Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions about Ballyfermot

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm looking for some opinions about Ballyfermot.

I've been offered to live on "Ballyfermot parade" and I haven't heard many nice things about the area... of course, every place has it's good and bad areas like everywhere else in Dublin, but in general, I've heard that it's kind of filthy and not so sure for a girl to walk alone.

I'm not sure of that to do, to be honest.

Thanks in advance!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭emo72

the parade is a nice road in ballyer, very near the shops and buses. the place is a lot more settled down these days. there are worse places and better places, overall its a decent place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I live in Ballyfermot,plenty of decent people in Ballyer but no one can deny that its rough,having said that there are parks, playgrounds, shops, as well as several gyms and a swimming pool . The main Ballyfermot shops are great too, a Tesco, a bakery, clothes shops, a great veggie shop and a butchers people come for miles to buy from. The area is very mixed in terms of single people, young families, teenagers and pensioners,The bus routes are excellent,Ballyfermot parade would be pretty quite as its well settled.Have lived here most of my life so I might be a bit biased

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ballyfermot is fine. We moved there 8 years ago and live further up towards Palmerstown, theres a few undesirables on my road but they largely keep to themselves.

Ballyfermot is perfectly safe for girls. Have often hopped off the last bus at midnight and walked home from the main road. Not a sinner in sight once all the pubs have closed, streets are dead. Also run early in the morning and in the evenings wihtout any trouble.

A couple of scumbags around, like any area. For the most part it is fine I wouldn't worry at all.

About it being 'filthy', some shops are a little rundown looking but the council are always out cleaning up litter. I seriously wouldn't worry, once you close you're front door you're shielded from whatever goes on outside anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Ballyer is great!

Never mind all that rubbish about being unsafe, it is as safe or as unsafe as any other place in Ireland you care to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

stoneill wrote: »
    Ballyer is great!

Never mind all that rubbish about being unsafe, it is as safe or as unsafe as any other place in Ireland you care to mention.

Obviously you are excluding the number of shootings in the last year as well as the attempted murder of Gardaí over Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

How many shootings were there in Ballyfermot last year ?

mattjack wrote: »

A google search reveals 3 seperate ones on the first page alone in 2011. There's been three this year already I think. I think it's fair to say it's not as safe as any other place you could name in Ireland.

MagicSean wrote: »
    A google search reveals 3 seperate ones on the first page alone in 2011. There's been three this year already I think. I think it's fair to say it's not as safe as any other place you could name in Ireland.

If you compare the size of Ballyfermot , to some other area's in Dublin which have had gangland murders in 2011 , Inchicore for example had two murders (pop of about 6000) , but is much smaller in size than Ballyfermot.
    Ballyfermot stretch's from the edges of Palmerstown/Clondalkin up to Bluebell and then across from say Chapelizod up to Walkinstown , that's a very large area,with in excess of 30,000 people living there,never mind the amount of people who work there or pass through it each day.
    Hardly fair to generalise such a large area.

Those places quoted in the media as Ballyfermot are usually not Ballyfermot.

Besides - you only have to worry about being shot if you are a drug dealer or some type of criminal, and the more of them that get shot the better.

Moyross.

• Advertisement

If you compare the size of Ballyfermot , to some other area's in Dublin which have had gangland murders in 2011 , Inchicore for example had two murders (pop of about 6000) , but is much smaller in size than Ballyfermot.
    Ballyfermot stretch's from the edges of Palmerstown/Clondalkin up to Bluebell and then across from say Chapelizod up to Walkinstown , that's a very large area,with in excess of 30,000 people living there,never mind the amount of people who work there or pass through it each day.
    Hardly fair to generalise such a large area.

i wasn't generalising. i was responding to an incorrect generalisation.

Besides - you only have to worry about being shot if you are a drug dealer or some type of criminal, and the more of them that get shot the better.

There's been more than one innocent victim killed in gangland shootings.

3 shootings in Ballyfermot this year? Really? Where?

Edit: Ruby Finnegans. I've heard of one..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ring up Joe Duffy and ask him. He's a man of the peepulll....

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Same thing with Clondalkin. When something happens in 'Clondalkin' and they say gardai in Ronanstown station are investigating, why didn't they say it happened in Ronanstown FFS? If it's got its own cop shop (and plenty to keep it busy :rolleyes:) then it merits its own mention on the news.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

i worked in ballyer for near on a year. i live not too far from it. i feel im in a good position to give an unbiased opinion.

its a ****hole.

and after having countless interactions with the youth in the area (under 15yrs old) i dont have much hope for the future of ballyer either.

if you dont think its a ****hole then you either currently live there, are from there or have lived in an area the same or worse than it

imo

What places would you be posting about ? Would they be cloverhill/elmdale/cherry orchard/croftwood/cedarbrook and the ranch ?Except maybe the ranch which would be open to debate, all the other areas there would be a part of Ballyfermot.And I have never met or heard of anyone from there state different.

So you think drug dealers and criminals getting shot dead on our streets is ok once there murdering each other ? I am sure the numerous innocent people families caught up in these crossfires or mistaken identities would strongly disagree with you as I do.

Syllabus wrote: »
    i worked in ballyer for near on a year. i live not too far from it. i feel im in a good position to give an unbiased opinion.

its a ****hole.

and after having countless interactions with the youth in the area (under 15yrs old) i dont have much hope for the future of ballyer either.

if you dont think its a ****hole then you either currently live there, are from there or have lived in an area the same or worse than it

imo

Go running around Ballyfermot all the time, ocassionally get someone messing running with me but the kids are never anything but friendly. Trust me, there is nothing I likie about being stuck living in Ballyfermot - hate that I live there but it is a fine area to live in. Once you're not a scumbag you will have no hassle. Most people keep to themselves - all walks of life living in places like Ballyfermot these days...

realies wrote: »
    What places would you be posting about ? Would they be cloverhill/elmdale/cherry orchard/croftwood/cedarbrook and the ranch ?Except maybe the ranch which would be open to debate, all the other areas there would be a part of Ballyfermot.And I have never met or heard of anyone from there state different.

So you think drug dealers and criminals getting shot dead on our streets is ok once there murdering each other ? I am sure the numerous innocent people families caught up in these crossfires or mistaken identities would strongly disagree with you as I do.

Cherry Orchard is not Ballyfermot. That's like saying Rathmines and Harolds Cross are the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

What options do you have of other locations except ballyfermot?

If its ballyfermot only then your proposed location is one of the quieter roads and one of the better roads to get located to. just off the main road so as said access to all shops and very regular buses is great to have as well as a selection of pubs to choose from.

I would say 80% of people in ballyfermot are genuine families just getting by like every where else but you will come accross a few dodgy people.

It is a young community and there are a lot of young people but have the craic with them and there really no different to any other teenagers in the Ireland, cheeky, cocky, clever, rude, thats just teenagers.

Like anyothing in this life if you land yourself decent neighbours thats half the battle, unfortunately niether of us can choose this, hopefully you get decent neighbours, will make settling in easier.

Good Luck with the move I hope it works out. :D

• Advertisement

Cherry Orchard is not Ballyfermot. That's like saying Rathmines and Harolds Cross are the same place.

Not like saying that at all, and as I have already stated except for you and I include postal addresses cherry orchard would be a part of ballyfermot.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dublin%20districts&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dublin.ie%2Fneighbourhood%2Flocal-area-map.htm&ei=x1B4UL-BOoaJhQfA54G4CQ&usg=AFQjCNEUyZBomIBD4PhY608Scf3i2Sv6OQ

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

its a ****hole.

imo

Well thank god people base decisions on facts and not opinions like yourself. Ballyfermot is a ****hole and has no future is very harsh. And what were you doing that you had several interactions with youths, because i do not believe you were been picked on by youths several times for no reason. I lived in Ballyfermot for over 20 years and it is no different than most areas in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

imo
    kilograms wrote: »
    Well thank god people base decisions on facts and not opinions like yourself. Ballyfermot is a ****hole and has no future is very harsh. And what were you doing that you had several interactions with youths, because i do not believe you were been picked on by youths several times for no reason. I lived in Ballyfermot for over 20 years and it is no different than most areas in the country.

please refer to my earlier statement.

btw - i was working and the youths were trying to rob from my place of work.
    the reason is that they are scum

imo

Only if you exclude Gallonstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Gallanstown no longer exists, its all Cherry Orchard now. That area has serious problems at the moment and getting worse. There suppose to be a curfew this Halloween at 9pm in Cherry Orchard, the area use to be blocked off for Halloween in the 90s. The place is going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I'm from the country, Athy and I currently live in Ballyfermot and I'd rather live in Ballyfermot than ever live in Athy again.
    OP it's a working class area with it's problems but it's lively enough area with a large population - it incorporates Cherry Orchard within it's boundaries again but the parade is an older area and very well settled.

When you are up in your Ivory Tower and casting a benevolent glance across our land , can you see Ballyfermot from it ?

its a ****hole.

imo

Poor you! Victimised I'd say. Talk to Joe.

When you are up in your Ivory Tower and casting a benevolent glance across our land , can you see Ballyfermot from it ?

I can just look for the smoke from the burning cars.

• Advertisement

Gallanstown no longer exists, its all Cherry Orchard now. That area has serious problems at the moment and getting worse. There suppose to be a curfew this Halloween at 9pm in Cherry Orchard, the area use to be blocked off for Halloween in the 90s. The place is going backwards.

Renaming it didn't really change anything now did it?

Advertisement