Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any First Years for Multimedia? - Mature and/or Leaving Students

Options
  • 31-08-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys,

I'll be taking Multimedia in DCU as a mature student in September, I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me and would like to get in touch and maybe chat about the course or even meet up during orientation if you're up for it. I'm a bit shy :o so I'm nervous about talking to people and finding my way around for the first few days! I know a good few people enter Multimedia as mature students so I can't be the only one!

This actually goes for everyone though, mature student or not, if you're interested in getting in touch and maybe having someone to chat to for the first day or two. I expect to make friends eventually, I'm just looking for a bit of moral support really, and for anyone else who could do with the same!

Feel free to PM me on here!
    Good luck to everyone starting this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

Hi, I'm also going into first year Multimedia. :) I'm not a mature student, but I did take a year out after my Leaving Cert. I'm kind of relieved to hear that there's someone on my course who is a bit shy like myself! I could definitely do with having someone to talk to during orientation week.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I just finished my final year in Multimedia.
    they've been changing little thing in the course since I was in first year but I'm open to PMs if you have any general questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I heard shocking stories about this course on the Masters! I was going to apply myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Doctorate Denied

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. It's not that long since I was in college so I remember what it's like getting settled, I thought it would be nice to find/give support!

And thanks for replying Noodleworm, it'd be great to have a chat about the course as a whole and get some idea of where it's headed! I was told in my interview that I should expect a few changes because they're restructuring some of the Social Science based courses, but I suppose I'll get a clearer idea of that as time goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Hey guys, I'm starting this course as a Mature also... any word on start date yet or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Need to start looking for somewhere to live!

• Advertisement

From what I can see, though I might be wrong so I'm open to correction, our orientation begins on Wednesday the 19th. I think orientation begins the week of Monday 17th, but I think we're not due in until the Wednesday. Did you receive the little booklet with the timetables for all of the courses in your welcome pack? It's a fold out thing.

Have any of you guys registered yet? I don't see the Sound Production or Digital Video modules, or have they made some changes to the names? I see there's one called Digital Storytelling...

I tried to register earlier today but nothing came up for me. I'll give it a look now.

Looks like I've encountered my first problem. :/ A few of the sections are coming up for me on the registration pages, contact details and so on, but under Subject Selection I get this;
    No subjects are currently loaded for registration, either you have completed your registration or no qualification registration has taken place.

I haven't completed registration, I don't know what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shiny495

I registered without any trouble.

Hmm. They seem to have changed a few of the modules around a bit. Still, at any rate it's nice to have the final proof that I'm doing this course.

Could just be because I'm a mature student or I could just be the unlucky one. There's always one and it's always me! :P I've sent the fees office an e-mail so hopefully I'll have it sorted soon!

What changes are you guys seeing that you didn't expect?

• Advertisement

Do we have a choice in Modules for 1st year? Never gave me the option to chose and says its now completed...?

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    Do we have a choice in Modules for 1st year? Never gave me the option to chose and says its now completed...?

Looks like we're in the same boat doogie! It's possible it's just an issue with mature students, try sending the fees office (fees@dcu.ie) an e-mail with your student number and such just in case, hopefully we'll be sorted soon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 monnelly1

hiya , I'm starting multimedia too and I was just curious to what type of laptop have people gotten or are getting for the course ?

I don't think a laptop will be required for the course, but if you're going to get one it might be a good idea to wait and see what others are getting, or if you really even need one, before you go ahead a get one. I'm not even sure that I'll get one yet, it depends on how things go.

So of those of you who have registered, does this look like what you have?

Programme Details
    Description: BSc in Multimedia
    Mode of Study: FULL-TIME
    Academic Period: YEAR LONG
    Year: LEVEL ONE (FIRST YEAR)
    Module Details
    CM107 Introduction to Social Studies
    CM122 Photography and Design 1
    CM131 Multimedia Studies
    CM132 Digital Storytelling
    CM142 Authoring
    CM143 Designing Websites
    CM144 Writing for Media
    CM152 Psychology, Media and Creativity

I sent an e-mail to fees (who replied within minutes at 11pm so fair play! :D) and I think they automatically registered me or something.
    Does this look like what you guys have or am I missing anything?

So of those of you who have registered, does this look like what you have?

Programme Details
    Description: BSc in Multimedia
    Mode of Study: FULL-TIME
    Academic Period: YEAR LONG
    Year: LEVEL ONE (FIRST YEAR)
    Module Details
    CM107 Introduction to Social Studies
    CM122 Photography and Design 1
    CM131 Multimedia Studies
    CM132 Digital Storytelling
    CM142 Authoring
    CM143 Designing Websites
    CM144 Writing for Media
    CM152 Psychology, Media and Creativity

Yes, that's exactly what showing up for me.

Perfect thanks, it seemed like there were too few modules showing up but I suppose it has to do with the changes they're making to the course at the moment. If everyone else has the same thing I'm happy though! :P

That's what I've got too. Relieved it's not just me, so I obviously didn't make a mess of it! I've just logged into my portal and seen the timetable, Sound Production 1 is coming up.

I think we'll be doing a lot of stuff on Macs, but as far as I'm aware it's not a requirement to actually get one.

And all our modules this year are core. We get to choose some next year.

Just got my first look at the timetable today. Looks good at a glance. Not long to go now.

Is it just me or is there nothing on Fridays?

I've done the Multimedia course before in a different college and there, all work was done on Mac's, it's not vital to have one but it helps. I switched to Mac's 7 years ago and haven't looked back since. Best out there.

Anybody know the date classes start yet?

• Advertisement

Shiny495 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there nothing on Fridays?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nope, nothing on Fridays. Lovely! I hope it stays that way, because the timetables could change between now and then.

Classes start on Monday 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

How do you view the timetable for DCU courses?

How do you view the timetable for DCU courses?

If you log into the "My Portal" section, linked at the top of the DCU website you're taken your own personal page. Somewhere in the middle there's a box with links to your timetable.

If you log into the "My Portal" section, linked at the top of the DCU website you're taken your own personal page. Somewhere in the middle there's a box with links to your timetable.

Sorted it out actually, cheers anyway. Do we have 19 hours a week for Multimedia yeah?

Sorted it out actually, cheers anyway. Do we have 19 hours a week for Multimedia yeah?

I counted less than that. It looks like we're split into two groups for certain things, so the timetable gives the same lecture twice in a day in some cases, one for each group.

I counted less than that. It looks like we're split into two groups for certain things, so the timetable gives the same lecture twice in a day in some cases, one for each group.

So is it like the lectures are for everyone and then we each have 1 seminar a day? That would make it 15 hours, which is grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

First year Communications, not Multimedia, but apparently these two courses and Journalism mix a lot, so, hi guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

thats right, they usually spilt the class alphabetically by last name. So you may get to know one half the class better in the seminars where you get to talk and work together. For the first few assignments lecturers tend to put you in groups until you know people to choose who you work with. If one class suits you more than another you can sometimes ask a lecturer if you can switch time providing they have room.

Theres not too many class hours but you need that free time for assignments , so don't go getting a job filling all the time your not in class. your classmates will rely on you to be available once in a while for assignments. In 2nd and 3rd year I only had about 12 hours a week but was still very busy.

• Advertisement

Noodleworm wrote: »
    thats right, they usually spilt the class alphabetically by last name. So you may get to know one half the class better in the seminars where you get to talk and work together. For the first few assignments lecturers tend to put you in groups until you know people to choose who you work with. If one class suits you more than another you can sometimes ask a lecturer if you can switch time providing they have room.

Theres not too many class hours but you need that free time for assignments , so don't go getting a job filling all the time your not in class. your classmates will rely on you to be available once in a while for assignments. In 2nd and 3rd year I only had about 12 hours a week but was still very busy.

Thanks for the advice! I figured we would need to spend a lot of free time on assignments. Just wondering if there are ever any problems with devoting enough time to societies? I was planning on playing football and also getting involved with the radio station, which I think would be very handy for practising the skills we learn on the course anyway.

Advertisement