Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a gricer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

What's the phrase for eejits like me who are active in preservation circles and actually do work and ****? :D

I suggest 'Boxcar Losty' !!! :D

To me a gricer is the type of 'enthusiast' who rarely if ever actually uses the train but likes to drive the length and breadth of the country to photograph them. There's a fair number on here. :D

One is reminded of the words of the famous poet Milton, which have a resonance in the railway world as part of the world in general.

'They also serve who only stand and wait'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

im a passenger, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Originally Posted by Sligo Quay

Partly right, just be lurking IRN and there is a group calling themselves ''railcar gricers'' Iv given up trying to join IRN, seems to be a very closed board.

Oh good......thats always one to get the shoulder chips working with me.

Its coming up to my third anniversary since they kicked me out. I recall the last e-mail stating:

"We hope to thrive going forward" (Nauseating effing phrase, the kind which makes one wish a good dose of a man whose name sounds like Britvic upon them).

They did'nt thrive, and this board is thriving. Thats a tribute to the many ex members, moderators, and posters here today, not Irishrailwaynews.

Which really should be renamed Norailwaynews.

One thing for certain, I'll never turn down a chance to stick a knife in them for banning me. Just for spite, just for fun. I'd be happy to go back though if they let me. But its their loss. Why should anyone degrade themselves to register with them? They are scared of their own shadows. Its a shame really for a site that had a lot of potential. They almost had it all. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no point in going back Demo. After a lot of trouble and subtefuge, I got on there again (after mysteriously ceasing to be a member about the same time as you). It wasn't worth the efort, its more or less dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Not sure if it's possible to register with IRN at all now. I tried for 6 months without any joy. The postings seem to have slowed to a dribble anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

dermo88 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Sligo Quay

Partly right, just be lurking IRN and there is a group calling themselves ''railcar gricers'' Iv given up trying to join IRN, seems to be a very closed board.

Oh good......thats always one to get the shoulder chips working with me.

Its coming up to my third anniversary since they kicked me out. I recall the last e-mail stating:

"We hope to thrive going forward" (Nauseating effing phrase, the kind which makes one wish a good dose of a man whose name sounds like Britvic upon them).

They did'nt thrive, and this board is thriving. Thats a tribute to the many ex members, moderators, and posters here today, not Irishrailwaynews.

Which really should be renamed Norailwaynews.

One thing for certain, I'll never turn down a chance to stick a knife in them for banning me. Just for spite, just for fun. I'd be happy to go back though if they let me. But its their loss. Why should anyone degrade themselves to register with them? They are scared of their own shadows. Its a shame really for a site that had a lot of potential. They almost had it all. Oh well.

Yes indeed this board is thriving in the same way that the Battle of the Somme was a bit of a larky day out.

It is a pain in the arse when I post anything contra on the main board to the hive mind view that railways other than Dublin - Cork - Belfast and the suburbans should succumb to bus competition, and never, under any circumstances should there be ever any expansion of the network.

A lively thread was killed stone dead by the mods because two regulars didn't like what was being said. Another regular hates trains so much that he leaps onto any thread suggesting train use anywhere pestering the other users to use the bus instead.

On this board motive power dominates. I really don't give a crap about seeing 071 pulling anything. I suppose if the network was reduced to a plinth somewhere where 071 revved up twice weekly the C&T regulars would be delighted with themselves.

The Idyll Race

Yes indeed this board is thriving in the same way that the Battle of the Somme was a bit of a larky day out.

It is a pain in the arse when I post anything contra on the main board to the hive mind view that railways other than Dublin - Cork - Belfast and the suburbans should succumb to bus competition, and never, under any circumstances should there be ever any expansion of the network.

A lively thread was killed stone dead by the mods because two regulars didn't like what was being said. Another regular hates trains so much that he leaps onto any thread suggesting train use anywhere pestering the other users to use the bus instead.

On this board motive power dominates. I really don't give a crap about seeing 071 pulling anything. I suppose if the network was reduced to a plinth somewhere where 071 revved up twice weekly the C&T regulars would be delighted with themselves

1. Ok......lets see. How do I respond to this without swearing or getting banned, because it is a gross exageration of the highest order, and I've 7 years of posts to prove that. So do Corktina, DWCommuter (he was regular once), popebenny, Karsini, and many others.

2. Theres a bunch of people who want to close....blah blah.

That is so sweeping, that is utter hyperbole, I have no polite response to this irrational and emotive statement beyond stunned silence.

3. A lively thread was killed stone dead by the mods because two regulars didn't like what was being said.

You mean the one about Western Railway Corridor?

4. Be more specific about the posters please, give evidence. Something beyond emotive rhetoric and hyperbole.

Thanks.

That is so sweeping, that is utter hyperbole, I have no polite response to this irrational and emotive statement beyond stunned silence.

Sometimes you say it best when you say nothing at all.

This is the internet. Search my posts as The Idyll Race if you really want to, the facility is there.

Ok: Here goes:

I quote from 06.09.2012 at 16.07. The post as follows:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80656329

In the impossible event that anyone ever decided to build a railway through Quigley's Point to Derry I would be delighted, and use it. Can't ever see a situation where I would say "no don't want your naughty infrastructure, please make it impossible to use". Maybe it's just me.

Thats the kind of rural fail-rail type system that won't work. Ennis to Athenry has proven that. Then when that is pointed out, the message is'nt liked, and the messenger gets shot. Sorry, thats reality. I've argued with the extreme rail enthusiasts for over 10 years now on that issue, and counted beans. I've agreed with them on reopening Dublin-Navan (for example), and been flamed for being Pro-pale-rail (example, DART Underground/Interconnector). Well sorry, its about population densities and volumes, and if people don't realise that beyond emotive false arguments, then I have no time for them. Ignorance can be solved, but stupidity is another matter entirely.

And sadly, some of them have appointed themselves as moderators to shoot down the voices of reason. Some of them are here, not that I mind, they are entitled to a voice. Just to give the rest of us in the real world something to laugh at now and again. The craziest of them all was an 'Independent Transport Consultant'. Nice chap by all accounts, but my oh my, when it came to rail transportation he had serious rectal cranial inversion syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I have on occasion been accused of being anti-rail. Well, lets put it on record again...I am pro-rail, BUT in a sensible form that makes sense socially and economically. Building (rebuilding/ keeping open) rural lines just "because they are there" makes no sense at all when that same investment is badly needed on the lines that DO have a chance of survival. If the new Motorway network (which is largely built and involves little ongoing cash going to Farmers) can do the job better and cheaper and without subsidy, then leave it do it.

Rail scores by fast longer distance journeys and with local high-density commuting. Lets put our efforts and investment into that. Lets electrify and extend Dublins Commuter network (which will benefit the whole Country ) and uprate the main lines to higher speeds (particularly Dublin to Cork, where 125 mph running is essential))

Ok: Here goes:

I quote from 06.09.2012 at 16.07. The post as follows:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80656329

In the impossible event that anyone ever decided to build a railway through Quigley's Point to Derry I would be delighted, and use it. Can't ever see a situation where I would say "no don't want your naughty infrastructure, please make it impossible to use". Maybe it's just me.

Thats the kind of rural fail-rail type system that won't work. Ennis to Athenry has proven that. Then when that is pointed out, the message is'nt liked, and the messenger gets shot. Sorry, thats reality. I've argued with the extreme rail enthusiasts for over 10 years now on that issue, and counted beans. I've agreed with them on reopening Dublin-Navan (for example), and been flamed for being Pro-pale-rail (example, DART Underground/Interconnector). Well sorry, its about population densities and volumes, and if people don't realise that beyond emotive false arguments, then I have no time for them. Ignorance can be solved, but stupidity is another matter entirely.

And sadly, some of them have appointed themselves as moderators to shoot down the voices of reason. Some of them are here, not that I mind, they are entitled to a voice. Just to give the rest of us in the real world something to laugh at now and again. The craziest of them all was an 'Independent Transport Consultant'. Nice chap by all accounts, but my oh my, when it came to rail transportation he had serious rectal cranial inversion syndrome.

Yes, that post of mine was an utter disgrace, wasn't it? You may have missed the use of the word Impossible in it though when you speed read it. I don't think that a railway from Greencastle to Derry promoted by the existing Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Company is ever going to happen, though I suppose now that I have even remotely suggested this that a team of supporters will now coalesce around this issue. The Buncrana - Derry line needs to be rebuilt first :D:D

Before you explode, I am being sarcastic here.

I love the phrase "your mileage may vary". It's a much nicer way of saying, "opinions are like rectums, everyone has one". Do ponder that and have a nice day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

'They also serve who only stand and wait'
    I think that quote applys to gricers as well, I spotted that gricer in Connolly again today, I just wouldnd have the patience, don't have that endurance.
    Every thread Iv got involved in since I joined boards.ie has ended in warfare, I don't understand the politics behind all the infighting, maybe Im a late arrival, away at sea too much, I seem to have missed all the action.

The Idyll Race

I love the phrase "your mileage may vary". It's a much nicer way of saying, "opinions are like rectums, everyone has one". Do ponder that and have a nice day

My response, my dear fellow is.....when I defecate, I douche. What do you do sir?

But back on topic after that minor exhibition of bitchiness (sorry, I could'nt resist falling into one of my old habits for a moment) is that rail enthusiasts tend to be a mix of all three in some way, shape or form. Personally I like to go bashing given a chance, and because of an odd kind of memory for numbers, even though they are not written down have a memory of events when they are associated with a rite of passage, such as the first lads holiday away, and being able to afford with my own earned money a run from Waterford to Dublin (074 on the evening Waterford to Dublin in August 1994), 133 and 134 being on the Ammonia at Rathdrum on the day I finished my Leaving Cert Spanish exam (1994), 213 hauling a rake of 13 Mk2d's with 'sticky brakes' on the Monday of the 1995 August Bank Holiday, or even overseas, I'll remember details of engines that sounded impressive. I would'nt be obsessive about it, its just part of the travel experience and a motto, if you like.....getting there is half the fun.

Corktina

I have on occasion been accused of being anti-rail. Well, lets put it on record again...I am pro-rail, BUT in a sensible form that makes sense socially and economically. Building (rebuilding/ keeping open) rural lines just "because they are there" makes no sense at all when that same investment is badly needed on the lines that DO have a chance of survival. If the new Motorway network (which is largely built and involves little ongoing cash going to Farmers) can do the job better and cheaper and without subsidy, then leave it do it.

Rail scores by fast longer distance journeys and with local high-density commuting. Lets put our efforts and investment into that. Lets electrify and extend Dublins Commuter network (which will benefit the whole Country ) and uprate the main lines to higher speeds (particularly Dublin to Cork, where 125 mph running is essential))

Double tracking, electrification, and increasing capacity on core Intercity corridors is one. Using assets such as the Lavistown curve to bypass Kilkenny and have a 'split' at Bagenalstown (One portion of a 22K going to Kilkenny, stopping at Thomastown to Waterford, the second running non stop to Waterford from Bagenalstown is one example of thinking outside the box)

Waterford to Rosslare could not be saved.
    Waterford to Limerick Junction has a chance if track and services are integrated better.
    Limerick-Nenagh-Ballybrophy needs to be retained as a diversionary.
    Galway needs Double track reinstated, as does the Sligo line to Mullingar.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I think that quote applys to gricers as well, I spotted that gricer in Connolly again today, I just wouldnd have the patience, don't have that endurance.
    Every thread Iv got involved in since I joined boards.ie has ended in warfare, I don't understand the politics behind all the infighting, maybe Im a late arrival, away at sea too much, I seem to have missed all the action.

Each to his, or her, own as they say - it seems that 'gricers' do come in for a bit of stick from their fellow rail enthusiasts (hence that quote), some of whom consider themselves to be further up the ferro-equinological food chain and good luck to them. It's all a hobby at the end of the day AFAIAC, whether it be gricing, preservation, railway history, debating/discussing same on boards, or whatever. The threads you refer to, one of which springs readily to mind, are the exception rather than the rule, T&RS is fairly tranquil most of the time (touch wood).

I think the elephant in the room is always going to be the future of Irish railway system / Irish Rail, to my mind the most important preservation issue of them all !!! :)

Advertisement