Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortune teller/medium

Options
  • 01-09-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hay was just wondering does anyone know a good fortune teller/medium in Naas or Kildare area with good recommendations please :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Spend all the money on drinking and class A drugs instead, talking to yourself in the mirror while completely smashed will give you more answers than they can

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No, but I can do it myself. Give me €40 and I'll tell you all the vague descriptions and flattering platitudes that you like, and I'll even throw in a book on how they make it look like they're contacting the dead through the use of cold reading and shotgun statements.

Alternatively head on over to the Paranormal forum. They'll be happy to give you the contact details for as many frauds mediums as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

carbob wrote: »
    Hay was just wondering does anyone know a good fortune teller/medium in Naas or Kildare area with good recommendations please :D

you'd be best off trying this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1076

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Typical, predictable (excuse the pun) replies from people on this site: someone innocuously asks for information and people come down on them self-righteously like the hammers of hell, preaching about why they think such-and-such is 'wrong' for them.

Did ye ever think that the person might have their own powers of discernment (meaning, they would no doubt be fully aware of frauds, amongst other things), not to mention freedom of choice?

If I see someone requesting info on something that I find daft, then I simply don't reply. I might not like it, but I certainly don't feel the need to reply and, say, suggest that the person ought to take Class A drugs and talk to themselves in a mirror (very mature and respectful).

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree with MrMojoRisin. Just because it's not your thing, doesn't mean it isn't someone elses. So no more "sure it's a waste of money" please.

I'd second Sharrows link if you fail to get better replies here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

There are a few things which I am completely morally opposed to in this world and people who lie to the recently bereaved with false information about their loved ones are up there with the worst of the worst. It's a disgusting thought that just because of freedom of choice you should not protect vulnerable people from exploitation and in a lot of cases extortion. It's sickening that these charlatan's are protected in society.

After reading the charter I think I'm allowed to post this, although it might still count as the "no more waste of money" posts which Wibbs doesn't want, so wibbs, delete this post if it isn't allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I went to a lady called Elaine in Allenwood years ago, I don't have her phone number anymore though. She lived near the canal, nearby a pub over a heap of bridges, if you know the area, that might help.
    I found her good, but to be honest I dont know if thats because I was in a place where I wanted to hear what she was telling me.

There are a few things which I am completely morally opposed to in this world and people who lie to the recently bereaved with false information about their loved ones are up there with the worst of the worst. It's a disgusting thought that just because of freedom of choice you should not protect vulnerable people from exploitation and in a lot of cases extortion. It's sickening that these charlatan's are protected in society.

After reading the charter I think I'm allowed to post this, although it might still count as the "no more waste of money" posts which Wibbs doesn't want, so wibbs, delete this post if it isn't allowed.
    I don't know if I really agree with that, although I understand where you're coming from. I went when I was 18, a couple of months after my mother died. I was a mess, and after going to the medium I felt a lot better. I am not innocent enough to think that she really helped me or anything, but I think what she talked about really helped me to face up to what had happened, or something. I can't really explain it, but regardless or whether or not she was real or phony, it was the best 50 euro I spent and I for one didn't feel exploited. Don't knock what might work for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carbob

Okay okay for one i am not recently bereaved or anything of the sort i really do not mean to sound rude as i am saying this but my money is mine i earned it and shall spend it as i see fit nor am i innocent i have heard a lot of good things about fortune tellers/mediums and would like to experience it for myself.... Thank you for the information on Elaine in allenwood i will see if i can get a contact number for her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭an langer

Google 'cold reading' and read the wikipedia article on it. Also check out derren brown's video. Then you will see how they 'know' so much ;-) No harm in reading before going to one at least :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gina101

Spend all the money on drinking and class A drugs instead, talking to yourself in the mirror while completely smashed will give you more answers than they can
    Hahahhahahabahahahah :)
    That made me giggle.
    Probably right. Would hope someone out there really has a gift though..Would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gina101 wrote: »
    Hahahhahahabahahahah :)
    That made me giggle.
    Probably right. Would hope someone out there really has a gift though..Would be interesting.

If someone seriously had a psychic gift do you think theyd be doing palm readings and the like for a few quid a pop? they'd be world famous. unless they're bound by some moral code, but hey, if mediums had morals they wouldnt be doing what they do would they. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

If it doesn't harm anyone, let people take comfort/interest in whatever they need to

Im going to a medium with the girls the end of this month. I hope he tells me he sees a lot of money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

gara wrote: »
    If it doesn't harm anyone, let people take comfort/interest in whatever they need to

There isn't always no harm.

http://whatstheharm.net/psychics.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

Im going to a medium with the girls the end of this month. I hope he tells me he sees a lot of money. :)

He'll be the one seeing money. Yours. :D

I find it incredible that not one psychic has been able to prove psychic ability yet people are only too willing to listen to them. :confused:

It's Penn and Teller! But it's still makes a valid point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se82D8cqhgk

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gara wrote: »

Uh huh, tell that to the customer i had before who ran up a 20 grand phone bill ringing psychic lines, see it all the time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry did the bold text bit get lost in the mix?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Just because it's not your thing, doesn't mean it isn't someone elses. So no more "sure it's a waste of money" please.
    FINAL warning, if you want to debate psychics go to either the Psychics or Sceptics forums, not here. Back on track please.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think the OP has received all the helpful information they're ever going to get from a thread like this. There was a little bit of a discussion going on could you maybe splice this thread and move it to the Psychics or Skeptics forum or wherever the appropriate section on this discussion board is for such a topic. Maybe the original post could also be moved to the Psychics forum or a Nass / Kildare section as it would be more suited to the very specific information required by the OP

Good call frozenfrozen as it was likely to go around in further circles. Moved a copy of the original post to The Psychics and Mediums forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement