgian streets are turned into family-friendly, quiet, residential places then demand for these buildings will be low. Our streets are ugly and unappealing. There's really poor paving, too many overhead cables, really inappropriate lighting, far too much unnecessary signage. Practically every street is a through-way for cars and other vehicles. This shouldn't be the case we want any kind of residential uptake. Same goes for on-street parking. It really makes our streets very uninviting. Tax breaks are part of the solution, but only a small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Tax breaks were never going to do anything in Limerick. The streets themselves are ugly and have been badly maintained over the years. They badly need to be repaved and cleaned. You have a lack of on street parking in the areas as well. This scheme was also only available if you were willing to live in the house yourself you couldn't rent it out or could you give it to a family member. You also have the risk of spending a lot of money and doing your house to find none of the other houses on the street renovated leaving you living in a lovely house but in a derelict area.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's not in the least bit surprising.

There's a whole host of reasons why most wealthy or professional people don't want to live in the city centre. Until many of the Georgian streets are turned into family-friendly, quiet, residential places then demand for these buildings will be low. Our streets are ugly and unappealing. There's really poor paving, too many overhead cables, really inappropriate lighting, far too much unnecessary signage. Practically every street is a through-way for cars and other vehicles. This shouldn't be the case we want any kind of residential uptake. Same goes for on-street parking. really makes our streets very uninviting. Tax breaks are part of the solution, but only a small part.

I hope I misunderstand this post, do you want the council/government to use tax payers money to redo the streets, lighting, burying cables etc and then give tax breaks so the wealthy can be enticed back into the city.

Perhaps, they're happy where ever they currently reside.

Same goes for on-street parking
    Bored_lad wrote: »
    Tax breaks were never going to do anything in Limerick. The streets themselves are ugly and have been badly maintained over the years. They badly need to be repaved and cleaned. You have a lack of on street parking in the areas as well. This scheme was also only available if you were willing to live in the house yourself you couldn't rent it out or could you give it to a family member. You also have the risk of spending a lot of money and doing your house to find none of the other houses on the street renovated leaving you living in a lovely house but in a derelict area.

Hsve we enough or too little on street parking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

The scheme didnt go far enough.

The scheme required a min spend of 10% to qualify. Refundable over 10 years through a deduction in future income tax. Landlords couldn't qualify.

If you purchased a house worth €250,000 and spent €100,000, you would be entitled to a €10,000 income tax discount out over 10 years.

It's not insignificant. Just not enough for the small % of people who would meet these conditions to decide to avail.

If the income tax was a refund on income tax paid over previous 10 years, the then lump sum into your bank account would be a bigger incentive. Same tax impact.

phog wrote:
    Hsve we enough or too little on street parking?

Too much. The streets are too valuable to be given over to on street parking.

phog wrote:
    I hope I misunderstand this post, do you want the council/government to use tax payers money to redo the streets, lighting, burying cables etc and then give tax breaks so the wealthy can be enticed back into the city.

The whole point of the Living Cities Initiative was redress the demographic imbalance in the city centre. It was to attract some amount of high PAYE earners and self employed individuals to live in the city centre, basically to kick-start some amount of gentrification.

The whole point of the Living Cities Initiative was redress the demographic imbalance in the city centre. It was to attract some amount of high PAYE earners and self employed individuals to live in the city centre, basically to kick-start some amount of gentrification.

So the local authorities/government house the poor and assist the high end PAYE workers along with the wealthy in moving to the city while the low to middle range PAYE workers must make do with where they live and if they want to drive to the city for work, leisure or shopping they'll have to park in the suburbs so the city folk can rear their families.

I find this a bit snobbish to be honest.

So the local authorities/government house the poor and assist the high end PAYE workers along with the wealthy in moving to the city while the low to middle range PAYE workers must make do with where they live and if they want to drive to the city for work, leisure or shopping they'll have to park in the suburbs so the city folk can rear their families.

I find this a bit snobbish to be honest.

Why can't low and middle range PAYE workers live in the city too? They're not precluded from applying for the Living Cities rebate.

Whether there should be on-street parking in the city centre is a different issue. In my opinion it should be phased out and other parking solutions provided. Multi-stories are a far more preferable. But really we have to move towards a situation where we're not as car dependent as we currently are.

Why can't low and middle range PAYE workers live in the city too? They're not precluded from applying for the Living Cities rebate.

Read your own posts, it's you who excluded them. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Figerty

Whether there should be on-street parking in the city centre is a different issue. In my opinion it should be phased out and other parking solutions provided. Multi-stories are a far more preferable. But really we have to move towards a situation where we're not as car dependent as we currently are.

This state is in place since 1922.. it hasn't happened yet, it's not going to happen. It's not car dependancy,, it's the freedom that cars give. Public transport will never beat that. Change the parking rules and people move.
    I lived in Limerick City for 10 years; public transport isn't ever going to beat private transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Just saw this on the Healy Partners website

http://www.healypartners.com/#!THE-CRESCENT-An-Urban-Space/bzoyw/5774e3f30cf2bcae6e43e317

Not a bad idea in my opinion.....any thoughts folks?!

Just saw this on the Healy Partners website

http://www.healypartners.com/#!THE-CRESCENT-An-Urban-Space/bzoyw/5774e3f30cf2bcae6e43e317

Not a bad idea in my opinion.....any thoughts folks?!

Sounds like a good proposal.

It's much less intrusive than what's planned but there's really no need to build anything there. It would also severely impede boating traffic and it could well get washed away in winter! That's a treacherous part of the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

It's much less intrusive than what's planned but there's really no need to build anything there. It would also severely impede boating traffic and it could well get washed away in winter! That's a treacherous part of the river.

The link is for The Crescent at the top of O'Connell Street, not their other information relating to the footbridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The link is for The Crescent at the top of O'Connell Street, not their other information relating to the footbridge :)

Yeah its decent enough

ha!! Assumed it was the footbridge alternative which has been doing the rounds in the last 24 hours!

As for the Crescent proposal, I think it's ok ...

The text says that the traffic would be routed on the southern side, but the images show it on the northern side. Not sure which is best. Depends on whether evening or morning sunshine for the more pedestrianised space is the priority.

Should any traffic be going up here at all though? Limerick needs a total re-working of its traffic system and in that context many of the Georgian streets could be revamped such that traffic doesn't go through them at all (with no impact on traffic flows). Of all the Georgian spaces, the Crescent is the one, above all, that shouldn't have traffic on it.

The bollards are probably removeable, but the latest in urban design wisdom is that removing the segregation between traffic and people creates safer spaces, especially in populated city areas. This is counter-intuitive but there are plenty of excellent examples of where this is being done successfully.

I don't see where the paving material is described, but the colour suggests that it is quite inappropriate for the Crescent. Looks like the stone used on Little Catherine Street and Thomas Street?

It's a fairly unambitious proposal, but kudos to Healy's for throwing it out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Should any traffic be going up here at all though? Limerick needs a total re-working of its traffic system and in that context many of the Georgian streets could be revamped such that traffic doesn't go through them at all (with no impact on traffic flows). Of all the Georgian spaces, the Crescent is the one, above all, that shouldn't have traffic on it.

With no impact on traffic flow? That isn't possible. O'Connell St - The Crescent - O'Connell Ave is one of the main traffic routes in the city. If you take out the middle section you create huge issues elsewhere on the network.

With no impact on traffic flow? That isn't possible. O'Connell St - The Crescent - O'Connell Ave is one of the main traffic routes in the city. If you take out the middle section you create huge issues elsewhere on the network.

Are you a traffic engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Are you ?

From reading the paragraph that Cookiemonster wrote it seems to me he is asking how could you reduce traffic flow and not have it impact somewhere else .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Are you? Or are you just deflecting from an obvious issue with your idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

I would welcome any initiative to revamp the city centre, particularly the Georgian quarter. however I would insist that the Council ensure that any revamp of the Georgian quarter would be in keeping with the historical significance of the area, as it's one hell of a beautiful area when you step back and admire it for what it is. It would be a shame to see it bastardised in an effort to be contemporary.

In other news, I saw today that Café Crust down by the boardwalk has closed down. It's always very sad to see a small business closing in the city but particularly in a lovely part of town that has buckets of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

wigsa100 wrote:
    In other news, I saw today that Café Crust down by the boardwalk has closed down. It's always very sad to see a small business closing in the city but particularly in a lovely part of town that has buckets of potential.

Wouldn't be so sure that it's closed. I, and others on here, often think it's closed down only to find it opened the next day.

Advertisement